How to remove burnt oil stains on SS exhaust extractor

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Set aside show/pretty/ugly/weight, wrapping with thermal wrap can compromise SS ? :confused:
http://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html
I laughed so hard reading that link my ass caught fire.
Let me summarize it for you

1. Exhaust wrap is effective at keeping heat in, more so than ceramic coating wish it ever can. Cool, no sites ever disputed that fact.

2. The site you linked to, Century performance sells Sanderson headers.. which guess what? Offers ceramic coating on their headers for a premium of $200 and up. The guy selling snake oil will say snake oil is good and Indian oil is bad, and vice versa.

3. People who parrot saying headers will fail due to wrap.. never wrapped theirs before... people who did, well... https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498224

wrapped my stainless steel header 7 years ago.. guess what? It's still in one solid piece. Car is daily driven everyday. Just recently wrapped my downpipe... better check it for cracks cause it's crap quality. But I have absolute confidence in the header.

4. Headers do fail even without exhaust wrap, that's call thermal fatigue, but you can also call it CRAP headers. They can be crap due to weak design, high vibrations (especially), being stressed beyond designed capacity/load.

Example: http://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/exhaust-manifold-crack-record-thread-959149/

5. Saying thermal wrap causes rust and thermal failure on stainless steel is like saying oxygen causes rust and we shouldn't breathe...

The reason why i avoid wrapping is exactly what sweelt shown you above. I hope you respect different opinions and no i'm not the kind of guy that cares about "show and not go". peace.
People who hang out here long enough knows I'm not here to be a popular guy, I generally don't give a shit what people say or do. But quoting half truths like the Bible is a no joy for me.

So if you BELIEVE that thermal wrap is the cause of cracked headers, I've thrown that claim out of the window cause they crack without wraps too. Sure you can still believe that, but you better stop breathing cause oxygen causes rust dude.

I respect science and truth. Not opinions cause those are like assholes, everybody's got one. I've shown that your "reason" is invalid. And that link is written with commercial interest in mind. Guess what? I'm not selling anything.

And to answer your original question, give Brasso a try. But if it's etched in with oil I think it's pretty challengeing to remove, which is why I suggested wrap in the first place - that way you won't look at the eye sore and get a cooler engine bay at the same time. Black wrap looks damn cool on headers.

Last edited:

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya
diy elbow grease laa. but u need to remove the extractor. LOL. but since you're removing it, just dip it in acid can do. :rofl:
It's damn tedious job to remove it man, gotta remove the radiator fan,crossmember,engine mounting bracket. sighhh.

Wet sand is sandpaper and water loh!
Hahahha got it :proud:

People who hang out here long enough knows I'm not here to be a popular guy, I generally don't give a shit what people say or do. But quoting half truths like the Bible is a no joy for me.

So if you BELIEVE that thermal wrap is the cause of cracked headers, I've thrown that claim out of the window cause they crack without wraps too. Sure you can still believe that, but you better stop breathing cause oxygen causes rust dude.

I respect science and truth. Not opinions cause those are like assholes, everybody's got one. I've shown that your "reason" is invalid. And that link is written with commercial interest in mind. Guess what? I'm not selling anything.

And to answer your original question, give Brasso a try. But if it's etched in with oil I think it's pretty challengeing to remove, which is why I suggested wrap in the first place - that way you won't look at the eye sore and get a cooler engine bay at the same time. Black wrap looks damn cool on headers.
This topic has been discussed on and on all over the web. The reason i didn't want to wrap it now is simple. On a car that is driven short distances to work and home like mine most of the time, I doubt the runners will be hot enough to evaporate the moisture trapped inside especially during rainy days it could be worse. As the topic suggested, I'm asking if there is anyway of removing the oil stain. Period. A simple reply like the last line would be much appreciated, after all we are here to exchange ideas. Peace :fisheye::fisheye:

Last edited:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Normal lah, alignment out a bit...lol
Is healthy discussions.
Discussion with moody boss is worst than here.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Continued

Ok so now you've installed your air filter, changed your exhaust and still have bucket loads of cash to spend, what's next?

Personally I would recommend something that requires very little maintenance and doesn't take much time to install, so I'd suggest to work on the chassis or...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience