MAF problem?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
At rpm 5.5k + rpm, my car hesitates and doesnt wanna go up... its just stays there, sometimes got a bit of jerk, and like misfires a bit, ill try my best to translate, sounds like this..... Shraaaaaaaaaa (3k-5.5k rpm) then...shhh.. shhh ...shhh... stays at around 5.8-6k rpm...

last friday, i removed the MAF, cleaned it with contact cleaner real good, cleaned the filter too... took it for a run, and it run really nice....all the way to 7k rpm.... so i thought problem solved. BUT, it started again yesterday, same issue.

I can 90% say its defnitely a faulty MAF right?

a new MAF will cost rm1.2k. instead of replacing this, i should just get a 3 bar map sensor and remove maf completely would be a better option?

airtrek turbo, td-05,tial wastegate,banana,greedy rs bov,hks cams, m7 ebc,with emanage ultimate. low boost 1bar, hi boost 1.5 bar, it happens even on hi or low boost.

any sifu's can advice....im still a virgin in F.I. :adore:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
At rpm 5.5k + rpm, my car hesitates and doesnt wanna go up... its just stays there, sometimes got a bit of jerk, and like misfires a bit, ill try my best to translate, sounds like this..... Shraaaaaaaaaa (3k-5.5k rpm) then...shhh.. shhh ...shhh... stays at around 5.8-6k rpm...

last friday, i removed the MAF, cleaned it with contact cleaner real good, cleaned the filter too... took it for a run, and it run really nice....all the way to 7k rpm.... so i thought problem solved. BUT, it started again yesterday, same issue.

a new MAF will cost rm1.2k. instead of replacing this, i should just get a 3 bar map sensor and remove maf completely would be a better option?

airtrek turbo, td-05,tial wastegate,banana,greedy rs bov,hks cams, m7 ebc,with emanage ultimate. low boost 1bar, hi boost 1.5 bar, it happens even on hi or low boost.

with an emanage ultimate shouldn't you be running a MAP sensor instead of a MAF :hmmmm:
MAP is definitely more durable then MAF which i seem to notice spoils a lot

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
thats the thing bro, right now the car is running on MAF still, the previous owner tuner/w'shop did it this way. so now, i wanted to know if i need to go MAP, i need to get the greedy 3 bar map sensor and retune right? and i can completely remove the MAF, so no need waste money replacing it.

and just wanted anybody to share if its more or less confirm my MAF is faulty.

after lots of reading i realised many people dont really favour the EMU.. :confused:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
thats the thing bro, right now the car is running on MAF still, the previous owner tuner/w'shop did it this way. so now, i wanted to know if i need to go MAP, i need to get the greedy 3 bar map sensor and retune right? and i can completely remove the MAF, so no need waste money replacing it.

and just wanted anybody to share if its more or less confirm my MAF is faulty.

after lots of reading i realised many people dont really favour the EMU.. :confused:
i feel that people tend to lean towards standalone because of the price of the EMU
and they opt for EMB if all they want is a piggyback
yeah you should take it to your regular tuning shop and ask them how much to convert to MAP and the cost of replacing the current MAF
but i think even if the cost is somehow more expensive for doing the MAP you should still go MAP because its just more reliable and the good thing is EMU can work with MAP so you better utilise the EMU

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
i feel that people tend to lean towards standalone because of the price of the EMU
and they opt for EMB if all they want is a piggyback
yeah you should take it to your regular tuning shop and ask them how much to convert to MAP and the cost of replacing the current MAF
but i think even if the cost is somehow more expensive for doing the MAP you should still go MAP because its just more reliable and the good thing is EMU can work with MAP so you better utilise the EMU
yeah its kind of pricey for a piggyback. and some sifus mentioned its a ok ok EMS, just not stable(datalogging not accurate) and a bit tedious to tune.

the costs of the MAF confirm is more expensive, cause the greedy 3 bar MAP sensor cost Rm3xx new. and tuning not so sure yet for EMU, lets say rm300. still cheaper than MAF sensor which is 1.2k+ just for sensor. at least by going MAP i get the car re-tuned by somebody i trust rather than the w/shop previous owner did it at.

but looking at my explanation, is it safe to say my MAF is F@#$ed?

Last edited:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
yeah its kind of pricey for a piggyback. and some sifus mentioned its a ok ok EMS, just not stable(datalogging not accurate) and a bit tedious to tune.

the costs of the MAF confirm is more expensive, cause the greedy 3 bar MAP sensor cost Rm3xx new. and tuning not so sure yet for EMU, lets say rm300. still cheaper than MAF sensor which is 1.2k+ just for sensor. at least by going MAP i get the car re-tuned by somebody i trust rather than the w/shop previous owner did it at.

but looking at my explanation, is it safe to say my MAF is F@#$ed?
hmmm cant be sure on my part also because I did not experience such symptoms before
hopefully more experienced sifus can chime in:adore:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
problem solved..got the car retuned...change to iridiums .. now boosting happily at high rev no probs...thanks.

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB

nice spec!!!! i better drive slowly....

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
ur car will makan me flat bro...auto cant make it...waiting for auto box to fail then convert manual...until then drive slow...family car... :)

NJK

Jul 29, 2018
KL
problem solved..got the car retuned...change to iridiums .. now boosting happily at high rev no probs...thanks.
Hi AD_EG, my airtrek is having a similar issue. I knew it is 9 years ago, but appreciate if you can share more detail about how you solve it? just retune and change sparkplug? MAF replace? Thanks!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

just came back from genting yumcha , there's a roadblock once exit Karak into GH intersection , apparently stopping all tinted cars , modded cars not sure as went up with a waja ... anyone kena ?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience