How to remove swirl marks?

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
if wanna remove swirl marks fully, then u need a machine to do it. meguiar's & 3M produces good polish & swirl mark removers which removes swirl marks very effectively. if ur swirl mark is not tat deep, maybe u can try using hand applied glaze's or machine applied glazes. glazes are oil based and they usually fill up the gap to reduce swirl marks.

some waxes can remove also, bcoz they contain detergents and some abrasive materials inside. by right, wax are not suppose to contain any abrasive material inside. they're just for protecting only, like Meguiar's NXT wax and 3M paste wax is 100% wax only, no abrasive materials.

munpeng, wat ur car painter say is true, using rotator will produce swirl marks, thats why a really professional detailer 1st uses rubbing compound, then from an aggresive polish to a less aggresive polish, then glaze, then wax. the key is to go from the most aggresive cut to the least. but depending on ur paint condition also. lets say if ur paint condition is not that bad, mayb can skip the rubbing compound, just start from polish.

Some info i got from the internet:

COMPOUNDS, POLISHES AND GLAZES SORTED BY CUTTING ABILITY

10 – MOST AGGRESSIVE - COMPOUNDS
3M SUPER DUTY RUBBING COMPOND HEAVY CUT 39004
MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL DIAMOND CUT COMPOUND 2.0 VERY HEAVY CUT #85

MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL COMPUND POWER CLEANER HEAVY CUT #84
3M PERFECT-IT III EXTRA CUT RUBBING COMPOUND 05936
MEGUAIR’S MIRROR GLAZE HEAVY CUT CLEANER #4

3M IMPERIAL MICRO FINISHING COMPOUND MEDIUM CUT 39001
MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE MEDIUM-CUT CLEANER #1
3M PERFECT-IT III RUBBING COMPOUND 05933

MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL DUAL ACTION CLEANER POLISH MEDIUM CUT #83

3M PERFECT-IT II RUBBING COMPOUND FINE CUT 39002
MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE FINE-CUT CLEANER #2
3M ONE STEP CLEANER WAX, MEDIUM OXIDATION REMOVER 39066
MENZERNA INTENSIVE POLISH
3M PERFECT-IT SWIRL MARK REMOVER DARK CARS 39009
3M PERFECT-IT SWIRL MARK REMOVER LIGHT CARS 39109
MEGUIAR’S MEDALLION PAINT CLEANER #97
MEGUIAR’S SCRATCH-X #108

4 - POLISHES
MEGUIAR’S BODY SCRUB A10
MEGUIAR’S DEEP CRYSTAL PAINT CLEANER #30
MEGUIER’S QUICK DETAILER #66
MEGUIER’S SPEED GLAZE #80
BLACK FIRE DEEP GLOSS POLISH

MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL SWIRL FREE POLISH LIGHT CUT #82
MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE SWIRL REMOVER #9
3M FINESSE-IT II MACHINE POLISH 39003
3M FINESSE-IT II FINISHING MATERIAL 05928
MENZERNA FINAL POLISH

2 - GLAZES
MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL HAND POLISH VERY LIGHT CUT #81
MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE MACHINE GLAZE #3
3M PERFECT-IT III TRIZACT MACHINE GLAZE 05930
3M PERFECT-IT III MACHINE GLAZE 05937
3M IMPERIAL MACHINE GLAZE 05991
3M ONE STEP CLEANER WAX, LIGHT OXIDATION REMOVER 39006

MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE SHOW CAR GLAZE #7
3M PERFECT-IT III FINISHING GLAZE 05941
3M IMPERIAL HAND GLAZE 39007
BLACKFIRE ALL FINISH PAINT PROTECTION

MEGUIAR'S NXT TECH WAX
3M PERFECT-IT SHOW CAR FINISH PASTE WAX 39526

Maybe some simple definitions:
Compound - a heavy abrasive used to remove surface imperfections

Polish - a light abrasive used to remove surface imperfections

Glaze - an oil based product used to fill surface imperfections and create gloss

Wax - a product to protect the paint surface

Last edited:

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
Mengz, thanks for the information.

I wonder where can I get 3M products, didn't see any available at ACE Hardware. mengz, you would suggest me to get paste compound? or any compound that has abrasive to reduce swirl marks? have you tried any brands that have brought you success?

By the way, where can I get glaze products? have you heard of the Turtlewax's paste compound?

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
munpeng, erm actually 3M car care products is like damn hard to get in malaysia, i dunno y they nvr market their product properly. i have a bottle of 3M IMPERIAL HAND GLAZE 39007 that my dad brought back from office. after this one finish i also dunno where to get again. according to my dad, 3M malaysia doesnt bring in this product.

anyways, i wouldnt suggest that u get a rubbing compound and do it urself, coz if u dunno wat u are doing, u might dmg ur clearcoat, maybe ur paint even. for me, i leave the rubbing compound and polish to my detailer, he does a fantastic job. i only use the hand applied glazes and wax on my own. i send my car for polishing like every 6 months to remove the heavy swirl marks. then in between i use the hand applied glaze on my own to eliminate the light swirl marks, then 6 months down the road, i send it for polishing again. so far, my car has nvr been required to use rubbing compound. i believe if u maintain ur cars paintjob properly, u wun need rubbing compound ler. by the way, that paste compound u mentioned, i really have no idea wat is that. its some product by turtle wax? how aggresive issit? if its aggresive then u need a rotator to do a good job and u need sumthing less aggresive to remove the swirl marks done by the compound, usually from rubbing compound then to polish. u'll need a rotator to do a good job. some glazes are applied using a rotator as well. heres a simple example: its basically like when u use a 800grit sandpaper, its very coarse rite? so after using 800grit, then u go to 1000grit, the 1000grit will remove the marks left by the 800grit and give u a smooth surface, then from 1000grit u go to 1200 which gives u an even smoother surface, then to 1500, eventually u go to the highest grit which will still leave abit of mark which is almost unnoticed. but very very very minor ones, tats when glazes come into play to fill them up. so actual detailing has to go through proper steps.

wat i would recommend u is to get ur car detailed by a detailer once to remove swirl marks and any impurities. from then onwards, it'll be easier to maintain. if u want i can intro u my detailer, he does home service, me and my dads car is done by him every 6 months. his job is just 100% fantastic, and the price is very reasonable bcoz he doesnt open a shop. so his costing is much lower. and another thing is he uses meguiar's only :) if u want, just pm me i'll give u his number.

Last edited:

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
what you mean by 'detailer'? he does car painting? how much he charged you for removing swirl marks?

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
detailer is ppl who do detailing jobs for ur car, not painting. u know like harry bright etc, those are detailers.

belly70

Dec 6, 2005
munpeng said:
Mengz, thanks for the information.

I wonder where can I get 3M products, didn't see any available at ACE Hardware. mengz, you would suggest me to get paste compound? or any compound that has abrasive to reduce swirl marks? have you tried any brands that have brought you success?

By the way, where can I get glaze products? have you heard of the Turtlewax's paste compound?
Here is the full address and tel nos ( just came back from KL International Motor Show 2006 ) : 3M Malaysia Sdn Bhd, Bangunan 3M, No. 6 Persiaran Tropicana, 47410 Petaling Jaya, Selangor Tel : 03-78062888

cclems

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
Puchong
us.a1.yahoofs.com
mengz said:
munpeng, erm actually 3M car care products is like damn hard to get in malaysia, i dunno y they nvr market their product properly. i have a bottle of 3M IMPERIAL HAND GLAZE 39007 that my dad brought back from office. after this one finish i also dunno where to get again. according to my dad, 3M malaysia doesnt bring in this product.

anyways, i wouldnt suggest that u get a rubbing compound and do it urself, coz if u dunno wat u are doing, u might dmg ur clearcoat, maybe ur paint even. for me, i leave the rubbing compound and polish to my detailer, he does a fantastic job. i only use the hand applied glazes and wax on my own. i send my car for polishing like every 6 months to remove the heavy swirl marks. then in between i use the hand applied glaze on my own to eliminate the light swirl marks, then 6 months down the road, i send it for polishing again. so far, my car has nvr been required to use rubbing compound. i believe if u maintain ur cars paintjob properly, u wun need rubbing compound ler. by the way, that paste compound u mentioned, i really have no idea wat is that. its some product by turtle wax? how aggresive issit? if its aggresive then u need a rotator to do a good job and u need sumthing less aggresive to remove the swirl marks done by the compound, usually from rubbing compound then to polish. u'll need a rotator to do a good job. some glazes are applied using a rotator as well. heres a simple example: its basically like when u use a 800grit sandpaper, its very coarse rite? so after using 800grit, then u go to 1000grit, the 1000grit will remove the marks left by the 800grit and give u a smooth surface, then from 1000grit u go to 1200 which gives u an even smoother surface, then to 1500, eventually u go to the highest grit which will still leave abit of mark which is almost unnoticed. but very very very minor ones, tats when glazes come into play to fill them up. so actual detailing has to go through proper steps.

wat i would recommend u is to get ur car detailed by a detailer once to remove swirl marks and any impurities. from then onwards, it'll be easier to maintain. if u want i can intro u my detailer, he does home service, me and my dads car is done by him every 6 months. his job is just 100% fantastic, and the price is very reasonable bcoz he doesnt open a shop. so his costing is much lower. and another thing is he uses meguiar's only :) if u want, just pm me i'll give u his number.
hi mengz,
u dont mind PM me yr detailer's no. i would like to try his service. btw any special discounts if mention yr big name?!? hahaha....

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
Belly70, it's really nice of you to inform me about that, thanks.

cclems, after mengz's detailer polish your car, post again to let me know the result okay? thanks. I want to know whether mengz was being honest or not (just joking, lol).

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
belly70, tat address u posted is 3M malaysia's address. my dad is working there, he told me 3M malaysia doesnt bring in this product.

cclems, pm-ed u his tel number. price wise tat one u discuss with him ler, i dun earn anything one. i dun wanna be involved either :) i find his service very good and just wanna share with u all. girls cannot share la :P

wah munpeng, i type so much things for u, u wanna question my honesty meh? :P jkjk.

belly70

Dec 6, 2005
mengz said:
belly70, tat address u posted is 3M malaysia's address. my dad is working there, he told me 3M malaysia doesnt bring in this product.

Are u referring to 3M IMPERIAL HAND GLAZE 39007? That one I'm not sure (maybe you are right bcoz ur dad is working there). I was just trying to help our friend to locate the 3M whereabout bcoz when I visited the 3M booth during KLIMS yesterday, they asked me to go there if I'm interested in buying 3M products.

cclems

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
Puchong
us.a1.yahoofs.com
mengz said:

cclems, pm-ed u his tel number. price wise tat one u discuss with him ler, i dun earn anything one. i dun wanna be involved either :) i find his service very good and just wanna share with u all. girls cannot share la :P

wah munpeng, i type so much things for u, u wanna question my honesty meh? :P jkjk.
tks mengz... i will make sure i get good good discount. we shall the result later. my regular detailers does a good job though(also using meguiars upon request). charged rm300 for my kelisa, only lazy to send there and wait ½day like dungu.

munpeng

500 RPM
Apr 9, 2006
wah, RM 300 is quite expensive, with that you can buy 5 bottles of Featherlite and DIY, coz Featherlite is a quality product too, just that it doesn't remove swirl marks permanently, and after kena rain have to DIY again. That's why I am still 'listening' to other available alternatives, hehe.

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
belly70, i doubt u can purchase anything at 3M's building. coz they deal with their distributors, if u wanna buy then u need to deal with their distributors. ang moh company is like tat one ler.

munpeng, u cannot compare featherlite and a professional detailer ler. featherlite is a product....ok put it this way(no offense to focapoint). featherlite is pretty much like an all in one for normal usage. u can use it to maintain and to prevent, and slightly remove stains/oxidation. but u cannot use it to remove heavy swirl marks.

if u want to remove swirl marks then u definitely need those aggresive polishes and a rotator to remove, also not just equipment. the skill of doing it, when and where to apply pressure, speed of the rotator etc. sure u can buy ur own meguiar or 3M swirl mark removers or heavy cut polishes, but do u know how to apply them? if u dunno wat u are doing, most slightly u'll scrape ur clearcoat out :P

basically when u pay a detailer ur paying for his labour/skills. anyways not like ur gonna spend rm300 every month. its just like once annualy or maybe once every 6 months.

cclems

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
Puchong
us.a1.yahoofs.com
agreed with what mengz said.

i basically send to ppl 4-6months once to remove squirl marks depending on condition, other than that i use meguiar quik wax at home once a month and use detailing clay when washing car. i think its good enough for me. i believe what we pay is what we get, i havent try featherlite before(so no comments), but until now of all product used, i think nothing still comes close to meguiars not even auto-glm.

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
hehe cclems, im using meguiars NXT tech wax & 3M's paste wax, this 2 are my favourite waxes, and i wax my car twice a month at least. if i feel lazy, then i will use meguiars NXT tech wax, if im hard working and wanna burn more calories, i'll use the 3M's paste wax. both have one thing in common, no abrassive materials, just wax only. my dad was using auto-glym all the while, until i intro-ed him meguiars nxt tech wax for his car, coz its black in colour. until today he is still amazed at the results and keep asking me y nvr intro to him earlier :P

difference:
meguiars NXT tech wax - easier to apply and buff; gives a darker & more wet look shine; smoother surface.
3M's paste wax - harder to apply and buff; gives a more natural gloss; last longer; dissapates water better(water beads up more efficiently).

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i read some articles bout someone having it in the car

can I ask what does it actually mean ?
it will switch off the battery so that the car won't turn on if not on ?

if so , i think it is quite useful for preventing theft ?
coz it can make the car unstartable ?

anyone know how to DIY one ?
or just get one installed ?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience