Knowing RX8 Before Buying...

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I am planning to buy a RX8 automatic. What are the things that I should take note of? I heard that the rotary engine needs rebuilding every 100K. How much is the rebuilding cost? Is it that unreliable?

I am getting the car for my wife, there will not be any mods, maybe rims, plugs, KNN filter and exhaust. That's the most I'll plan. She'll be using the car to fetch kids to and from school and will always stuck in jam. Will it unreliable like breaking down?

Where are any good mechs in Klang Valley? Any advise are much appreciated. Thank you first.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Good info, thanks bro. What about engine reliability that needs rebuilding every 100k n how much it'll cost?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Thanks bro... I guess it's not too bad. Normal inline engines will need rebuilding/overhauling around 200K, so I guess it's acceptable. What are other issues with the car? My wife plans to use this car as a daily cow cart. Do you think it can withstand KL's traffic for hours daily? What other problems is with this car other than the engine compression issue?

I personally drives and Airtrek Turbo. Before I bought this car, I've heard countless comments and remarks about high maintenance, famous gearbox reliability issue, fuel guzzler and pain in the ass maintenance cost. After I use it almost 4 years now, I do not feel that. Fuel guzzler, I have no complaints because these kinda car are expected.

So that is why even I heard a lot about the RE motor reliability issue, I personally thinks that if one maintains it well, it'll last. Now the problem is finding a good one, any reckon? It has to be auto as my wife drives it.

- D i a b l o -

500 RPM
Sep 27, 2005
Shah Alam
bosstrain.blogspot.com
It can withstand daily use but I can vouch that it is not meant for such usage.. Even to someone who earns..the fuel economy can be quite a sting. On a full urban usage I get around 300km for a tank of RM140 on ron 97..but i have a lead foot

There are abundance of earlier model 4AT's around and at absolute bargain too..my office boss is selling his as well. The thing you should look for is the normal service and what kind of engine oil/fuel does it gets.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
bro, can it run on Ron95? My wife's car currently runs around 8-9km/L. I think if the FC is around 8km/L (like I read most places), it should be fine for me. My own car runs around 5.5-6km/L too.

Is your office's boss car OKAY? Is it serously up for sale? Can you pass me more info as I am interested in it. Thanks!

K2 stanley

Known Member
Mar 24, 2009
Ron95 is ok for using it but u need ECU tuning the fuel. If u drive the 8 for daily use remember to throw the middle cat to the bck or remove the cat completely bcoz it cause the cup holder there damn hot.
For the engine if u know how to take care it, it shouldn't give u any problem. There are a lots of 8 user is running more than 100k without rebuild engine but also hve some case 10k then bye bye.
Not sure about new rx8 but for the 2003-2005 version u need to check the coolant tank problem. Remember add ATF n oil cooler for the 8.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Thanks bro. I gather that I can use Ron 95.

Sure, I'll decat it and do some minor mod like intake and plugs. I'll keep it stock for my wife and I do not doubt the reliability. Thanks for all the comments n let's hope I can find one soon.

K2 stanley

Known Member
Mar 24, 2009
If use 95 remember tune the air fuel ratio, intake use drop in enough bcoz if u use open pod u will suffer in daily use especially use it in rotary engine.
Enjoy to b a rotary owner. :) The unique sound that no others engine can do.
Remember if u get it u must treat her like a 2nd wife.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Hi bro, I just paid deposit for the car. Tested it, not very powerful (as expected) but my wife loves it. It's her car anyway. I'll update more when I collect it next week. Thanks for the info. If I dun retune it, can it be driven with 95?

- D i a b l o -

500 RPM
Sep 27, 2005
Shah Alam
bosstrain.blogspot.com
Dont worry it can accept 95..modern rotary engine has improved and can detect knock pretty quickly..hence the bad performance on bad fuel in general.

The problem that usually surface for earlier models like mine are imminent flooding,radiator float issue and also electric steering rack issue which is pretty common but solvable. My advice will be against what most people which is to recommend and say this wont work that wont work..but rather try and be objective and know what you will be getting by reading around and seeing other examples.

Decat or not decat the cup holder will be hot and thats normal for the side console to be heated up too..a long term solution is to insulate the console with soundproof which has heat-deadening properties.I recommend doing that for the electric steering rack too as the reason why it deteriorate is due to the heat.

And lastly..welcome to the RX8 : )

K2 stanley

Known Member
Mar 24, 2009
yah oh forget about flooding issue. Hehehe Thanks diablo for remind this.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Thanks brothers! My loan is approved and now awaiting the new license plate to be registered (with my preferred number).

Well, I know about how people said that how unrealiable the car is. Before I bought my Airtrek Turbo 4 years ago, when I asked I was being told how fragile the automatic gearbox is (as if will breakdown anytime due to high powered engine) and how superbly high the maintenance is. Honestly after using it for 4 years now, the car is darn realiable. Maintenance and aging is unavoidable for sure.

It drinks like 5.5km/L when I nail it and when I drive as per usual, I am seeing 6.5-7km/L. Ok for me.

Additionally, I owned the mighty AE111 (SEG) 1996 before. People said how reliable it is but I bought a 4 year old car last time and used it for 3 years, I spent countless amount of money to just repair the leaks, bearing problem, brake problem etc etc. Neverending until I bought a new car to replace it.

So.... I only believe what I experienced, not what people said. :) Hence now, I am got the RX8! Thanks for the welcome.

- D i a b l o -

500 RPM
Sep 27, 2005
Shah Alam
bosstrain.blogspot.com
Great job bro! Use good engine oil..or premixed (2T + oil) oil straight away..i usually go old school by adding abit of 2T once every 2 or 3 tanks..it smell payau for sure but it pays off in the long run.

The easiest suitable mod that will improve handling that i did was the Stiff Ring / Rigid Collar..get one for the car straight away..will cost you a couple of hundred bucks..around 3 kot

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

I'll be bringing my mk3 Toyota Supra with a 1JZ twin-turbo engine with me to Malaysia soon.

And I was wondering where would be a good place to take my car if it needed a service. Are there any places who specialize in Toyota engines, specifically the 1JZ? I'll be living in Penang, so I don't really want to travel to KL every time I want to get my engine looked at.

Well hope you guys can help.

Cheers,
OzXchange
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience