Inspira any problems ????

josephlauby

Known Member
Apr 10, 2009
Penang
I have mainly 3 things not to complain about my Inspira 2.0E but merely pointing out. All got to do with the gearbox.

1. Shifting either from N to D at stationary position, it has quite a jerk/jolt. Like a raging bull thrusting forward.
2. When coming to a stop, I'll normally shift from D to N and let it glide. However everytime when I shift to N at 10km/h or less, I can feel light jerks/jolts (like when you're driving over those yellow speed lines at 30km/h or like when you're on a massage chair massaging your back). Apologies for the bad example but i do not know how to put it any better in words.
3. Gear shifting gets a little unresponsive during short spirited driving. RPM never rev pass 4k. The gearbox indeed heats-up as I can feel the heat coming through the center console.

Nevertheless, i'll be getting my 3rd service done this Saturday & will see what Proton has to say. If time permits, I'll get the GB oil changed to see if the oil is the culprit.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
3. Gear shifting gets a little unresponsive during short spirited driving. RPM never rev pass 4k. The gearbox indeed heats-up as I can feel the heat coming through the center console.
RPM never rev pass 4k? Did you try downshifting with the flappy paddles?

kevlee

Jan 16, 2010
Selangor/Penang
I would like to report with relief, that once I change to Torco Racing Synthetic Gear Box Oil 75 - 140 W, my crunch sound as I down shift from 5th to 4th is gone.............
I change it last Sunday, initially on the first 2 days, there was no improvement to the crunch sound, ie Synchromesh. However it started getting better yesterday and today is Thursday. Which means that you really need to let the gear oil get into the gears.
Now the gear change is so much smoother.
So for those who enjoy the rush in driving, please change your manual Gear Oil to a much better oil like Torco, Motul or OWS. For me, I will only choose this as you will get a wider viscosity, ie 75 - 90 W vs 75 - 140 W.
Bro, pls be sure that gear box is ok to use GL 5 oil........most mt use GL4.......redline is a good choice...

Oct 8, 2014
Pahang
If you are thinking to buy Proton Inspira, the only problem so far I (and I believe majority of Inspira owners) is you can't drive the car in a speed of 170km/hr (or for other Inspira owners, maybe 180km/hr and more) for long duration, maybe for 10mins - 30mins. There will be a 'SLOW DOWN' alarm appears indicating your CVT gearbox is hot!!!

For me, if you are a slow driver or a 'speed-limit' kind of a driver, go for it. It's a good car. But if you want to get the most out-of-it, as per what written in the Car Brochure specification, I feel like I'm being cheated!!!

I believe the Oil Cooler for CVT gearbox installed in our Proton Inspira is not the same latest model as what installed in Mitsubishi Lancer. Lancer can run 205km/hr non-stop for one hour without any CVT alarm. That's the problem.

kevlee

Jan 16, 2010
Selangor/Penang
Dear Bro Matdin:

Thank for the advise:biggrin:. Anyhow I already booked a 2.0 P. Let's cross finger and pray there is no problem with my pirated Lancer. As far as I know that the major part of still same as Mit, include the gear box. Meanwhile, while this problems pop up, did you send your car to SC? or is it a known problem by all Inspira owner. I sometime will drive at 140-150, but hardly drive till 170 because afraid of dead also. Indeed my current Gen 2 won't fit enough for me to drive long hour in high speed due the poor sound proof and vibration......By the way what is your model?

Thanks!
BR

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
bro,
u need to shed the impression than Proton car have problem all the time.this is not like the old days.they have improve a lot since Waja CPS.
i have no complain on my 1.8 waja which has clock 180k km.of course the maintenance is higher but thats the price i am prepare to pay for the power and driving feel.

On the inspira...its an underated car.i must say u make a good choice.on the gb issue,some say adding an atf cooler helps solve the atf overheating issue.

since u frequently cruise at high speed then choosing a bigger engine is the right way.

and..since the difference between RON97 and RON95 is not much i recommend u try pumping RON97 when u want to do long distance driving.
i did that last time and the engine is relaxed at 170kmh.

kevlee

Jan 16, 2010
Selangor/Penang
bro,
u need to shed the impression than Proton car have problem all the time.this is not like the old days.they have improve a lot since Waja CPS.
i have no complain on my 1.8 waja which has clock 180k km.of course the maintenance is higher but thats the price i am prepare to pay for the power and driving feel.

On the inspira...its an underated car.i must say u make a good choice.on the gb issue,some say adding an atf cooler helps solve the atf overheating issue.

since u frequently cruise at high speed then choosing a bigger engine is the right way.

and..since the difference between RON97 and RON95 is not much i recommend u try pumping RON97 when u want to do long distance driving.
i did that last time and the engine is relaxed at 170kmh.
Brother....Haha!!!! is not I have the bad impression but I experienced it 4 years ago...I bought a Gen 2 CPS MT, and 4 days after come out from the sales centre, it dead in the middle of the road. After checking, it's the ECU box starter problems. It took me 2 weeks time to settle the problems, and within the 2 weeks, I enter the SC for more than 3 times, because when it came out from the SC (1st time) just pass the guard house of the SC, the battery dead, then go back to change the battery, and I could drive my new car for 1 day, after that it could not start again, it only solve when SC decided to change the whole ECU box for me. And it took quite some time for them to send the box from KL to Penang. I wasting too much of the time when dealing with this car, and I have to took couples days of leave to deal with this car, because I am a field guy and heavily reply on the car to move around.

No offence, just sharing my experiences. I choose this car and give proton a second chance because the price is too attractive.:biggrin:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Brother....Haha!!!! is not I have the bad impression but I experienced it 4 years ago...I bought a Gen 2 CPS MT, and 4 days after come out from the sales centre, it dead in the middle of the road. After checking, it's the ECU box starter problems. It took me 2 weeks time to settle the problems, and within the 2 weeks, I enter the SC for more than 3 times, because when it came out from the SC (1st time) just pass the guard house of the SC, the battery dead, then go back to change the battery, and I could drive my new car for 1 day, after that it could not start again, it only solve when SC decided to change the whole ECU box for me. And it took quite some time for them to send the box from KL to Penang. I wasting too much of the time when dealing with this car, and I have to took couples days of leave to deal with this car, because I am a field guy and heavily reply on the car to move around.

No offence, just sharing my experiences. I choose this car and give proton a second chance because the price is too attractive.:biggrin:
heheh...thats why all manufacturer has warranty period.
agree with u that lots of time wasted for such issue.

dont worry abt yr inspira though...it also come with warranty...hahah

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
first problem since a year with inspira..

grab handle broken at the front passenger side..
not the plastic/abs part, those still intact..
but the spring thing, it sprung out..

:mad:

else, perfect..:love:

zack.my

Jul 10, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Bro, pls be sure that gear box is ok to use GL 5 oil........most mt use GL4.......redline is a good choice...
hello bro..can u or anybody xplain to me..what a happen if i using GL5 in mt gb on inspira? can makr my internel gb fault?..broken?..seal leaking?can xplain to me?
currenly i using liquimolly fullysintetic 75w 90 GL 5 i my gb.
i remember i read somewhere..forgot already where..they said its ok when manufacter ask for GL 3 or 4..then u using GL 5..but if manufacter said GL5..u cant using GL4 or below..
its true or not?
now already running 4k using GL5..if got problem.. i can change imidietly..
please someone answer my question..
i google it already..but dont have any specific answer..
owhh ya..
for me inspira mt it good car..no problem at all until now..3yrs ++..

oh ya if GL 5 cant use..where can i buy red line like yr mention?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I have mainly 3 things not to complain about my Inspira 2.0E but merely pointing out. All got to do with the gearbox.

1. Shifting either from N to D at stationary position, it has quite a jerk/jolt. Like a raging bull thrusting forward.
2. When coming to a stop, I'll normally shift from D to N and let it glide. However everytime when I shift to N at 10km/h or less, I can feel light jerks/jolts (like when you're driving over those yellow speed lines at 30km/h or like when you're on a massage chair massaging your back). Apologies for the bad example but i do not know how to put it any better in words.

Nevertheless, i'll be getting my 3rd service done this Saturday & will see what Proton has to say. If time permits, I'll get the GB oil changed to see if the oil is the culprit.
1. This is a CVT gearbox. It's not normal to have such a violent jerk. My Sylphy has the same gearbox as the Inspira one and it's rough but not violent like how you described it.

2. Again this is a CVT GB. Don't do that. It's not designed to work like the traditional GB. Stop completely, foot on brake and release to N. The GB is smart enough to disengage the clutch if you're just cruising with zero throttle input. The only time I had that sort of jerkiness was when my spark plugs were dead.

4. That's your CVT oil overheating. Limp mode jumps in when the oil overheats. Doesn't your car have an ATF oil cooler? It shouldn't get that hot if it's a short spirited drive.

hello bro..can u or anybody xplain to me..what a happen if i using GL5 in mt gb on inspira? can makr my internel gb fault?..broken?..seal leaking?can xplain to me?
i remember i read somewhere..forgot already where..they said its ok when manufacter ask for GL 3 or 4..then u using GL 5..but if manufacter said GL5..u cant using GL4 or below..
its true or not?
owhh ya..

Gear Lubes generally have additives (that work for differentials) and sulphurs. However GL4 is more formulated for transmissions, GL5 used more in differentials. Just make sure whatever viscosity your user manual states. 75W90 then stick with 75W90. Using a thicker 80W90 may feel weird or heavy. GL4 will give you a more buttery feel compared to GL5.

These days modern gear oils have specialized friction modifiers in the oil, usually to cater for synchros so they shift better and last longer. A differential oil however will have additives that cater for the differential and even though the weight is the same, eg-75W90 the viscosity of the oil is different! All boils down to the additives. So just make sure you follow the manufacturers recommendation. GL4 then stick with GL4. GL5 then stick with GL5.

There's nothing wrong with mixing or swapping between the two, it won't kill your GB. Just that it's not the optimum oil. In your case, there's no need to swap out the oil unless you got shitloads of money and want to feel better, then go ahead and change. Otherwise just wait for the next oil change at 20k km and swap it out back to GL4 (if that's what your manufacturer manual says).

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
first problem since a year with inspira..

grab handle broken at the front passenger side..
not the plastic/abs part, those still intact..
but the spring thing, it sprung out..

:mad:

else, perfect..:love:
It is re-badge Lancer, but body parts probably are local.....:banghead:

kevlee

Jan 16, 2010
Selangor/Penang
its true or not?
owhh ya..

Brother!!!! Please change back to GL 4, IF the driving manual stated GL4, please use back GL 4, If you use GL 5, it will corrode up your brass in your transmission. Please read the link below. Google, and see, redline GL4, there are lot's seller out there.

http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
1. This is a CVT gearbox. It's not normal to have such a violent jerk. My Sylphy has the same gearbox as the Inspira one and it's rough but not violent like how you described it.

2. Again this is a CVT GB. Don't do that. It's not designed to work like the traditional GB. Stop completely, foot on brake and release to N. The GB is smart enough to disengage the clutch if you're just cruising with zero throttle input. The only time I had that sort of jerkiness was when my spark plugs were dead.

4. That's your CVT oil overheating. Limp mode jumps in when the oil overheats. Doesn't your car have an ATF oil cooler? It shouldn't get that hot if it's a short spirited drive.

Gear Lubes generally have additives (that work for differentials) and sulphurs. However GL4 is more formulated for transmissions, GL5 used more in differentials. Just make sure whatever viscosity your user manual states. 75W90 then stick with 75W90. Using a thicker 80W90 may feel weird or heavy. GL4 will give you a more buttery feel compared to GL5.

These days modern gear oils have specialized friction modifiers in the oil, usually to cater for synchros so they shift better and last longer. A differential oil however will have additives that cater for the differential and even though the weight is the same, eg-75W90 the viscosity of the oil is different! All boils down to the additives. So just make sure you follow the manufacturers recommendation. GL4 then stick with GL4. GL5 then stick with GL5.

There's nothing wrong with mixing or swapping between the two, it won't kill your GB. Just that it's not the optimum oil. In your case, there's no need to swap out the oil unless you got shitloads of money and want to feel better, then go ahead and change. Otherwise just wait for the next oil change at 20k km and swap it out back to GL4 (if that's what your manufacturer manual says).
lol..

youre answering 6 month old question..

he might have sold his inspira...:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My friend's Wira 1.8 se got lost this morning. His apartment is at Kelana Crimson. Please help to look out a drak grey wira sedan. Twin pipe muffler, with evo 3 spoiler, evo 3 front bonnet and lancer bumper.

All help is appreciated. Car only bought for less than 2 months. F**king thief.

Can call us anytime reagrding the car.

012 2549184 or 012 2764238. Thank you.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience