How to Perform a Radiator Flush

Victor520

Oct 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
www.chinasinoy.com
Preparing For Your Car Radiator Flush

Your car's radiator and cooling system needs to be clean to be cool. As time goes on, your car's radiator builds solid deposits that can clog the cooling system. A quick, inexpensive radiator flush can keep the system in shape. It's important to change your antifreeze seasonally.
Before you start your radiator flush, make sure you have everything you need. There's nothing worse than draining your radiator only to realize that you need to drive to the auto store for something!

What you'll need to perform a radiator flush:

Phillips head screwdriver or wrench (whichever your radiator drain requires)
Cloth rag
Radiator Flush solution
Coolant
Funnel
Used coolant receptacle
*Be sure to let your engine cool completely before you loosen or remove the radiator cap. Hot coolant can be painful!
Draining the Radiator and Cooling System

The first step in your radiator and cooling system flush is to drain the old coolant from the radiator.
Using your owner's manual or your eyeballs, locate your radiator's drain plug. It could be anywhere along the bottom of the radiator, and will be either a screw plug, bolt plug or a petcock (simple drain valve). Be sure you have your used coolant receptacle in place under the drain before you open it up.

With your coolant catcher underneath the drain, unscrew it and let the coolant empty completely. If you have a screw or bolt type radiator drain plug, remove it completely. If your radiator has a petcock, open it all the way.

*IMPORTANT: Coolant can be very dangerous to pets. It tastes sweet to them but ingesting it can be fatal. Be sure not to leave any -- even a small puddle -- where an animal could drink it.
Add the Radiator Flush Cleaning Solution

Once all of the coolant has drained from the radiator, replace the drain plug and remove the radiator cap. Add the contents of the radiator flush solution to the radiator, then fill it to the top with water.
Replace and tighten the radiator cap. Now start the car and let it run until it gets to its operating temperature (the place on the temp gauge that it normally stays at).

Turn your heater on and move the temperature control to the hottest position. Let the car run for 10 minutes with the heater on.

Turn the car off and wait for the engine to cool off. If the radiator cap or metal radiator is hot to the touch, it's still too hot to open.

*IMPORTANT SAFETY REMINDER: Do not attempt to loosen or remove the radiator cap while the engine is hot. Serious injury can result! Your cooling system is hot!
Drain the Radiator Flush Solution

Once the engine has cooled down, open the drain and completely empty the contents of the radiator. Your radiator flush is almost finished!
Depending on the size of your coolant receptacle and cooling system, you might have to empty it into a separate container to make room for the second draining. No matter what, never pour coolant on the ground!
Refill the Radiator - Radiator Flush Complete!
Now that you have performed a radiator and cooling system flush, all you need to do is refill the radiator with fresh coolant.
Replace the radiator drain plug or fully close the petcock.

Using a funnel to eliminate spills, fill the radiator with a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water. I'm a big fan of the premixed coolant that's become popular lately, it eliminates the measuring or guessing step. With the radiator filled, go ahead and fill the plastic coolant reservoir if your car has separate openings, again with a 50/50 mix.

Tighten all of your caps well and you're like Fonzarelli -- cool!

It's a good idea to check your radiator coolant level in a day or so to be sure it's proper, sometimes an air bubble works its way out and you need to add a little.

bo093

Jul 6, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
You should taken a picture of the flushing fluid with the sediments in it. It show why people do it. :top:
I did it before, it was all brown from the rust.
Btw, I use the same brand for the flush. hehehe

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
You should taken a picture of the flushing fluid with the sediments in it. It show why people do it. :top:
I did it before, it was all brown from the rust.
Btw, I use the same brand for the flush. hehehe
arghh, u dislike me.:biggrin:
Didnt know someone will give a thumb up for copy paste job.:rofl:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Draining the radiator from the drain plug drains the fluid in the radiator only. There will still be fluid in the engine block.
To completely drain clean the flushing chemicals, remove top hose from radiator, start engine and let it run. Once heated up and thermostat opens the water flows out then keep filling with clean water into the radiator. Once clean water comes out the flush is complete.
After refilling with coolant you may need to air bleed the system....

Victor520

Oct 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
www.chinasinoy.com
Draining the radiator from the drain plug drains the fluid in the radiator only. There will still be fluid in the engine block.
To completely drain clean the flushing chemicals, remove top hose from radiator, start engine and let it run. Once heated up and thermostat opens the water flows out then keep filling with clean water into the radiator. Once clean water comes out the flush is complete.
After refilling with coolant you may need to air bleed the system....
oh yeah

christan

Dec 19, 2006
Hie hie...

May I inquire how often should we check on coolent level? How often/mileage should we flush the radiator?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hie hie...

May I inquire how often should we check on coolent level? How often/mileage should we flush the radiator?
Nowadays radiators comes with expansion bottle. When hot it goes to expansion bottle and when cool water gets suck back into radiator. If there is no leak in your system, you will never loose water. But it is good practice just to check the level once in a while to make sure the system is running fine.
As for coolant change, depends on the coolant used.
I know original coolant last at least 2 to 3 years or even more. Those cheap green coolant I have used lasted 6 months to a year only.
Toyota long life coolant lasted 2 years, but they are 3 times the price, but peace of mind no need service for 2 years. The other need to do every 6 months or so.
When checking the coolant level look at the water color. Once the color have faded time to flush and change...:driver:

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
the radiator hose to the engine, can unscrew the clamp abit let those dirty water come out as well. coz most of the time ppl just open drain plug. i diy a few flush via drain plug. then 1 time im lazy and brought to mecha. he show me that there are still rusty water / coolant at engine. alot mecha dont do this. at most they open the drain plug, stuck a tube with water running and wait awhile. fill up,coolant in and bye

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
the radiator hose to the engine, can unscrew the clamp abit let those dirty water come out as well. coz most of the time ppl just open drain plug. i diy a few flush via drain plug. then 1 time im lazy and brought to mecha. he show me that there are still rusty water / coolant at engine. alot mecha dont do this. at most they open the drain plug, stuck a tube with water running and wait awhile. fill up,coolant in and bye
I flush from the radiator hose too. But to get the water in the engine out, you will need to start the car and let it run.
Drain from drain plug only flush the radiator....

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
yup complete flush need to remove top hose. I just did a coolant change last week. Fill in with Motul Inugel Ultra Expert concentrated. Keep the engine running then let the thermostat opens to drain out all the old fluids inside the water jackets. On my 206 I took out the thermostat to change it during coolant change.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Take out thermostat, then no need wait to warm up, water comes straight out. Mine I worried the gasket at thermostat tear, so rather let it warm up....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,
need help & advice :adore:
im planning to buy lancer (ck2a) convert evo6 (4WD)

1. Can i endorse the 4WD? (4WD not endorse yet)
2. Is it true to convert 2WD (ck2a) - 4WD need to "potong/tukar lantai"? is it legal or illegal?
3. Inspection puspakom "lepas" or not? (if i remove the 4WD)
4. If "kantoi" kena SITA or not??

TQ sifoos :adore:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience