Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo 4G63 ENGINE WITH 2JZ PISTONS, CRANKSHAFT 2.2L UPGRADE - Need Advise & Input

ericemir

Aug 25, 2010
P.J
Hi ALL SIFU,
I owned a Mitsubishi AIRTREK Turbo 2.0.

I have questions and need a guide. As I planned with my mechanic to rebuild the engine with 2JZ pistons, crankshaft 2.2L, and pistons rod, maybe the rod going to use the PAJERO piston rod.

In addition, I'm installing refurbished TD05HR, EVO 7 Tomei exhaust extractor, camshafts the three taken out from EVO 7 G-TA. Plus, Mishimoto EVO 7 Universal performance intercooler.

Since this is my project car before I proceed with it, can any of you SIFU's comment on this setup? Last and not least, the car still running AUTO.

Thank you,
Eric

Hi ALL SIFU,
I owned a Mitsubishi AIRTREK Turbo 2.0.

I have questions and need a guide. As I planned with my mechanic to rebuild the engine with 2JZ pistons, crankshaft 2.2L, and pistons rod, maybe the rod going to use the PAJERO piston rod.

In addition, I'm installing refurbished TD05HR, EVO 7 Tomei exhaust extractor, camshafts the three taken out from EVO 7 G-TA. Plus, Mishimoto EVO 7 Universal performance intercooler.

Since this is my project car before I proceed with it, can any of you SIFU's comment on this setup? Last and not least, the car still running AUTO.

Thank you,
Eric
Is this recipe your mechanics suggestion or your own? If it's his suggestion then make sure he knows he's doing it and will be willing to warranty it.

Why the GTA camshafts?

For the Mishimoto you can do better imho for that kinda price. Like PWR brand instead.

• Love
Reactions: ericemir

Should convert to manual, bigger difference in fun factor and acceleration feel than doing all those engine mods you're planning. Many Airtrek owners ended up converting to manual even after doing all kinds of engine mods.

GTA cams are the same with Airtrek, so no need to change to that.

Anyway modding turbo cars all comes down to your target power/performance, and how much budget you are willing to spend, then find a balance between these 2 aspects. If I were you, I'd get Evo 9 turbo instead, also Evo 9 Bypass Valve cuz it's metal (can hold up to 25psi), convert to front mount intercooler, add AEM water/methanol injection.

Btw where do you do your mods?

• Love
Reactions: ericemir and Tom

ericemir

Aug 25, 2010
P.J
Hi Sifu,
After studying deeper. I think I will pull back with the mechanic idea to upgrade 2.2L pistons, rod and the crankshaft. I have bail out from that workshop and sent my car to D'Tuning Sg Buloh instead.

Going to overhaul the stock engine. Removed the stock intercooler and replace with mishimoto evo 7 race intercooler with new piping and the HKS SSQV 4. Then refurbished TD05HR and Tomei Banana taken from Evo 7 GTA with exhaust down pipe. Evo X injectors. Setrab 25 rows oil cooler. Re wiring the car for standalone. K20 coils with maxxecu MINI. And existing 3 inch exhaust from HKS taken from halfcut.

What do you think? Since I have all the said parts with me, just install it with the with overhauled engine at D'Tuning.

Please comment Sifuuuu. TQ TQ TQ

Should convert to manual, bigger difference in fun factor and acceleration feel than doing all those engine mods you're planning. Many Airtrek owners ended up converting to manual even after doing all kinds of engine mods.

GTA cams are the same with Airtrek, so no need to change to that.

Anyway modding turbo cars all comes down to your target power/performance, and how much budget you are willing to spend, then find a balance between these 2 aspects. If I were you, I'd get Evo 9 turbo instead, also Evo 9 Bypass Valve cuz it's metal (can hold up to 25psi), convert to front mount intercooler, add AEM water/methanol injection.

Btw where do you do your mods?

ericemir

Aug 25, 2010
P.J
Is this recipe your mechanics suggestion or your own? If it's his suggestion then make sure he knows he's doing it and will be willing to warranty it.

