mess up paint job

kenzo

6,000 RPM
Guyz i need ur help, since's u guyz are DIY experts, i mess up my paint job on my gen2 door panel, here's wat i did.

1. i wash the panel and clean it properly and dried it.
2. i then sprayed the coating and left it to dry under the sun for 10 mins
3. then i sprayed the black paint on the door and left it under the sun for 10 mins
4. and i sprayed the coating and dried it under the sun for also 10 mins
5. then sprayed back the black paint and dried it under the sun for 10 mins
6. and another 1 more time coating and under the sun for 10 mins

took me 4 hours and i was happy with the results, but the paint was peeling off abit by bits, and a scracth could see the original colour again,and one more thing is after i sprayed the coating, the paint started to be rougfh, wat should i do?? i used the anchor spray can and the colour code is H2...it's RM18 per can! ur help is much appriciated, thanks guyz!

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
honestly, i dun think u washed it enough, or during the drying process after washing, u gotta make sure no dust falls on top

H2.. if not mistaken that is matte black, or also called flat back rite??

what is this coating that u are talking about?
clear coat or something else?

ken yeang, ps. i think he meant the door panels inside the car

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Dark accoon and Kenzo

If Kenzo meant inside panel, then just ignore my post no 4.

ashton

Jul 8, 2006
how do u guys do ur own paint?i thot theyre supposed to use that sprayer machine to paint?!

FoarGeez

Known Member
Jun 20, 2005
Koala Loompour
i dunno much bout paint cuz i basically didn learn about it deeply, but if u planning to do it again nex time, i would suggest using a 'Primer' b4 gettin the color on.. this basically acts like a glue n also enchance the color for the final result.

but primer its kinda hard to find a spray can type, most of the shops selling in liquid type bcoz most of car paint shops use airbrush for finer smooth finishing... theres only one brand i know which is 'Matahari' brand..

i did a small diy recently using those.. will post it soon if got d time.. cheers...

Last edited:

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Yes what FoarGeez said was right. You need to use a primer 1st before spraying on the actual coats of paint. Last time I was DIYing my grille, I used a primer before the actual coat and it turned out fine. Just remember to follow the instructions on the primer.

Try Ace Hardware. They usually sell this kind of stuff.

pening99

Known Member
Sep 24, 2005
KL
use fine grade sand paper to remove the old paint that u have spray to the panel. make sure u sand all the black paint n then wash it with soap wait until it dry n then spray again with only black paint layer by layer until u puas hati

sory im not good with english but im learning

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
i tot there's something to be apply first before spray on plastic? is it gold oil? sorry dunno wa tit call

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
if u do not want to use primer paint for plastic or cant find it.. u can just use the paint for plastic... u can get this kinda paint from ACE Hardware... brand is Krylon... but not cheap oh... around RM30 per can if not mistaken....

vyruzj

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
Primer = Enamel paint??

Guys,

Currently i have a can or enamel which is bought frm Ace hardware. Is this thing similar to primer?

I have tested the enamel spray on a clean surface. The enamel felt sticky when i touch it. Can i use it on plastics?

jswong

Known Member
Dec 30, 2004
KHGuan,

Yeah, Krylon Fusion sticks damn well on plastics. It's not cheap, but there's absolutely no mistake. It's next to impossible to overspray with Krylon, believe me. Try it once and you'll see it's a great investment. You can be spraying continuously on one single spot, and it won't drip or smudge. Krylon is THAT good.

The enamel thing is not really a primer, but it's good enough as one. I use it as a primer. Not all enamels are created equal. That enamel from Ace has some adhesive for the base or solvent, that's why it's so sticky. The flash-off time is around 15 minutes, but you can still leave your fingerprint if you touch it a little harder. It's within this period that you can spray a thin, even coat of normal acryllic paint over it. Somehow I find that it bonds to the enamel very well. Since the solvents are different, you won't get the thinner-versus-thinner problem as when you spray acryllic on acryllic. So, you won't get bubbles from under the surface, or the black underlayer rising to the top.

It'll stick to just about anything. Even wood. But it drips damn easily, and it also smudges easily because it's sticky. Lay thin, even layers, that'll do the trick.

lanlee

Jun 4, 2006
paint job

told by somebody that primer can't be mix with other paint with not the same brand. try to use same brand of paint products. 3 type of paint, enamel, lacquer and urethane. all those type of paint can't mix together. to paint a plastic surface, must add flex addative or the paint will be crack(with spraygun). spraying using canspray, a thin layer at a time or the finishing will be rought. always finish with clear coat to get that shining surface.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

ok .. here goes.... im having difficulties on my next project here... i have an E-Class 1995 Mercedes. I have researched and asked many people stating that i need to place in a Toyota Supra or Celica engine... what do you guys thinks... how much will that cost? will that effect any of the handling? will it make it even better or worsen...my budjet is aroung 60k.. please help me here...cheers
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience