Importing Car Back to Malaysia

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
I am in the process of deciding to import one of my car back to Malaysia when I am moving back to Malaysia for good. I am not sure what is involve and may have change since I last research it. Please feel free to chip in any info which light help, thanks. Listed below are a few questions I have.

1. Is Left hand drive proper to use in Malaysia?
2. What is involve other than shipping the car back in container. (Road Tax, quarantine, etc).
3. I remember I have to be the owner of the car prior to bring it back (I think it is like 2 years).
4. Also, I have to own the car for 2 years in Malaysia before I can sell it (Like I would ?!!).
5. 200% Tax on the vehicle. Based on the "used" value of the car.
6. Size of engine. It does matter in MY right? (Example, 5.7 liter V8 or 3.6 liter flat 6)?
7. Any great idea which car to bring home? (Corvette, Porsche, Lexus, Hummer, Honda, Smart ??).
8. Anything else I missed or did not mention?

Thank you in advance. Pardon my ignorant since I have been out of country for many, many, many years.

p/s: After posting, I found this site to be very resourcesful.
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/555702

Last edited:

peteshawn

Known Member
Nov 5, 2012
Aston UK
Not sure what the current LAW in malaysia...
i do have the same thought as you are but... does it worth for you the back a SMART car back? i mean the TAX would cost you alot :banghead: then the car value itself. You might as well ship back parts and build a proper machines when you get back :listen:

unless it's a "rare" one :beer:

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Not sure what the current LAW in malaysia...
i do have the same thought as you are but... does it worth for you the back a SMART car back? i mean the TAX would cost you alot :banghead: then the car value itself. You might as well ship back parts and build a proper machines when you get back :listen:

unless it's a "rare" one :beer:
Check this site out
Importing A Vehicle To Malaysia

I am still reading through all the posts. So far, it seems to be too expensive after all the taxes.
It is too bad. We will have more varieties of car in MY if only the taxes are lower.

carlyap

500 RPM
Jun 9, 2008
less hassle just sell it off at your current country. lots of paper work need to be done....

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
You know. That may be the way to go now. Too bad. I really wanted to bring my car home, kind of attached to it.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I am in the process of deciding to import one of my car back to Malaysia when I am moving back to Malaysia for good. I am not sure what is involve and may have change since I last research it. Please feel free to chip in any info which light help, thanks. Listed below are a few questions I have.

Nope, especially on federal and rural routes, you cannot see the other side of the road when tailing another vehicle

2. What is involve other than shipping the car back in container. (Road Tax, quarantine, etc).
Probably you need clearance letter from exporting country, like no more loans outstanding and so on...

3. I remember I have to be the owner of the car prior to bring it back (I think it is like 2 years).
Something like that, and you will need AP to import in

4. Also, I have to own the car for 2 years in Malaysia before I can sell it (Like I would ?!!).
If car is not common here, will be difficult to sell. Spare parts is another matter.

I remember Customs have their base value too, so if your price is lower, they use theirs, so have to be careful with this.

6. Size of engine. It does matter in MY right? (Example, 5.7 liter V8 or 3.6 liter flat 6)?
Yes it does. Any cc more then 3 liters, the road tax is killer

7. Any great idea which car to bring home? (Corvette, Porsche, Lexus, Hummer, Honda, Smart ??).
Probably something that have spare parts here....

Thank you in advance. Pardon my ignorant since I have been out of country for many, many, many years.

p/s: After posting, I found this site to be very resourcesful.
Importing A Vehicle To Malaysia
My 2 sen answer above......:biggrin:

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Thanks vr2turbo for answering all my questions, very please to know that. The answer on #6 pretty much sealed the deal for me to bring my car home. I personally like "big" engine like inline 6, flat 6, V8, V10 or V12 (Not much love for 4 banger) No replacement for displacement, not always true but close. I also like all motor or NA. We will see what will happen next. May be just sell all my cars and get one in MY instead. Here in US, even though they have strict emission law but cars are so "cheap" and plentiful. You know US consume almost half of the production of all kinds of vehicle. Cars that I get to drive here, I would never dream of in MY.

How is the price of European cars in MY like BMW M3 and Porsche?

Thanks.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thanks vr2turbo for answering all my questions, very please to know that. The answer on #6 pretty much sealed the deal for me to bring my car home. I personally like "big" engine like inline 6, flat 6, V8, V10 or V12 (Not much love for 4 banger) No replacement for displacement, not always true but close. I also like all motor or NA. We will see what will happen next. May be just sell all my cars and get one in MY instead. Here in US, even though they have strict emission law but cars are so "cheap" and plentiful. You know US consume almost half of the production of all kinds of vehicle. Cars that I get to drive here, I would never dream of in MY.

How is the price of European cars in MY like BMW M3 and Porsche?

Thanks.
I know, I have a friend who went there to study and is a citizen there now. He was like driving all the old cars that we can afford here and dreaming of the cars he wanted, and he is having them now over there. And also more placing to run those monsters......:adore:

Price not too sure, as I don't even dream of owning one here. Depending on model, new for Porsche could be close to Million figure, recon will be half that amount.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
The trend here is Chevrolet V8 like LS1, LS2, LS6 into anything from rwd CRX, nissan, datsun, Lotus, BMW, Porsche, etc. Those LS engine is selling like hot cakes. Light weight car with big engine = insane fun. That would be one thing I miss when I moved home since I am a car guy.

I do like a few car I have seen for sale in MY, like E36 with RB swapped, etc. I might do something like that. A 4 door E46 with RB26 swap would be nice.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Based on my experience, not sure if it still applies though..

Not really. Would be pretty hard to execute overtaking. Not impossible though
AP?
I think it's 9 months
You can't change the ownership of the car for at least 3 years
Also depends on value of the car when it was new, and year of manufacture
Road tax is based on cc,among other things
Depends. Hummer could be too big, Honda might be too common

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Based on my experience, not sure if it still applies though..
Thanks Pwhyze. If you don't mind I ask, what kind of car did you brought back to MY? From US? Is it worth it?

I am thinking of something exotic. Porsche, older Ferrari, older mustang, corvette, etc.

Thanks.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thanks Pwhyze. If you don't mind I ask, what kind of car did you brought back to MY? From US? Is it worth it?

I am thinking of something exotic. Porsche, older Ferrari, older mustang, corvette, etc.

Thanks.
Classic 911, The Ferrari Testarossa?:biggrin::driver:

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Classic 911, The Ferrari Testarossa?:biggrin::driver:
A 928 go for 4K-10K. Classic 911 maybe 20K-30K. Testarossa is higher about 50K for a 99% perfect one. A local dealer has a black one for sale a while back and it is beautiful. Wish I could afford that. I don't think there are many Testarossa in MY.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
No problem. I brought a Honda, but I was in Japan, not the states. For me, it's worth it, but that depends on the individual. I like the idea of something exotic, just keep in mind, everything needs to be paid by cash. No installment or anything like that. If you don't mind sharing, what's your budget for the car? Budget for all the additional cost?

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
No problem. I brought a Honda, but I was in Japan, not the states. For me, it's worth it, but that depends on the individual. I like the idea of something exotic, just keep in mind, everything needs to be paid by cash. No installment or anything like that. If you don't mind sharing, what's your budget for the car? Budget for all the additional cost?
Thanks for sharing. I currently have a 1980 Porsche 928 (V8 4.5 liter, road tax will be crazy high).
Also, 1990 Porsche Carrera 2 (Flat 6 3.6 liter, a little smaller engine still but over 3000cc).
The Carrera will be more valueble down the road. So, I would pick the C2 over the 928. C2 is about $20K USD now. Assuming that is the number custom would use as the value of the car, plus all the taxes, freight, etc. Maybe another $30K - 40K (175 - 200%)? Does that sound right? Thanks.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just fwd from my fren..

Andy Tan sister's car got stolen yesterday. Police / insurance reports have been made, if you have seen the car on the road, kindly notify Andy Tan (012-2090942) or the police (SMS 32728) immediately if possible. Below are the characteristics of the vehicle:

Car make & Model: Suzuki Swift 2005
Colour: Bright RED
Reg #: WNF 7588
Misc: Lightly tinted, rear bumper cracks (recently had an accident).

thank you for your assistance..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience