Is it wise for me to buy these second hand cars?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Buy new Korean car, depreciation will be a lot.......lol
That's the truth that everyone can't deny, however, Korean cars are really great with modern touch, you have to get past the design and engine lack of performance, and occasionally spare part problems. So far Kia Forte has very good feedback from all my friends who owns them.

Thanks,
Ken

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I go to work via carpooling with my friend :biggrin:

I do use the car during weekend and such (when I need to fetch my mom our bring my mom out) because I love driving the car. Honestly I'm very comfortable driving this car and I've kinda fixed up alot. Car still currently runs fine but there was leaks everywhere and I've fixed almost all of it. Almost. Can say since last year after I started taking care of the car since my dad is no longer around. I've fixed :

1.Absorbers
2.Throttlebody -2nd hand
3. Service engine oil, coolant, and gearbox oil
4. Brakepads
5. Battery

1. Standard service oil and oilfiter
2. Waterpump changed due to leak
3. Still leaking so mechanic said it was water jacket so decided to lift the engine up and replace all of the water jackets
4. Thermostat - all parts
5. Radiator Serviced + new header
6. All radiator hoses changed
7. Gearbox oil sump and oil filter changed because it was leaking - gearbox no longer leaking after that solved.
9. Replaced gearbox oil after fixing leak
10. My aircon stopped working and it turned out to be a relay switch :laugh:

Now even with all those changed I finally found another component and most possibly the last component thats leaking coolant. Mechanic said its most likely a bad headgasket because he can see a very small leak coming from the engine block. The leak has been happening since last year ever since I took up the car (you could say the car was already a mess when I picked it up)

Now I would fix this car without any further thinking but after driving this car for awhile I can firmly say this car lacks power to go uphill on flyovers in the city and most cars will be tailgating/cucuk me from behind most of the time.

Thus the thought of wanting to get another car that has some sort of power and can be reliable. I thought about the corolla's reliability and how cheap the wira are with parts, not to mention I'm quite a fan of the 4AGE thus I opted for a 20v one. But I don't want to tie myself down with a loan for like 5 years or so buying a brand new car when its just going to be sitting in my garage sounds like a waste. I was thinking about replacing my weekend car haha.
Holy.... that's a lot of money spent in two years. And if your head gasket is leaking coolant - you better fix it fast before it leaks into the engine and kaboom. That will be a major bill btw.

If you're looking to replace your weekend car without being bogged with a loan - you better have a healthy budget. Say you buy a 4AGE corolla, that will set you back 20k thereabouts for a decent condition one. Then about 3-5k servicing and replacing all the bits and bobs that may need to change (unless you know the owner of the car and don't need to change too many things). I'm stupidly OCD so for me things like interior and engine condition etc all bother the hell out of me so I'd replace stuff just for peace of mind.

If not a Toyota, then a 6th gen Civic 1.6L is about 10k to 15k to buy and about 3-5k to fixup.

As an ex-Wira owner - I'd advise you not to go the Wira route anymore purely due to the age of the platform. 4Gxx engines are plentiful but the C97/98/99 chassis is old and finding a good condition rust-free + accident free unit is going to be tough although it's cheap. Protons back then just weren't great in terms of quality unlike the SEGs and Civics of yesteryear.

But don't rule out Proton altogether, the Satria Neo is a pretty good platform and quite a good drive. Plenty of parts, great driving dynamics, relatively cheap and plenty of engine swap options if you get itchy.

If you're really adventurous, BMW E36 is also reasonably affordable as long as you know where to go and where to look for parts. Anything newer than the E36 is going to be more expensive to look after. The E36 (318, 320, 325) are all great cars and space is comparable with other c-segment car. Online following is cult-like and you'd be surprised that you an still get new parts for cheap.

Personally I do not like the Atos. Like you said it's weak and I suspect you know that the parts is not cheap. Unfortunately resale is so bad you'll be hard-pressed to find a dealer to take your car for any money. But if you want to keep it for sentimental value then it's priceless. I don't think there's much you can do to mod it for more power. You might want to research to see if it's possible to plonk in a K3VE 1.3L engine and gearbox in. It'll be a huge improvement over the current engine and non-turbo K3VE engines aren't expensive.

Lastly - welcome to the darkside.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
cool down la... whatever car you drive sure another faster car will cucuk from behind... you've fixed a lot
seriously, want to get more power... get Wira and swap the engine. These two sifus @Izso and @vr2turbo can surely give some good advise :adore:
wahlau.. there are so many sifus here. All diam diam saja

jon360x

Dec 27, 2018
wahlau.. there are so many sifus here. All diam diam saja
Haha, I initially plan to repair it this coming service checkpoint. I've been driving it so far and I dont see any white smoke coming from the exhaust. I hope it holds up.

