JDM or Conti

redhatcode29

redhatcode29

Sep 11, 2021
Guys, i am looking at purchasing a RX-8, which i am aware that it is a rotary and fuel hog. Its just for my weekend drive. Manual transmission is around RM50k. The cons would be, no matter what the previous owner says about the engine, it may still fail and i would be looking at a rebuild at about RM8k or transplant, which is about 12k. The pros about a manual transmission RX-8 at this price range would be that it is maintained well than the much lower priced ones.

Alternatively if i get a much lower priced auto tranmission at about 34K, which mostly is going to need a rebuild of the engine and i do a half cut swap with a manual tranmission at about 12K, it then totals to much less and it secures that the engine is fine. In the event i do a rebuild of the engine, then RM8K.

I know that there would be other replacement and change of parts which may be due, such as ecu, alternator, absorber, bushes and bearings. But these do not cost much and i can gradually do it. I know the number of things that can fail, as i have an EG, which i almost changed every common part except for the air-cond.

HOWEVER

My initial plan was to get a E46 - 318 or 320 (now i feel that the looks of aE46 is much outdated), which then went on to a E46 CI (coupe) and is finally arrived at getting a E90 - 318 or 320. The E90 is not as reliable as the E46 though !! I think i could hopefully get a well maintained E98 at about 36K - 38K, which would cost me at least about 5K for initial maintenance. However the reviews i watch about E90 scares me, there could be rod bearings failure and injectors acting up, these i am sure ar going to cost at least 7-8k range of cost, which i won't be able to cope if there are future similar issue.

What do you guys suggest ? Options:

a) just shut up and get a FD 1.8 and live in peace
b) Get a SI, cant get crab, it's ok
c) dude just get a City at 40k ++ and be a law abiding citizen
d) go for a E46 CI, which will in the future have its value
e) safe up for a E92 ( but it may have the similar issues of the E90!!!)

All these options would be paid in cash as i cant afford instalments. My heart wants the RX-8, but men normally make much mistakes due to how something looks !! Also, i am not a racer boy, I don't do routine outstation trips, the RX-8 is just for pleasure, in fact i believe i could live with a auto transmission for the moment.

Last edited:

brokenjars

Known Member

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
Since it is your weekend ride, why not do a K20A transplant on your current EG? Then it can be a weekend and also main car since drivability is still good.

Or you can get an altezza with 1JZ. Less issues with loads of power and handling not bad.

Reactions: Izso

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I'd rather get an Altezza, either stock manual 6 spd or already with 1JZ. I got a friend who might want to sell his Altezza 1JZ already nicely done up.

redhatcode29

redhatcode29

Sep 11, 2021
Since it is your weekend ride, why not do a K20A transplant on your current EG? Then it can be a weekend and also main car since drivability is still good.

Or you can get an altezza with 1JZ. Less issues with loads of power and handling not bad.
an Eg, no matter how much of a modification is done, will still be an Eg. Further, i am not into it.

an Altezza was always on my mind, but that was a very long time ago, i feel the looks of it i quite dated.

I will take your reply as an yes for JDM !

brokenjars

Known Member

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
an Eg, no matter how much of a modification is done, will still be an Eg. Further, i am not into it.

an Altezza was always on my mind, but that was a very long time ago, i feel the looks of it i quite dated.

I will take your reply as an yes for JDM !
It will be a monster EG!! Gogo jdm!
Weekend ride dont have to look pretty or super comfort imo unless its for weekend group gathering.

Weekend ride but with comfort and superb handling and okok power, get the gt86.

redhatcode29

redhatcode29

Sep 11, 2021
It will be a monster EG!! Gogo jdm!
Weekend ride dont have to look pretty or super comfort imo unless its for weekend group gathering.

Weekend ride but with comfort and superb handling and okok power, get the gt86.
true it will be a monster and smack anyone who dares to cucuk. :)

idea of weekend car is to have a separate car :)

the 86 yeah, there is one in my neghbourhood, but its not for me coz i cant go on installments.
it looks good but not the real the celica as it was in the 70s. I watched it kena tapau in a drag race with 1series.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
no man, not my choice
How about a Clio Rs200? I think got a couple on sale around 60+k. If go JDM route, how about WRX v8 or if you want style get a MR2 turbo, got one on sale now for 60+, also already nicely done up. All those much better than any of your choices especially the RX8!

Reactions: redhatcode29

redhatcode29

redhatcode29

Sep 11, 2021
How about a Clio Rs200? I think got a couple on sale around 60+k. If go JDM route, how about WRX v8 or if you want style get a MR2 turbo, got one on sale now for 60+, also already nicely done up. All those much better than any of your choices especially the RX8!
the Mr2 was in my mind, unfortunately the price has shot up. Wrx is a great momser and but over my budget.

if yiu are talking about the Mr2 in Mudah, i did take a look at it, haha …… its tempting, but again, i am looking at 50k lump. I cant do installments.

even the MX 5 miata has shot up in price !

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
the Mr2 was in my mind, unfortunately the price has shot up. Wrx is a great momser and but over my budget.

if yiu are talking about the Mr2 in Mudah, i did take a look at it, haha …… its tempting, but again, i am looking at 50k lump. I cant do installments.

even the MX 5 miata has shot up in price !
There's 1 red MR2 in facebook asking 65k I think, already tuned to 300hp. But surely won't go down to 50k level.

Unfortunately not much you can get these days with 50k. To me Altezza is the best choice to play below this price level, can get around 30-40k stock. If you're ok with FWD, maybe Celica GTS, only around 30k.

Reactions: nw111

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Guys, i am looking at purchasing a RX-8, which i am aware that it is a rotary and fuel hog. Its just for my weekend drive. Manual transmission is around RM50k. The cons would be, no matter what the previous owner says about the engine, it may still fail and i would be looking at a rebuild at about RM8k or transplant, which is about 12k. The pros about a manual transmission RX-8 at this price range would be that it is maintained well than the much lower priced ones.

Alternatively if i get a much lower priced auto tranmission at about 34K, which mostly is going to need a rebuild of the engine and i do a half cut swap with a manual tranmission at about 12K, it then totals to much less and it secures that the engine is fine. In the event i do a rebuild of the engine, then RM8K.

I know that there would be other replacement and change of parts which may be due, such as ecu, alternator, absorber, bushes and bearings. But these do not cost much and i can gradually do it. I know the number of things that can fail, as i have an EG, which i almost changed every common part except for the air-cond.

HOWEVER

My initial plan was to get a E46 - 318 or 320 (now i feel that the looks of aE46 is much outdated), which then went on to a E46 CI (coupe) and is finally arrived at getting a E90 - 318 or 320. The E90 is not as reliable as the E46 though !! I think i could hopefully get a well maintained E98 at about 36K - 38K, which would cost me at least about 5K for initial maintenance. However the reviews i watch about E90 scares me, there could be rod bearings failure and injectors acting up, these i am sure ar going to cost at least 7-8k range of cost, which i won't be able to cope if there are future similar issue.

What do you guys suggest ? Options:

a) just shut up and get a FD 1.8 and live in peace
b) Get a SI, cant get crab, it's ok
c) dude just get a City at 40k ++ and be a law abiding citizen
d) go for a E46 CI, which will in the future have its value
e) safe up for a E92 ( but it may have the similar issues of the E90!!!)

All these options would be paid in cash as i cant afford instalments. My heart wants the RX-8, but men normally make much mistakes due to how something looks !! Also, i am not a racer boy, I don't do routine outstation trips, the RX-8 is just for pleasure, in fact i believe i could live with a auto transmission for the moment.
Is your EG a EG3 or 6? If it's a EG6 it's worth a lotta money as is, don't go nuts modding it too much imho. If it's a EG3 then your budget is the limit.

But from what I read you're all over the place. From a RX8 manual to a E46 1.8/2.0 to a E90 to a E46 CI to a E92.... these are all very different cars. Personally if you have the budget to mess with a spare car - I'd buy the one that my heart truly wants. If it's going to be something you drive frequently then skip the RX8. If the RX8 isn't your 'ideal dream' then I'd avoid it purely because I don't like any part of it. However if it's a dream, nothing beats having a dream parked in your house and waking up every morning seeing it in your car porch and you pinching yourself to see if it's really there.

Regarding the BMWs, I wouldn't worry as much as you worry. Especially with the measely weakass N and M 42 engines. They are so weak that you'd be hard pressed to get into trouble with engines like those unless you turbo charge them. Between the E46 gen and E90 gen, the prettier one is still the 46 purely because of the rear lights. However if you're considering the E92, that's a pretty car too. But do yourself a favor and get the 6 cylinder ones. 2.2, 2.5. 2.8 or 3.0 (or higher if you can afford the roadtax) cuz those in a e46 or e90 paired with the right 310Z manual or S637 manual... or heck even the ZF autos, they are fantastic GT cars.

The only thing with BMW maintenance is regardless of condition of the part, you must religiously change the part at the change interval per the manual. If you don't change it then you're asking for trouble.

Personally I've test drive a E36 1JZ manual, a E46 5 speed manual and a Z4 with a 3.0 swap with a ZF auto and all were great when they were working. All can be a bitch if it breaks. But then again what car out there isn't a bitch when something broken?

redhatcode29

redhatcode29

Sep 11, 2021
There's 1 red MR2 in facebook asking 65k I think, already tuned to 300hp. But surely won't go down to 50k level.

Unfortunately not much you can get these days with 50k. To me Altezza is the best choice to play below this price level, can get around 30-40k stock. If you're ok with FWD, maybe Celica GTS, only around 30k.
300 bhp, thats insane !! Certainly wont go less than 60k. Even stock is above 50k.
But if u were to spend more than 50k, i would go for a E92 !!! Its too tempting !

true. 50k does not fetch much these days. Ive checked already haha.

badically i dont want to get a saloon. The Gts a bit oudated look. But i have seen Fto still below 50k, not sure about current price.

so sad, 50k cant get a proper sporty JDM.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
300 bhp, thats insane !! Certainly wont go less than 60k. Even stock is above 50k.
But if u were to spend more than 50k, i would go for a E92 !!! Its too tempting !

badically i dont want to get a saloon. The Gts a bit oudated look. But i have seen Fto still below 50k, not sure about current price.

Coupe, you can get 350z if you can afford the stupid road tax. Lol

nw111

Known Member

nw111

Known Member
Feb 13, 2018
Terra dei Motori
Last edited:
Reactions: 6UE5t

nw111

Known Member

nw111

Known Member
Feb 13, 2018
Terra dei Motori

Errr ... FTO not outdated enough for you?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone know where to find this kit?

That including the Gearbox,Rear axle and drive shaft ~

Thanks =)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience