cclems

Known Member

cclems

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
Puchong
us.a1.yahoofs.com
mengz said:
hehe cclems, im using meguiars NXT tech wax & 3M's paste wax, this 2 are my favourite waxes, and i wax my car twice a month at least. if i feel lazy, then i will use meguiars NXT tech wax, if im hard working and wanna burn more calories, i'll use the 3M's paste wax. both have one thing in common, no abrassive materials, just wax only. my dad was using auto-glym all the while, until i intro-ed him meguiars nxt tech wax for his car, coz its black in colour. until today he is still amazed at the results and keep asking me y nvr intro to him earlier :P

difference:
meguiars NXT tech wax - easier to apply and buff; gives a darker & more wet look shine; smoother surface.
3M's paste wax - harder to apply and buff; gives a more natural gloss; last longer; dissapates water better(water beads up more efficiently).
the NXT generation products are miracle i can say. but if u check the meguiars website, it is recommended not mix meguiars layers with other brands. the NXT tech is actually syntethic based polymer not wax(thats why water beads are different). for my experience apply day time when hot (but not directly under sun), then u to wait at least ½hour wiping the buff. u can it actually dries up and bond into yr paint.(thats why it gives a glossier look). and mengz u should buy the meguiars detailing clay, it a wonder man. use it when u wash yr car or before waxing. its totally different feel. its quite costly (about rm105 at ace hardware) but its worth it.

mengz

500 RPM

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
yeah...my detailer got show me the clay b4. how to use it? anyways i'm already spending so much time waxing my car, dun think i wanna do the detailing clay ler. im happy with the results now edi :P hehehe

munpeng

500 RPM

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
Hmmm...

mengz, you took my words a little bit seriously. I understand what you said, but rm300 is abit expensive for me, therefore I said buying 5 bottles of polish is a better solution, that's my opinion. I wasn't trying to say Featherlite is bla bla bla, but I meant you can try using rm300 for an alternative use (like buying 5 bottles of wax/polish), for a different "feel", that's what I meant. Detailer is your choice then good lar, I am not against that service, they are professionals but I ain't, it's just that I choose to but 5 bottles and polish on my own, hahaha.

Instead of detailer, I sent to my car painter to remove the swirl marks for me. Since they were the ones who painted the bonnet for me, they were willing to give free services. However, everytime they did the polishing for me, the result is temporary only. After polish for 4 times, they finally gave up and advice in not taking risks to polish again, coz it's 2K and the gloss layer would disappear if they continue doing it. Therefore, since then I prefer buying my own polish and DIY, hehe.

If your detailer can remove the swirl marks for me, then I'll try and talk to him lar, I just want the best for my paintwork :)

munpeng

500 RPM

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
cclems, the meguiar product that you are using now is efficient at removing swirl marks? or is it just for a glossier look only? if it's efficient at removing swirl marks, then I may try using it in future. You come from Puchong too? where is your detailer located?

nonameNo

nonameNo

Mar 23, 2006
you can try to use the "Turtle" brand... specifically for swirl remover type. i have used it for my old car and it work fine for me... at least it remove the swirl mark...

but caution, dont rub the same spot for too long... it will "eat" your car paint...

ace79

1,000 RPM

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
The best way to remove swirls is, teach OURSELVES ( yes, ourselves, u and me ) on how to wash and detail the car properly. Swirls actually comes from the way and the items that u use to wash your car. If you wash your car properly, and with the correct items, there shall be less or no swirls added ( other than the ones already on the car's panels )!

Use quality car wash solution ( with the correct soap to water ratio ), clean wash mitts or wash foams, the 2 bucket method, and rinsing each panel immediately after washing.

I think you guys will ask : what's the two bucket method? One bucket is with soap solution + water, the other with plain water only. After finished washing each panel, rinse the soap off. Dip the wash mitt ( or foam ) immediately into the bucket no.2 ( the one with plain clear water only ) a few times to help dislodge the dirt embedded in the wash mitt / foam. The take out the wash mitt / foam and wring the water out OUTSIDE either buckets. Then dip the wash mitt / foam back into bucket no.1 and wash another panel. Do it again and again.

Remember : the dirt embedded in the wash mitt / foam is the ones that's 'drawing' the swirls onto the body. That's why you should do the 2 bucket method, to reduce swirls.

Do not send your car over to paintshops for polishing work too often! The best way is always to do the steps above, and ALWAYS put a layer of protection ( wax, synthetic sealant, carnauba wax etc ) to protect the car's paintwork. You can never have the car 100% free of swirls, but you can always redue 'em to an acceptable level ( how far, that's up to you ).

ace79

1,000 RPM

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
And NO, no wax in the world can remove swirls, they only fill in the gaps! Only by doing proper work ( with Scratch X ), protecting them ( with a good wax of your choice! Remember, our country is very hot and humid, most waxes only last up to a month or so, and then you have to re-wax the car again ), and always wash and detail your car properly and OFTEN!

cclems

Known Member

cclems

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
Puchong
us.a1.yahoofs.com
munpeng said:
cclems, the meguiar product that you are using now is efficient at removing swirl marks? or is it just for a glossier look only? if it's efficient at removing swirl marks, then I may try using it in future. You come from Puchong too? where is your detailer located?
mupeng,
that guy uses meguiars diamond cut, yes and it removes swirl marks effectively. he actually proved to me that no swirl marks before applying any further wax coat. yes im from puchong, detailers is located in puchong utama.

munpeng

500 RPM

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
Ok, I got it cclems. Diamond cut... hmm, didn't notice it when I last visited ACE hardware.

ace79, thanks for telling. But I already know what caused the swirl marks, that's why I have always taken care of my paintwork cautiously, like you do. However, the thing is, a brand new car already has the swirls on it, that's true. Even my mother's brand new mini cooper also has swirls all over it, when she just got the car on the very 1st day. Therefore, it's either the manufacturer didn't polish in a correct way, or some guys from Auto Bavaria keep wiping it to "maintain" the car's look. Maybe the workers from Auto Bavaria, their services are top class, the sales girl said the workers wipe the cars once in a while after rain, so in my opinion, it's the workers who might be careless in causing majority of the swirl marks on the brand new cars, even the brand new Civic also got, sayang sekali.....

well said ace79, people who visit this thread will thank you for informing, hehe :)

mengz

500 RPM

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
munpeng, i think u misinterpreted wat im trying to say. yes, u can have ur choice of buying 5 bottles of polish and diy urself, its ur choice, ur call. im just giving u suggestions thats all. and do u know why ur painter cant get the job done? bcoz car painters are painters, not detaliers. even my car painter admits he cannot do a betterjob than a detailer. u wanna know the reason y? bcoz they only use rubbing compound after applying paint and clearcoat. u'll see its all shinny and smooth etc. but after u wash ur car, u'll see the swirl marks again, bcoz they didnt use a less aggressive polish after tat to remove the swirls marks that the rubbing compound produced. did ur painter polish ur car for 4 times in a row, each time from an aggressive polish to a less aggressive polish? i bet he didnt, heck my painter didnt either. but my detailer did, he went from polish, to a less aggressive polish, then to glaze, then wax. im pretty sure cclems's detailer did the same thing too. infact, all professional detailers out there do the same thing too.

i think u really need to understand the concept. i already posted on my previous post on how the proper steps shud be. i know all of us here wants the very best for our car, so im here to share what i know and wat i've read and analyse from other forums where experience ppl share their info's.

p/s: what ace79 say is true, do not send ur car to painters for polishing. u know y painters always tell u cannot polish ur car too much? bcoz their using the wrong product. car painters uses very aggressive compound to remove impurities on ur paint bcoz its fast and easy, but it scrapes alot of ur clearcoat out. anyways, i think i've shared whatever i know abt swirl marks and protecting paintworks already. hope it helped u munpeng. cheers

munpeng

500 RPM

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
Dude, your language is a bit heavy. I already said I was not saying detailer's service is not worth it, but choose to buy polish is an alternative, it's an alternative, and I never mention it's better than detailer. Your language brings a suggestion that I am a little bit against the expensive service of detailer, well, I'm not.

You already posted the correct methods, no need to remind me again. I understand the correct concept, but don't question my car painter's service, for you don't know what he was doing. Your car painter isn't the same person as mine. So when you bet my car painter does not know the correct way, that is quite harsh, you maybe correct but you might have been wrong also. I am not judging you, but you can choose not to describe my car painter in that way also. From what I witness, they follow the correct method from aggresive to less one, don't say this and that for there's no 100% similarity.

I agree detailer is a very very good option when you face problems of swirl marks, it would be the best option too. I hope nobody has the impression of car painter doesn't know as much as detailer, we don't know whether he has other experience in other areas, maybe he does leh? Maybe I am a little too defensive of my car painter, coz he's a good one. I respect detailers also, not ruling out getting their service of coz.

Don't have the impression that I disagree with you, mengz. I agree with what you have said, and I thank you for your valuable information. I know nothing about detailers, so I can't say much anymore. Cheers to you too :)

cclems, cannot find diamond cut at ACE Hardware wor, how ar? only detailer can get stocks? The NXT you all using is the spray one or wax one? Meguairs have huge variety leh. Puchong utama? can you tell me the name of that detailing shop?

Last edited:

mengz

500 RPM

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
speaking abt heavy language, its ironic that i feel the same abt urs too :) anyways, goodluck in finding a solution to solve ur swirl marks. if theres a will, theres a way, im pretty sure u'll be able to get it done.

later.

ace79

1,000 RPM

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
Munpeng, Diamond Cut is not a Meguiar's consumer item. Thta's why you can't find it at any shops, you have to go to Hypercoat ( nearby Regalia Busniess Centre, Subang ) for 'em. U can try Scratch X instead ( btw, u have to use a dual orbiter machine in order to use Diamond Cut effectively ). Scratch X is Meguiar's answer for normal users who wants to reduce or eliminate fine swirls and light scratches by hand work.

How to use Scratch X : Always wash, clean and dry the areas which you want to apply Scratch X first. Use a foam applicator pad / or microfibre pad ( Meguiar's have both items, the foam applicator pad at RM 6.00 each, the microfibre pad at RM 22.00 per pair, but local Meguiar's prices have been increased on the 1st of June though ), and put a small amount of Scratch X ( a 20 sen size amount is OK for starters ) on 'em. Apply the Scratch X to the areas which you want to treat thoroughly 1st, then work the Scratch X in! You'll have to spend some elbow grease here. Scratch X have diminishing properties, so as you work in the products ( not so aggrasive, but with passion! Means that you have to put some extra work lah, not like applying or buffing wax ya. ) the product will start to haze and will dissipate. When it is almost gone ( it starts to haze, as in the applied areas are now almost clear ) buff it off with a microfibre cloth. You have to repeat the steps above for at least 3 times, then take a good look at your work. I can promise u, if you cannot clear off the fine swirls / light scratches, at least it will be greatly reduced ( I can promise you that because I'm using it! ) But be prepared though, if you want to work your whole car, it'll be impossible to it in a day, because you'll be soooo tired... For example, the front bonnet can take from 45 minutes to one hour plus, then front fenders can take up to 45 minutes each panel ( total 90 minutes / 1 hour and a half for both fenders ), front bumper another 45 minutes or so, so in total, to do a Scratch X work on a whole front end will take you at least 3 hours ++ minimum. My arms and fingers was so tired after only treating Scratch X to my front bonnet, so you can imagine how much work is required to do so.

If you do not want to have tired arms and hands, there is an alternative. Go and get yourself a Bosch GEX-270AE ( last time was RM 300++ ) dual orbiter machine. Then drive off to Hypercoat and get some Meguiar's backing plates, buffers and applicators, a total of around RM 300++. You can use this machine to apply and buff off the whole car easily. Remember to tape off rubber trims etc ( to avoid products to stick to 'em! ) and also windows ( use newspaper lah, to avoid product sling ). But with a dual orbiter, u cannot use Scratch X. U have to buy M80 Speed Glaze, and use that with the dual orbiter. Although the costs to use a machine, the correct products etc will cost you about RM 800++, you get to save time and these products lasts quite a while too!

You guys might think that I'm promoting Meguiar's stuffs too much, but they works! And the forum ( http://www.meguiarsonline.com is a haven for all things Meguiar's. They take the pains to educate customers on how to use their products properly.

I've used a number of other detailing products on sale here in Malaysia, and most of them are not working good enough, or is working way too much ( adding more scratches after application! ). Meguiar's stuffs works well ( if you know how to use 'em properly ), although the prices is getting a bit expensive nowadays.

If you guys are interested in purchasing Meguiar's consumer items, it's on sale ( with a SIZABLE discount, over at KLIMS. Discount is 10% for purchases under RM 100, 15% for RM 101.00 - RM 202.00, all the up to 35% for purchases over RM 501.00! Damn good deal ( and I splurged over RM 300.00 worth of MG's items! hehehe )

Last edited:

munpeng

500 RPM

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
Thank you very much for the information, ace79. May require further information from you if I purchase scratch X :)

mengz, maybe it's a little too serious in the way I talked, sorry ya.

ace79

1,000 RPM

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
Guys, I've updated my previous post.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of repainting my satria neo R3 in a matte color. something like the original fire red but in matte finish. i am hoping if you all can recommend me a shop or something for me to get an estimate. thanks~
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience