installing hood locks

naqi

Known Member
Nov 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Demo Curi Myvi @ Santai Alam Budiman 2010 - YouTube
Hello there fellow forumers. This has got to be an interesting topic. As you can see from the video, how easy it is to reach for the release cable of a myvi just over the front right tyres. My way of deterring this is i bought a hood lock which comes with keys. I know locksmiths are around, but at least this will make the thieves malas to hijack my car, battery etc. Will be installing it soon. Any thoughts or ideas?

Attachments

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
DIY or giving a workshop to install it for you? One alternative is to move the hood release cable out from its original position (along the front right wheel well) so that the cable runs along *inside* the car engine bay. That way, the thieves can't reach the cable from the wheel wells.

Unfortunately, Myvi has another well known way to open the hood without resorting to pull its release cable, as shown in your video.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Demo Curi Myvi @ Santai Alam Budiman 2010 - YouTube
Hello there fellow forumers. This has got to be an interesting topic. As you can see from the video, how easy it is to reach for the release cable of a myvi just over the front right tyres. My way of deterring this is i bought a hood lock which comes with keys. I know locksmiths are around, but at least this will make the thieves malas to hijack my car, battery etc. Will be installing it soon. Any thoughts or ideas?
If you're really kiasu you can get a electric cutoff switch for your starter somewhere in the car that you have to switch on before cranking the car as well. They can disable the alarm but if they cant figure why your starter isn't working... :rofl:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
These hood locks require you to dig a hole in the hood to install this. That basically introduces a weakspot already. It's not made of metal, it's plastic. So I wouldn't bother.

I'd rather invest in a hood-release cable lock instead. Like those from Cheetah. You can't open the hood without triggering this hood release cable lock and depending on how well you hide your release trigger, it's impossible to open your hood (well, not impossible, just damn difficult).

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
alternatively, installing a steering lock/tilt system would deter theft too. Last time, such lock requires you to remove steering wheel and take it along with you. now, the steering just tilt and can be locked-up.

Kinda handy if you like DIY in your cockpit/driver space.

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
These hood locks require you to dig a hole in the hood to install this. That basically introduces a weakspot already. It's not made of metal, it's plastic. So I wouldn't bother.

I'd rather invest in a hood-release cable lock instead. Like those from Cheetah. You can't open the hood without triggering this hood release cable lock and depending on how well you hide your release trigger, it's impossible to open your hood (well, not impossible, just damn difficult).
Unfortunately those hood locks are very hard to find nowadays. I even contacted Cheetah company in Singapore about their hood lock. A rep called me two days later and promised to call me back when he has found one who could sell and install one for me in Malaysia. He never called back.

Eneos 1Utama used to sell hood locks but even then no one can install it for you there. It is a case of buying a hood lock from one person and giving it to another to install it for you. S*u*p*e*r*c*o*d*e Tech at Seri Kembangan can install it for you but you need to persuade the manager to install it for you (but he does not sell it).

However, there's someone in Terengganu who both sells and installs it for you -- but that is all the way there, and he won't come down to see you.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Unfortunately those hood locks are very hard to find nowadays. I even contacted Cheetah company in Singapore about their hood lock. A rep called me two days later and promised to call me back when he has found one who could sell and install one for me in Malaysia. He never called back.

Eneos 1Utama used to sell hood locks but even then no one can install it for you there. It is a case of buying a hood lock from one person and giving it to another to install it for you. S*u*p*e*r*c*o*d*e Tech at Seri Kembangan can install it for you but you need to persuade the manager to install it for you (but he does not sell it).

However, there's someone in Terengganu who both sells and installs it for you -- but that is all the way there, and he won't come down to see you.
Erm.. CV Audio Uptown Damansara does sell and install it. In fact I have 2 at home, one in store room and another in my car both from CV Audio. So yeah.. I think you just need to go to the right store. These rare little unknown things are usually found in upscale accessory shops. Brothers and all probably would do a shoddy job of installing it if they sell it

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
Erm.. CV Audio Uptown Damansara does sell and install it. In fact I have 2 at home, one in store room and another in my car both from CV Audio. So yeah.. I think you just need to go to the right store. These rare little unknown things are usually found in upscale accessory shops. Brothers and all probably would do a shoddy job of installing it if they sell it
Yes, rare indeed. Some places I went didn't know what I was talking about.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Brothers sell a lot of accessories stuff, but I wonder why I just dont feel confident with their
mechs there. Don't know but just feel not confident with them, but then these are reputable
shops. Thinking of getting a reverse sensor but not sure what brand is good. Only RM100 can
get one already. That cheap.

Hood Locks, maybe will go CV audio and have a look...

naqi

Known Member
Nov 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
you're absolutely right DanzEterna, cause i'm so afraid the person i pay to install these might mess things up. kalau d.i.y. lagi apa pun tak jadi. hahaha! btw, this is the video of the professionals installing it. and as you said, the drilling of the hole is the most CRUCIAL part of installing these hood pins. Hood Pin Installation - YouTube

SueLee

Apr 21, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
May I know how much to install the hood locks?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
May I know how much to install the hood locks?
The hoodpins that these guys are talking about are not the same as the hoodlock. The hoodlock these days go for about 300 odd. There's a downside, if you buy a cheap one the solenoid inside might break earlier and then it'll be a pain to open the hood. If you get a good one like mine, it's 7 years and counting without issues. I actually have one spare one of the same brand. If you're interested please PM me.

naqi

Known Member
Nov 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The hoodpins that these guys are talking about are not the same as the hoodlock. The hoodlock these days go for about 300 odd. There's a downside, if you buy a cheap one the solenoid inside might break earlier and then it'll be a pain to open the hood. If you get a good one like mine, it's 7 years and counting without issues. I actually have one spare one of the same brand. If you're interested please PM me.
is yours hood locks or hood pins?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Stylo International will be joining hands with the 2011 Malaysian Formula One Petronas Grand Prix as a base to take the Malaysian leg of the Ford Models Supermodel of the World search to the next level.

The winner will get the opportunity to represent the country at the finals in New York City and be in the running to bag a contract with Ford...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience