McLaren confirms no Alonso for 2008

MeraBoy

Feb 6, 2007

Fernando Alonso’s manager has confirmed that the 26-year-old Spaniard is free to leave McLaren ahead of the 2008 season. Widespread Spanish sources - including the news agency EFE and newspapers Diario As, El Mundo Deportivo and Marca - said Alonso’s legal representatives successfully negotiated a split in meetings at McLaren’s Woking (UK) headquarters on Thursday and Friday morning. The double world champion, who signed a multi year contract with boss Ron Dennis that began in 2007, reportedly does not need to pay any compensation to McLaren, and is free to join any rival team next year.
“Fernando will no longer be with McLaren,” Alonso’s manager Luis Garcia Abad is quoted as telling Diario As. He added: “I can confirm that. He is free to join any other team next season.”
A McLaren spokeswoman would not comment on the strengthening reports, but it is expected that the team will make an announcement about the newly vacant seat in the coming hours or days.

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Press Statement:
Woking, 2nd November 2007: Following a meeting between Fernando Alonso and McLaren, it was agreed that it would be in the best interests of both parties to bring the relationship to an end.
The mutual parting of ways has not been discussed until now, since it was felt that any such discussion could have seriously disrupted the team’s and Fernando’s 2007 Formula 1 World Championship challenge. Both parties believe that this was the right decision.
FERNANDO ALONSO:
“Since I was a boy I had always wanted to drive for McLaren, but sometimes in life things do not work out. I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team. Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra-challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home. I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win. Today’s decision allows all of us to focus on 2008, and I wish the team, Vodafone, Banco Santander, Mutua Madrileña and all the other team Partners who I have worked closely with during the year, the best for the future.”

RON DENNIS:
“Everybody at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, especially McLaren’s Spanish Partners Banco Santander and Mutua Madrileña and the team’s title partner Vodafone, want to wish Fernando all the best for the future. He is a great driver but for some reason the combination of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and Fernando has not really worked out, and in the end we reached a stage where none of us could find a way to move forward. We all believe that our joint decision to part company is for the best, and we will now continue to focus on our 2008 World Championship challenge.”

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes will announce any additions to its existing driver line-up in due course.

Source:
Motor Authority

Edward Chew

1,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.facebook.com
This is gonna be recorded in the history book... why McLaren is always so kind to let their driver leave without fine, like montoya. But in this case, of course they wanna get rid of alonso. haha

bien335

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2009
Johor Bahru
Buhbye Fernando!

McLaren's gonna find one bloke to fill in the seat perhaps..

An all British outfit maybe?

So, lets speculate

Whos gonna fill that seat?

Navy

Known Member
Jul 31, 2006
nick heidfeld is competitive this season..