Mika Hakkinen back to F1

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL

updatef1.com said:
Nov.22 (GMM) Despite McLaren's recent denial, speculation persists that 1998 and 1999 champion Mika Hakkinen could line up alongside Fernando Alonso at the team in 2007.

Finn Hakkinen, 38, retired from formula one in 2001 but recently clocked up some miles at the wheel of McLaren's sophisticated driver simulator at its Woking base.

Meanwhile, the Spanish newspaper 'Marca' is now reporting that, at the Ron Dennis led team's behest, Hakkinen underwent a physical examination in view of returning to the cockpit in the near future.

With Pedro de la Rosa and Lewis Hamilton also in the frame, the Mercedes-powered team is expected to announce its 2007 lineup before the turn of the new year.

'Marca' claims that Hakkinen underwent the medical assessment on Monday, a week after chief executive Martin Whitmarsh said: "We currently have no plans to run Mika alongside Alonso next year. The identity of our second driver will be announced in due course."
Will the famous flying finn make a come back to F1 next year???:angel_smile:

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Mika Hakkinen to test in Spain

updatef1.com said:
Nov.28 (GMM) 1998 and 1999 world champion Mika Hakkinen will test a McLaren when the winter period kicks off at Circuit de Catalunya this week, according to newspaper reports in Spain.

The 38-year-old Finn left formula one in 2001, but returned last year to the DTM touring car series and has in recent days been doing laps in the Woking based team's computer simulator.

Ron Dennis admitted this week that Hakkinen is 'keen to contribute' to McLaren's F1 programme.

The team principal added: "On the basis that Kimi (Raikkonen) and Juan Pablo Montoya not being available and not being appropriate to the work we are doing for next year, Mika can evaluate some of the things we are developing and bringing to the car."

Spain's Diario As contends that McLaren 'intend to take advantage of (Hakkinen's) experience with Bridgestone tyres' at the test.

The newspaper did not say on which of the three days in Barcelona Hakkinen would test.

The sports daily 'Marca', meanwhile, headlined the latest Hakkinen rumour as predicting that the Finn is going to be McLaren's 'sport advisor' in 2007.

Hakkinen, at the McLaren factory again this week, was quoted as saying: "It is just rumours. It is still my objective to be in the DTM but if McLaren asks me to help them then I am very happy to do that."

Dennis, meanwhile, reportedly said: "Mika's presence is going to be very important. He is incredibly enthusiastic, he knows this team inside-out and is going to help us to develop the car."
Mika Hakkinen will help boost Mclaren to the top of the league.
Mika RULEZ!!!:shades_smile:

drMpower

May 1, 2006
Love to see Mika is back. And hoping he really do. McLaren Mercedes rocks!

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Rusty Mika clocks slow time in first test for McLaren

thestar online said:
LONDON: Former world champion Mika Hakkinen tested with McLaren yesterday for the first time since he retired from Formula One five years ago.
The 38-year-old Finn startd off with a handful of installation laps on a cold but clear morning at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya.
His initial pace was well off the leading times, to be expected from a driver who last raced with McLaren at the 2001 Japanese Grand Prix.
McLaren, who failed to win a race last year and are switching from Michelin to Bridgestone tyres now that Formula One has a single supplier, have said that they are looking for some useful feedback.
Hakkinen, who has spent the last two seasons in the DTM German touring car series, dismissed suggestions on Wednesday that the test was more of a promotional stunt.
“Obviously I do have memories, understanding and feelings from when I used to race,” he said. “My feedback from many years of F1 will be very valuable info and all this is something good.”
Hakkinen was testing with British rookie Lewis Hamilton.
McLaren's other 2007 driver, double champion Fernando Alonso, does not join from Renault until the New Year.
On Wednesday, young Japanese driver Kamui Kobayashi made his test debut with Toyota.
The 20-year-old, who is due to compete in the junior F3 Euro series next year, completed 81 laps in Barcelona with a best lap time of 1:20.731.
He was the slowest of the 18 drivers present.
“I made a mistake just before lunch and went off but there was no damage and we were able to put in a lot of laps without any other problems,” he said in a team statement. “The G-forces are a lot stronger than I have been used to, but my neck doesn't feel too bad so far.” – Reuters
My, my.
Mika was slow for the first testing since 5 years ago.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Mika, the true F1 gentlemen is behind the V8 for this McLaren testing.
His connection with Ron Dennis never faded.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
I think Mclaren has confirmed Lewis Hamilton as the second driver next year. So there should be no question about him rejoining Mclaren. Its almost impossible for him to race for Mclaren. He's just too old and he would struggle to keep up pace with Alonso, let alone Kimi in a Ferrari.

Mika, however is my all time hero. He's one of the reason why i started watching F1.

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
mmm .... coming back after Schumy left? .. i tot i could see him have those tight corners with Schumy .. haha .. its okay, i think Mika shall take the world champ title after Schumy .. :)

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
contribute to the development to mclaren = "drivers imput"

not race for mc laren. Lewis Hamilton = almost from zero on the going with team in mc laren. alonso...busy holidaying.

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Alonso can do nothing.
He can only join McLaren after New Year.
Contract with Renault not yet end.

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
mika is a fast and precise driver... even better than Michael at times... but that was years ago... years that was passed without any worries of having his kid growing up a father...

i would doubt mika would be as fast as he used to be even he is back in the sport... the reason he left previously was because of his family if i am not wrong... whether he want to dedicate more time to his kid or he is afraid of getting involved in a fatal accident... he will always have worries that will limit his driving...

this era will belong to the new batch of drivers... Alonso, Kimi and the next possible upcomming star of F1...

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
i would still like to see kimi fly...
Mclaren really let him down this 2 seasons...
anyway, mika is sometimes a sore loser to me...now that Shuey is out of the way; plan to come back and win back titles that he never really won for the past how many years?!...
Nevertheless my support is still towards Mclaren. As long as the driver can to his job and the engine is reliable; any changes is fine.

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
b00n said:
i would still like to see kimi fly...
Mclaren really let him down this 2 seasons...
anyway, mika is sometimes a sore loser to me...now that Shuey is out of the way; plan to come back and win back titles that he never really won for the past how many years?!...
Nevertheless my support is still towards Mclaren. As long as the driver can to his job and the engine is reliable; any changes is fine.
he is no sore loser lar... your "sore loser" will offend a lot of tai kors here :P

he was on a winning roll when he left... if he never left... we would doubt if michael would have won 5 of his WDC with Ferrari..

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
like I say...personal opinion...no offence intended.
Anyway, reliability of Mclaren let him and Kimi down.
Same with Ferrari during Alonso's reign...

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
butthead said:
he is no sore loser lar... your "sore loser" will offend a lot of tai kors here :P

he was on a winning roll when he left... if he never left... we would doubt if michael would have won 5 of his WDC with Ferrari..
I agreed with butthead.
When Mika left F1, he was dubbed the sole driver that have the ability to stop shcumacher from winning the F1 crown at that time!

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
somtimes the problem doesn't really lies with the driver...
it's the reliability and the capability of the machine too.
no doubt that driver's skills do matter when both car has the same capabilty and reliability.
Mika's car really let him down during his last season; stilll remember the gearbox gave way during the last lap while he's leading. Tragic and unfortunate! But suprisingly, Kimi's car was superb during that particular season...
wonder why?!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Does anybody knows where to get bump stops/rubber stopper for HWL MYVI coilovers?

Currently, im facing issues with tyre scraping fender for the rear part as my rims are wide with low offset and the rear coilovers are abit soft...

i've been advised to either roll fenders or install bump stop to prevent excessive movement of absorber.

If anyone here selling or knows a place where i can get them, do drop a reply here

Im located in KL/PJ

Many thanks in advance fellow petrol heads...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience