Lubricant In Air Filter Area

tuileihai

Mar 31, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Recently I found lubricant inside the air filter area of my 20 over year old Proton Iswara. All these times, even before the full overhaul, I did not have this problem. If I am not mistaken, I think this trouble started after the recent normal service (change oil & oil filter) The PCV valve is not blocked. What could be the culprit of this pressure building inside the crankcase?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Recently I found lubricant inside the air filter area of my 20 over year old Proton Iswara. All these times, even before the full overhaul, I did not have this problem. If I am not mistaken, I think this trouble started after the recent normal service (change oil & oil filter) The PCV valve is not blocked. What could be the culprit of this pressure building inside the crankcase?
How did you determine the PCV is not blocked? When you removed it did you hear the ball bearing sound when you shake it?

tuileihai

Mar 31, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Skimmed head, I not sure. What I did was I had a so-called full over-haul. To me it seems there is a built-up pressure in the crankcase. Recently lubricant was spilling out when the cap was not securely tighten.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Skimmed head, I not sure. What I did was I had a so-called full over-haul. To me it seems there is a built-up pressure in the crankcase. Recently lubricant was spilling out when the cap was not securely tighten.
Yeah, most likely the compression was increased. You have two solutions, add a OCT or increase the size of the PCV outlet but that's not really an easy solution.

tuileihai

Mar 31, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
This is what what the workshop did for me this afternoon. Fixed a white color plastic fuel filter. One tube is connected to one of the outlet at the valve cover, while the other outlet is fixed with a hose placed facing downward, to drain any excess oil should it get full. The outlet from the air filter case is now blocked off. Is this the right and proper way to do it?

Attachments

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
This is what what the workshop did for me this afternoon. Fixed a white color plastic fuel filter. One tube is connected to one of the outlet at the valve cover, while the other outlet is fixed with a hose placed facing downward, to drain any excess oil should it get full. The outlet from the air filter case is now blocked off. Is this the right and proper way to do it?
You can do it that way but instead of venting out to atmosphere, should connect back to manifold, the fuel filter will act as filter. When filter is dirty, just change it. I am doing it on both my old VR and old Hyundai....lol

Reactions: Izso

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You can do it that way but instead of venting out to atmosphere, should connect back to manifold, the fuel filter will act as filter. When filter is dirty, just change it. I am doing it on both my old VR and old Hyundai....lol
I remember adding a mini breather in the middle of the valve cover too to reduce the pressure. I can't remember! DAmmit

tuileihai

Mar 31, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Wait, what did I tip you? Oil catch? Yeah that's usually a good idea in most cars. Especially more on direct fuel injection cars.
Could you enlighten me. As I am of no car enthusiast, why suddenly my old car has this problem? All these 20 over years, I do not have lubricant in the air filter compartment. I suspected the one-year old overhaul job is the crux of this oily issue. I am also told by other car mechanics, there could be problem with the piston ring.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Could you enlighten me. As I am of no car enthusiast, why suddenly my old car has this problem? All these 20 over years, I do not have lubricant in the air filter compartment. I suspected the one-year old overhaul job is the crux of this oily issue. I am also told by other car mechanics, there could be problem with the piston ring.
When most people do a "full overhaul", the head is usually skimmed a bit so your compression is higher. I don't know if they changed your piston rings so assuming it's a proper full overhaul, those piston rings would be changed so blow-by gases wouldn't be the cause of your oily situation.

For emissions purposes all cars usually recirculate the blow-by back into the intake, so if that blow-by is oily, it'll just gather in your intake and result in lots of oil vapour and all caught in the filter or intake area. A higher compression also partially contributes to more pressure in the system aggravating the whole vapour situation. That's why adding a oil catch tank (or in your case a cheap petrol filter acting like an oil catch) stops all that oil vapour from recirculating back in to your intake.

Regarding the piston rings - full overhaul should have replaced those rings. If he's saying there's a problem then you better question the mech why wasn't the piston rings changed in the full overhaul. If it's just a top overhaul then those rings wouldn't be touched. A worn piston ring will usually have bluish or blackish exhaust smoke because of the engine oil burning off due to the bad seal from the piston ring.