Why the GTA camshafts?

For the Mishimoto you can do better imho for that kinda price. Like PWR brand instead.
Hi Izso,
Like I have replied to other sifu. i bailed out from that workshop since the setup doesnt focus on what I need. At the end i still runs on automatic. Even goes to 2.2L, even give more power. The gearbox cannot take it for long run. So i go with the setup as mentioned/replied to 5UE5t.

Please comment and advise. TQ TQ

Hi Sifu,
After studying deeper. I think I will pull back with the mechanic idea to upgrade 2.2L pistons, rod and the crankshaft. I have bail out from that workshop and sent my car to D'Tuning Sg Buloh instead.

Going to overhaul the stock engine. Removed the stock intercooler and replace with mishimoto evo 7 race intercooler with new piping and the HKS SSQV 4. Then refurbished TD05HR and Tomei Banana taken from Evo 7 GTA with exhaust down pipe. Evo X injectors. Setrab 25 rows oil cooler. Re wiring the car for standalone. K20 coils with maxxecu MINI. And existing 3 inch exhaust from HKS taken from halfcut.

What do you think? Since I have all the said parts with me, just install it with the with overhauled engine at D'Tuning.

Please comment Sifuuuu. TQ TQ TQ
Hmm if you're gonna OH anyway, might as well stroke the motor to 2.3 ltr fir bigger torque which should help response with tour AT gearbox. Few other things I'd suggest:
ARP head studs for added strength so that it can hold high boost better.
- kevlar timing belts for added safety
- ATI damper to reduce engine vibrations.

Just not sure on Maxxecu cuz never heard anyone use it on Evos. We usually use Link G4+ plugin.

But again all depends on how much power you're targeting and how much budget. So far you haven't mentioned at all those 2 aspects which are actually the starting point that dictates what you'd need or not.

ericemir

Aug 25, 2010
P.J
Hmm if you're gonna OH anyway, might as well stroke the motor to 2.3 ltr fir bigger torque which should help response with tour AT gearbox. Few other things I'd suggest:
ARP head studs for added strength so that it can hold high boost better.
- kevlar timing belts for added safety
- ATI damper to reduce engine vibrations.

Just not sure on Maxxecu cuz never heard anyone use it on Evos. We usually use Link G4+ plugin.

But again all depends on how much power you're targeting and how much budget. So far you haven't mentioned at all those 2 aspects which are actually the starting point that dictates what you'd need or not.
Okay Sifu. Kevlar timing belt and ATI damper ya. Let me check it out.

But from what D Tuning told me, Mishimoto Race intercooler cater up to 600whp + TD05 im installing..will be slightly lagged. Is the lagged going to annoyed me even im driving automatic? He said max 3sec lagged. Plus he said even GTA have similiar lagged.

please comment

Hi Izso,
Like I have replied to other sifu. i bailed out from that workshop since the setup doesnt focus on what I need. At the end i still runs on automatic. Even goes to 2.2L, even give more power. The gearbox cannot take it for long run. So i go with the setup as mentioned/replied to 5UE5t.

Please comment and advise. TQ TQ
Smart man. The auto is the weak spot here.

My question to is :

1. Why would you want to change to a "race" intercooler? What is the purpose? Your engine looks pretty stock and turbo TD05 is stock too I think? 3 sec lag is a lot bro. I dunno la.. you decide what to use cuz it's your car but for me, I'd look for a way to simplify the car since it's pretty much stock. For me I like response, so any sort of lag I cannot accept. Shop around and ask your otais who have the same car what combination do they have and see which one you like then just go with that. If you have a good budget, look at reputable brands like PWR go for their products.

2. What do you plan to do with the Evo X injectors and K20 coilpacks? I don't know how large/small the Evo X injector is so I won't comment on that. K20 coilpacks are overrated la and they are expensive. Since you're going to go standalone consider other options. The Vios coilpacks are surprisingly versatile and provide equally good spark and is much cheaper. But ultimately it depends on your mech and whether or not he knows what he doing.

Good luck with your modding bro

Okay Sifu. Kevlar timing belt and ATI damper ya. Let me check it out.

But from what D Tuning told me, Mishimoto Race intercooler cater up to 600whp + TD05 im installing..will be slightly lagged. Is the lagged going to annoyed me even im driving automatic? He said max 3sec lagged. Plus he said even GTA have similiar lagged.

please comment
Again the question is how much power are you targeting? 600hp? If 600 hp then surely your turbo and AT gearbox cannot make it. If just around 260-300hp as per the limit of the turbo then you don't need that bigger intercooler. Stock Evo CT9A intercooler is already sufficient for up to 400hp without adding more lag. FYI on my Evo 9 I already make almost 400whp yet I still just use stock intercooler. Cuz like bro Izso, response is important to me so I want minimal lag and my target power is around 350-400 hence stock intercooler is still enough.

ericemir

Aug 25, 2010
P.J
Again the question is how much power are you targeting? 600hp? If 600 hp then surely your turbo and AT gearbox cannot make it. If just around 260-300hp as per the limit of the turbo then you don't need that bigger intercooler. Stock Evo CT9A intercooler is already sufficient for up to 400hp without adding more lag. FYI on my Evo 9 I already make almost 400whp yet I still just use stock intercooler. Cuz like bro Izso, response is important to me so I want minimal lag and my target power is around 350-400 hence stock intercooler is still enough.
Hi Sifu, the target max 250-300bhp for this setup. The Mishimoto Intercooler is with me, brought back from US. Here is the URL to the product. It says stock to 600WHP.

Please advise. Your knowledge is important to me. Thank you very much, Sir.

ericemir

Aug 25, 2010
P.J
Smart man. The auto is the weak spot here.

My question to is :

1. Why would you want to change to a "race" intercooler? What is the purpose? Your engine looks pretty stock and turbo TD05 is stock too I think? 3 sec lag is a lot bro. I dunno la.. you decide what to use cuz it's your car but for me, I'd look for a way to simplify the car since it's pretty much stock. For me I like response, so any sort of lag I cannot accept. Shop around and ask your otais who have the same car what combination do they have and see which one you like then just go with that. If you have a good budget, look at reputable brands like PWR go for their products.

2. What do you plan to do with the Evo X injectors and K20 coilpacks? I don't know how large/small the Evo X injector is so I won't comment on that. K20 coilpacks are overrated la and they are expensive. Since you're going to go standalone consider other options. The Vios coilpacks are surprisingly versatile and provide equally good spark and is much cheaper. But ultimately it depends on your mech and whether or not he knows what he doing.

Good luck with your modding bro
Hey Man, thanks for the comment. Yes, after asking here and there. Like we used to say, malu bertanya sesat jalan, but not for me, I asked around. So after calculating all the misc costs, I think to upgrade to 2.2L the cost goes double.

1. I brought back the race intercooler from the US. Kept it for the GTA, but didn't use it at all. So, I planned to put it on to this coming setup on the AIRTREK.
Here is the URL. It says stocks to 600WHP. I got the black one.

2. The injectors already inside the car now, bought it half cut. and the K20 coil packs with IRIDIUM plugs as well bought it. Sometimes gatal gatal see parts DENSO..oh cheap buy simpan. That's why I got this barang with me:

1. TD05HR (FULL RECON IT). Taken from GT-A
2. TOMEI Banana Taken from GT-A
3. Mishimoto Intercooler evo 7 (black)
4. SSQV 4 HKS
5. MAXXECU
6. K20 Coilpacks (DENSO)

all this item already with me. Thanks for your input. Your advice is important for me, Tq Sir.

Hi Sifu, the target max 250-300bhp for this setup. The Mishimoto Intercooler is with me, brought back from US. Here is the URL to the product. It says stock to 600WHP.

Please advise. Your knowledge is important to me. Thank you very much, Sir.
Hmm ok since you've gotten all those parts then might as well use them.

Now another question, is the engine now having issues that you need to OH it, or you just want to rebuild it? Cuz if the engine still pretty healthy, then no need to OH to get to your target power. At most just do top OH to clean up the head and install ARP studs so you can save a bit and use the budget more effectively other things like the kevlar timing belt, ATI damper, or other needed repairs.

BTW 300whp with what you got will be tough, 250-260 is more realistic.

ericemir

Aug 25, 2010
P.J
Hmm ok since you've gotten all those parts then might as well use them.

Now another question, is the engine now having issues that you need to OH it, or you just want to rebuild it? Cuz if the engine still pretty healthy, then no need to OH to get to your target power. At most just do top OH to clean up the head and install ARP studs so you can save a bit and use the budget more effectively other things like the kevlar timing belt, ATI damper, or other needed repairs.

BTW 300whp with what you got will be tough, 250-260 is more realistic.
Hi Sifu,
The engine is OK. but it's engine lantai. just want to OH it for safety. I'm going to drive again after covid KL-Krabi-Bangkok-Laos. :driver: OK, let me talk to the mechanic to take a look on ARP. KEVLAR already put on the list after your suggestions.

I'm still thinking on the Mishimoto intercooler + TD05HR. The lagged will come in bad way or still OK?Just wondering how Evo7 GT-A works? Is it lagged or just OK? What do you think? Can ECU tuning able to tackle this?

250bhp is cool for me.

Hi Sifu,
The engine is OK. but it's engine lantai. just want to OH it for safety. I'm going to drive again after covid KL-Krabi-Bangkok-Laos. :driver: OK, let me talk to the mechanic to take a look on ARP. KEVLAR already put on the list after your suggestions.

I'm still thinking on the Mishimoto intercooler + TD05HR. The lagged will come in bad way or still OK?Just wondering how Evo7 GT-A works? Is it lagged or just OK? What do you think? Can ECU tuning able to tackle this?

250bhp is cool for me.
Seems the Mishimoto is overkill and too big as it supports up to 600hp while you're not even reaching half that. Stock intercooler is already the best match for td05. My 9 already close to 400whp with slightly bigger HKS turbo yet I am still using stock intercooler.

Hey Man, thanks for the comment. Yes, after asking here and there. Like we used to say, malu bertanya sesat jalan, but not for me, I asked around. So after calculating all the misc costs, I think to upgrade to 2.2L the cost goes double.

1. I brought back the race intercooler from the US. Kept it for the GTA, but didn't use it at all. So, I planned to put it on to this coming setup on the AIRTREK.
Here is the URL. It says stocks to 600WHP. I got the black one.

2. The injectors already inside the car now, bought it half cut. and the K20 coil packs with IRIDIUM plugs as well bought it. Sometimes gatal gatal see parts DENSO..oh cheap buy simpan. That's why I got this barang with me:

1. TD05HR (FULL RECON IT). Taken from GT-A
2. TOMEI Banana Taken from GT-A
3. Mishimoto Intercooler evo 7 (black)
4. SSQV 4 HKS
5. MAXXECU
6. K20 Coilpacks (DENSO)

all this item already with me. Thanks for your input. Your advice is important for me, Tq Sir.
Sudah beli.. pakai-je la.

Whatever the case - just remember your gearbox saja. Once you overhaul and mod your engine with all those parts, just make sure your tuner knows what he's doing with the wiring and tuning of the MaxxEcu. Which model MaxxEcu did you buy?

I think it's good to have 'overhead', you might not full use those components to its fullest potential but at least you have it there for the day you're ready to go manual and 600hp.

But like what 6uest said - all those parts put together maybe a comfortable 300hp max. The tuner should be able to tune out some of the lag or just make the car nice to drive.

Good luck bro

Hey guys,

I've heard several stories of shops charging customers for doing balancing off wheel and then charging them again for doing off wheel balancing. Please be careful and take note:

For example: If a shop takes your tyre out and balances it, charges RM5 and then put it back on your car.... drives your car and then finds it's still out of balance and then he chooses to do an 'on wheel' balancing and charges you RM30 he SHOULD NOT charge you the other RM5 earlier simply because he was...