My mech said need to do top overhaul to see if the headgasket is warped or not. He said it will cost a few hundred and not up to a thousand. That im not too sure how much.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Haha, I initially plan to repair it this coming service checkpoint. I've been driving it so far and I dont see any white smoke coming from the exhaust. I hope it holds up.

My mech said need to do top overhaul to see if the headgasket is warped or not. He said it will cost a few hundred and not up to a thousand. That im not too sure how much.
When u own a Proton, few hundred means less than RM500 most of the time.
When u own a Kia/Hyundai few hundred will be just below RM 1000.

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
Holy.... that's a lot of money spent in two years. And if your head gasket is leaking coolant - you better fix it fast before it leaks into the engine and kaboom. That will be a major bill btw.

If you're looking to replace your weekend car without being bogged with a loan - you better have a healthy budget. Say you buy a 4AGE corolla, that will set you back 20k thereabouts for a decent condition one. Then about 3-5k servicing and replacing all the bits and bobs that may need to change (unless you know the owner of the car and don't need to change too many things). I'm stupidly OCD so for me things like interior and engine condition etc all bother the hell out of me so I'd replace stuff just for peace of mind.

If not a Toyota, then a 6th gen Civic 1.6L is about 10k to 15k to buy and about 3-5k to fixup.

As an ex-Wira owner - I'd advise you not to go the Wira route anymore purely due to the age of the platform. 4Gxx engines are plentiful but the C97/98/99 chassis is old and finding a good condition rust-free + accident free unit is going to be tough although it's cheap. Protons back then just weren't great in terms of quality unlike the SEGs and Civics of yesteryear.

But don't rule out Proton altogether, the Satria Neo is a pretty good platform and quite a good drive. Plenty of parts, great driving dynamics, relatively cheap and plenty of engine swap options if you get itchy.

If you're really adventurous, BMW E36 is also reasonably affordable as long as you know where to go and where to look for parts. Anything newer than the E36 is going to be more expensive to look after. The E36 (318, 320, 325) are all great cars and space is comparable with other c-segment car. Online following is cult-like and you'd be surprised that you an still get new parts for cheap.

Personally I do not like the Atos. Like you said it's weak and I suspect you know that the parts is not cheap. Unfortunately resale is so bad you'll be hard-pressed to find a dealer to take your car for any money. But if you want to keep it for sentimental value then it's priceless. I don't think there's much you can do to mod it for more power. You might want to research to see if it's possible to plonk in a K3VE 1.3L engine and gearbox in. It'll be a huge improvement over the current engine and non-turbo K3VE engines aren't expensive.

Seg with blacktop not so expensive la.

I sold my toyota SEG ae101 with 6 speed blacktop 20v for 12.5k last year. Only exterior needs repaint and some touch up. Interior need very minor repairing. All in all i would say need around 5k for repair job. (3.5k for nice paint job and 1.5k for other minor repairs and servicing).

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
When u own a Proton, few hundred means less than RM500 most of the time.
When u own a Kia/Hyundai few hundred will be just below RM 1000.
Yup, I own a Hyundai too, the Sonata III. Engine parts are quite ok, since my model base on Mitsu engine, but when comes to body parts, just simple engine mount and absorbers, will pass RM1k......urgh!!

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya

Have one C99 is good condition, rust-free, accident free and super low mileage. Park in the basement waiting to be awaken with a new heart. :nurse::thrasher:

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
actually i agree with bro Pomen. get a good bike if you are single. because once married very hard to get a permit to buy a bike anymore. i regretted not buying a bike i wanted when i was single, i bought a car instead. and now to get a permit to buy a bike is very hard with my finance minister not approving

Reactions: alcyon

jon360x

Dec 27, 2018
actually i agree with bro Pomen. get a good bike if you are single. because once married very hard to get a permit to buy a bike anymore. i regretted not buying a bike i wanted when i was single, i bought a car instead. and now to get a permit to buy a bike is very hard with my finance minister not approving

I don't really have a motor license and im more interested in cars. Haha based on what you said. I should buy early before its too late cuz my future finance minister also bising already when I wanna buy used car. :laugh:

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
once you appoint a finance minister, hard to get what you wanted.

Reactions: sweelt and 6UE5t

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi,me driving wira 1.5 sedan. y after aircon on lack pwr ha?? if switch off aircon can really feel the diff. mod only change extrator n mid pipe.

any suggestion to make it more pwr when on aircon.

thanks in advance
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience