Is there a problem?

fookongmick

Dec 5, 2005
I am driving a Daihatsu Charade G100 1L carburetor.

Here's the problem:
1. When I on my car's headlamps, my idle drops about 200rpm.
2. When my radiator fan cuts in I loose about 100rpm.

So i have to like tune my car up 1200rpm to make sure the rpm doesn't fall too law and the car won't shake too much.

What could be the problem?

[s]UpErNoVa

Known Member
Feb 8, 2006
hmm.. i guess tat's a normal scenario bro.. since ur car is considered kinda old ( i guess got 10 years old :regular_smile: ).. cheers! :regular_smile:

fookongmick

Dec 5, 2005
I have plenty of grounding for my car... 5 ground cables...

Would changing the alternator make a difference?

gloss

1,500 RPM
May 23, 2005
SJ
5 points is just the basic, most vital is the grounding points.

your voltage is not stable. if you hv a volt meter better, to check
volt reading..

find huakenny in zth for more details on volt stablizer.

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
yup.get VS frm him.

erm..the alternator if u really dont have enuf voltage running thru ur car.but just get the two items mentioned 1st.IMO.

DewA ArjunA

Jun 22, 2005
PJ
Go and try to check ur wiring.Try cleaning ur terminal as well as the negative earth wire which connected from the negative terminal to the body of your car.Mayb theres rust there.If everything is ok then go for VS and/or grounding wires.

vantageX

Known Member
Apr 29, 2006
The 100rpm drop after the fan comes on sounds about right if not slightly high but acceptable.

The 200rpm drop after the headlamps come on however doesn't sound right. Do the above tips, clean your battery terminals, check the main fuse, check the headlamp grounding. Clean all these things and you should notice a slight difference if not a total cure.

But if its only a slight difference or no difference at all then I think its time you take a look at your alternator. Have you changed it before? If so is it the correct Amperage type? Any competant car electrician should be able to check it.

About the voltage stabilizer, some cars have an external one while most alternators these days come with a built in voltage stabilizer. If your car has an external one, don't rule it out. Get the electrician to check it and make sure the alternator is working properly and the external stabilizer is also doing its job.

Good luck!

fookongmick

Dec 5, 2005
Thanks for the tips... Will try it out and get back to you....

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
Worst case, change car wiring, alternator(if never change before). Do you have heavy ICE inside your car? I don't think VS can help much on this, if the alternator have problem already. The car built for the past 10 years is standard and capable to run all the eletric components in your car. So after 10 years, if you only change battery(every 2 years or more), then your problem is the alternator or wiring need to change. This is on the eletrical part. the easiest way is get a volt meter and measure. If the car is not started, voltage should be +-12V, if started, it should have 13.4-13.9v.
For engine part, if you never change the mountings before, then maybe that's another cause. For a standard car, the rpm on idle should be around 800-1000, if set the timing higher, then you will waste more petrol.

fookongmick

Dec 5, 2005
Checked the voltage. It is giving a healthy reading. 12V car off, 13.4 -13.9 when engine on.

Could it be the HT coil?

TiBuN

Known Member
May 16, 2004
Penang / BM
Visit site
It's time to visit your local half cut shop :_:
Anyway, does it kill your engine if everything is turned ON ?
Or will the dashboard 'rattle' due to the low RPM only ?

If it doesn't kill your car, don't fix it.

vantageX

Known Member
Apr 29, 2006
If its the HT coil you'll be seeing some other problems as well.

13.4-13.9V is ok though it could be slightly higher. Did you test it with your air-cond and headlights on or off?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

anybody knows what is proton 1.8 radiator capacity? 5l, 6l?
i want to change the coolant to Caltex extended life.. it is sold in 0.5l per bottle.. 50%-50% mixture.. so i need to know how many bottles do i need
and how much per bottle anyway? caltex stations are selling RM16.50 each :(
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience