GR Yaris arrives Malaysia - RM299K with Performance Pack!

Needles Tosay

Newspeed
Jun 10, 2020
Petaling Jaya

The most wanted GR Yaris finally arrives! For RM299K, Malaysian buyers get the top spec Performance Pack included. Almost 200 units have been allocated here, so you need not rush, but if you do, it'll even include a limited time only, exclusive GR Yaris Driving Experience in 2021 as an early bird treat.

5.5 sec / 261ps / 360nm / 1.6L 3 cylinder turbo G16E-GTS / 6 speed manual / 4WD / 1280kg /230kmh

GR Yaris Performance Pack
  • Torsen LSD front and rear
  • 18-inch BBS wheels
  • Michelin PS4S tyres
  • Stiffer springs and anti-roll bars
  • Retuned dampers
  • Retuned power steering
  • GR red brake calipers
GR Yaris as standard
  • LED headlights, tailights , DRL, fog lights
  • Start button
  • Keyless entry
  • Head up display
  • Front Dashcam
  • Apple CarPlay Android Auto
  • Reverse camera
  • Toyota Safety Sense
Toyota Safety Sense
  • Autonomous emergency braking
  • Lane keeping assist
  • Auto high beam
  • 6 airbags
Colours
  • Platinum White Pearl
  • Emotional Red II
  • Precious Black

Official Press Release

GR YARIS MAKES IT MALAYSIAN DEBUT WITH LIMITED UNITS OF THE TOP OF THE RANGE PERFORMANCE PACK EDITION

• Competition-built WRC car refined for the road
• High performance via new turbo charged engine, light weight construction and an
advanced four-wheel drive system
• Performance Pack Edition: Beefier suspension, LSD, Forged BBS Alloy Wheels & Michelin
Pilot Sport 4S tyres

UMW Toyota Motor Sdn Bhd today celebrates the arrival of the highly-anticipated GR Yaris, with limited units of the top-of-the-range Performance Pack Edition being made available for the Malaysian market.

Priced at RM299,000.00, (excluding road tax and comprehensive insurance) only limited production units of the GR Yaris Performance Pack Edition will be sold in Malaysia, with each car bearing a special number plate to indicate its exclusivity. The GR Yaris is available in three signature colours: Platinum White Pearl, Emotional Red 2 and Precious Black.“We are absolutely excited and thrilled to welcome the GR Yaris to Malaysia. It is a car that has attracted so much of attention and praise globally, it sets a new and higher bench mark not only for a vehicle in its segment but also in the very way in which the car was actually built, and when you’re finally confronted with it, all I can say is the GR Yaris’ reputation as a competition-bred performance car precedes it,” said UMW Toyota Motor Sdn Bhd President Ravindran K. The GR Yaris Ravindran added, consolidates Toyota’s Gazoo Racing (GR) line-up of vehicles in Malaysia which also includes the 3.0-litre GR Supra and the newly-launched Vios GR-Sport, giving customers multiple entry points into owning performance-built models from Toyota. Meanwhile, UMW Toyota Motor Deputy Chairman and Gazoo Racing Malaysia’s Chief Motorsport Officer Akio Takeyama said the GR Yaris underlined Toyota’s commitment to excel at the highest levels of international motorsports and to channel this experience, knowledge and benefits back into manufacturing ever better vehicles for the masses. “The manufacturing process is a first for Toyota, whereby the competition elements and requirements dictated the building and engineering of the GR Yaris. The end product and the results have been phenomenal.”

In commemorating what is not only a highly anticipated model but one purely bred for competition, UMW Toyota Motor Sdn Bhd is also offering an Early Bird Package that will see buyers of the GR Yaris receiving an exclusive helmet bag, a GR Yaris scale model and undergoing a GR Yaris Driving Experience in 2021, the combined package of which is worth RM5,000.00.

THE BIRTH OF A WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER

When the dust settles, the GR Yaris is ultimately a World Rally Championship (WRC) car built for the road and it is the only WRC road legal car you can buy for non-competition purposes. Even before designers produced the very first renderings, it was conceptualized as a WRC car, the intention was to build a WRC car, it was purposed as a WRC car, it was engineered with dimensions and components tailored to being a WRC car, and it was built with expertise and knowledge of a WRC winning team.

Breaking convention, and not turning a mass produced vehicle into a competition contender, Toyota engineered the GR Yaris purely as a purpose-built rally car with its sights firmly set on competing at World Rally Championship (WRC) before refining it into a road-going high performance hot hatch. The GR Yaris is Toyota’s first homologation model for the WRC since the Celica GT-FOUR was last produced in 1999.

Built on a unique platform combining Toyota’s new GA-B platform (from the new generation Yaris hatchback) and a rear section adapted from the GA-C platform (used for the Corolla and CHR), the GR Yaris is the first production model to built at the bespoke GR factory at Motomachi,

Japan – the same facility responsible for building the Lexus LFA supercar. The GR Yaris is built to fill extremely large shoes, with Toyota’s WRC heritage dating back to 1973 and includes winning four WRC Manufacturers’ Championship titles and three Drivers’

Championship titles.

Engineered in collaboration with the Toyota Gazoo Racing World Rally Team and Tommi Makinen Racing, under the stewardship of its team principal and WRC legend Tommi Makinen, the GR Yaris benefitted from competitive advantage in terms of vehicle development, technologies and expertise from the very beginning of its inception. The team’s WRC designers and engineers were able to focus on perfecting the aerodynamics, weight distribution and lightweight construction of the car – the three key qualities essential to achieving the best performance and drivability. The result was a lower roofline to enhance the GR Yaris’ aerodynamic performance; an all-new 1.6-litre turbocharged engine; repositioning of the battery in the boot for better chassis balance to improve handling, stability and responsiveness; and the birth of a new three-door body shell made from lightweight materials including carbon fibre polymer and aluminium, to deliver an impressive power-to-weight ratio, while the new platform allows for a wider rear track and new double wishbone rear suspension system.

PRONOUNCED AGGRESSION

The front silhouette of the GR Yaris is bold and menacing, projecting its highly-competitive identity. The large front opening at the front takes the shape of radiator and has been designed for maximum cooling performance while vertical intakes on both sides of the front bumper function to cool the brakes. The top carved edges of the front bumper also function as canards accentuating its wide and low stance. Moving towards the rear, the GR Yaris gets a tapered roof and rear pillars in addition to a deep, high-mounted GR spoiler to enhance its overall down force.

The GR Yaris is fitted with 18" inch BBS forged alloy wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot 4S 225/40R18 tyres - exclusive to the Performance Pack Edition - and to announce its unmistakable presence, the distinctive GR badges adorn the front bumper, front fenders and the rear tailgate.

PEDIGREE PERFORMANCE

Powered by a 1,618 cc three-cylinder, In-line, DOHC, intercooler turbo charged engine, the GR Yaris produces a maximum power of 261 PS @ 6,500 rpm and 360 Nm of torque @3000-4600 rpm.

“The 1.6-litre engine follows the WRC 2 regulations. We can safely call it the world’s most powerful three-cylinder engine, the lightest and the smallest 1.6-litre turbo charged unit currently in production,” said Atsunori Kumagaya who led the development project of the GR Yaris.

The GR Yaris is only available with a six-speed manual gearbox with i-MT (Intelligent Manual Transmission) function that detects the driver's shifting operation and matches the engine speed to provide a smooth and comfortable shift feel.

Every detail was addressed to project its performance pedigree. The gear shift lever is positioned high on the centre console and set closer to the steering wheel for quicker shifting while the shift stroke is also shortened and lightened for a more engaging feel.

Utilizing an all-new fulltime four-wheel drive system (GR-Four), the GR Yaris offers Normal, Sport and Track modes. It is the first to be developed since the four-wheel drive system in the Toyota GT-4 some 20 years ago. The GR-Four system distributes power between the front and rear axle via a high response coupling and an electronically controlled multi-plate type clutch that manages the power split between the front and rear wheels. In Normal mode the torque is split 60:40 front to rear, in Sport the torque split is 30:70 while in Track mode, the torque split is a perfectly balanced 50:50 distribution. The Performance Pack Edition also sees the GR Yaris fitted with a Torsen® limited slip differential (LSD).

PERFORMANCE BY LIGHT WEIGHT

Weighing in at 1,280 kg and in order to become a featherweight contender in the WRC, the GR Yaris turned to a number of materials for the construction of the exterior body to achieve a better power-to-weight ratio and structural rigidity.

This includes a roof made of a new forged (rather than woven) carbon material and C-SMC (carbon sheet moulding compound); aluminium bonnet, front doors and rear boot; its design a three-door which reduces weight by another 24 kg; and thin-sheet steel in the wings and side members, with light and strong high-tensile steels in critical areas to ensure structural rigidity and ability to safely absorb and dissipate impact forces.

Performance by light weight was also fulfilled by the design of the new 1.6-litre, three cylinder turbo charged engine; in the suspension, braking and engine components; and carried through to the interior.

Rally-bred suspension tuned by the Toyota Gazoo Racing World Rally Team has the geometry and settings defined to maximize tyre grip. The front anti-roll bar of the Performance Pack Edition is thicker and the diameter of the front suspension spring increased for greater stability and agility.

Stopping power comes in the form of 356 mm ventilated two-piece brake discs with a fourpiston red aluminium GR calipers at the front, and 297 mm ventilated discs with a two-piston aluminium red GR calipers at the rear. The GR Yaris is also fitted with a mechanical handoperated parking brake for extreme cornering in rally stage driving.

INTERIOR SIMPLICITY, ELEGANCE AND EQUIPPED FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING

The interior of the GR Yaris combines simplicity, understated elegance and functionality to reflect on its athleticism and performance. Lightweight was again a primary concern and this included a light but highly rigid seat frame for the black leather with red stitching front sports seats, and all-black rear leather seats. The car gets a bespoke GR three-spoke leather wrapped multifunction steering wheel while the overall interior is finished in black with smoke silver trim details to the interior door handles, side air vents and centre console.

The GR Yaris’ attention to details is astounding. Drilled aluminium sports pedals designed with a wider surface make it easier to switch pedals and facilitate heel and toe shifting between braking and accelerating. The pedal position, pad angle and pressing angle have also been calculated in line with the driver’s hip point to gain the best possible controllability.

Instrumentation in the GR Yaris is an analogue meter featuring white figures with red pointers for high visibility sports driving, and a 4.2-inch TFT colour multi-information display (MID) with an all-wheel drive indicator showing the torque distribution and driving mode selected for the GRFOUR system, a gear shift indicator, as well as a turbo pressure monitor. The GR Yaris also has a Head-up display (HUD).

Infotainment comes in the form of a 7” inch capacitive touch screen with Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ Connectivity*, FM tuner, USB, Bluetooth® and a six-speaker audio system. Other features include a dual zone automatic climate control air-conditioning, electrochromic mirror rear view mirror, electric power steering (EPS), a smart entry system, a push start button with a GR emblem, and power windows with (Auto Up / Down with Jam Protection). An engine sound enhancement system meanwhile, transmits exhilarating sounds into the cabin in accordance with the accelerator operation amount and torque.

SAFETY ALWAYS A TOP PRIORITY

Guided by the high levels of safety in a WRC car, at the heart of GR Yaris’ safety system is the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction control (TRC). The VSC also features an Expert mode allowing the driver to disable it and the TRC. Other standard features include Anti-lock Braking System (ABS); Brake Assist (BA); and Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD). Safety is further reaffirmed with Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) features that include a Pre-Crash System (PCS); Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC); Lane Departure Alert (LDA); Lane Tracing Assist (LTA); and Auto High Beam (AHB).

Protected by 6 SRS airbags, other safety features include Hill-start Assist Control (HAC); front rear seat belt reminder; automatic retractable wing mirrors with turn signal lamps; automatic wipers with rain sensor; driving video recorder; rear parking sensors; a tyre pressure monitor system (TPMS); three-point Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) seatbelts with two pre-tensioners and force limiters; isofix ready; an immobiliser, siren and intrusion sensor; and Toyota’s premium security and solar film window tint. Vehicle Telematics System is available as an optional accessory.

The GR Yaris comes fully-backed by a five-year warranty 5 years warranty from the date of first registration with unlimited mileage (terms and conditions apply). With a production of a mere 25,000 units only worldwide and less than 200 units are available here in Malaysia, the GR Yaris is not only one-of-its-kind, but also a rare and unique model to own. The exceptional GR Yaris is available exclusively at all GR Garage outlets. For more information on the GR Yaris, log on to our website at www.toyota.com.my

Attachments

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Makes the Honda Civic Type R look like a bargain.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Makes the Honda Civic Type R look like a bargain.
Half the cylinders, half the space, and 100k less. I dunno. Does it really?

Anyway on a side note you'll be asking yourself : Do I get a Yaris or a Merc for RM299k

but then again only 200 units, AWD, unique, good handling, etc etc etc..

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Half the cylinders, half the space, and 100k less. I dunno. Does it really?

Anyway on a side note you'll be asking yourself : Do I get a Yaris or a Merc for RM299k
The person who bought this Yaris via WhatsApp to his sales advisor already has a S-Class in his driveway next to his Ferrari and LC500, among other cars.

He needs this Yaris because it’s easier to park when he goes to 7-Eleven. Cause the LC500 is a bit long, and he’s not a dick who double park when there is parking.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
The person who bought this Yaris via WhatsApp to his sales advisor already has a S-Class in his driveway next to his Ferrari and LC500, among other cars.

He needs this Yaris because it’s easier to park when he goes to 7-Eleven. Cause the LC500 is a bit long, and he’s not a dick who double park when there is parking.
Dont forget...he was sending the whatsapp while he is in his AMG G-Wagon.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom and Izso

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Modern day street legal rally car like the Evos and the WRXs back then. Good spec, just not sure yet of the 3 cyl and the look (at least still much better looking than the Type R), and too expensive.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Modern day street legal rally car like the Evos and the WRXs back then. Good spec, just not sure yet of the 3 cyl and the look (at least still much better looking than the Type R), and too expensive.
I wouldn't compare this to the Evo or the STI. But it goes to show that technology advances rapidly.

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
wouldn't compare as in GRY is better or worse than?
why not compare with it older brother celica or caldina gt4

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
wouldn't compare as in GRY is better or worse than?
4 door sedan vs 2 door hatch
Crazy price on this one

heritage and history vs new kid on the block.

if I had a Evo 9 MR back of my Ferrari next to a G Wagon in front of my LC500 in my basement and my S class front of my round about, I’ll buy this for fun.

otherwise I’ll buy an Evo, everyday, all day, regardless of which day over this GRY. those 4 doors will come in handy.

But the real reason is simple. If you’re an enthusiast, it’s so easy to slap mods on the Evo. And it has proven itself in rally, drag, track and time attack (but that’s heavily modified).

oh and if you keep the Evo stock, I think the price will only go up. GRY will lose its value the moment it hit the tarmac.

Reactions: Tom

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Crazy price on this one

if I had a Evo 9 MR back of my Ferrari next to a G Wagon in front of my LC500 in my basement and my S class front of my round about, I’ll buy this for fun.

otherwise I’ll buy an Evo, everyday, all day, regardless of which day over this GRY. those 4 doors will come in handy.

But the real reason is simple. If you’re an enthusiast, it’s so easy to slap mods on the Evo. And it has proven itself in rally, drag, track and time attack (but that’s heavily modified).

oh and if you keep the Evo stock, I think the price will only go up. GRY will lose its value the moment it hit the tarmac.
They're totally different cars but I meant the concept behind them to offer road cars which are like their respective rally counterparts is similar. It's just back then rally cars were 4 door c-segment sedans while now they become small hatchbacks, hence different road legal offerings too.

As for value, Evos also had drop values first before creeping up lately. Who knows maybe the GRY also might do the same after over 10 years from now. The problem for the GRY is that whether pure gasoline cars still legal or not to be driven everywhere by then. But yeah for 300k if you want to buy now, can get 2 Evos for that amount and you'd make profit from both of them.

Reactions: Tom

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
why not compare with it older brother celica or caldina gt4
5th gear already compared it to the Celica GT4 or forgot the model name. The 4WD Celica was slower than the GR Yaris by a whole 7 seconds. Same driver, same track. That's pretty insane.

Crazy price on this one

You're looking at this in the practicality POV. Me thinks this GRY will appreciate over time being a rally homologation car. These homologation cars are almost always worth something over time.

The Evo however hasn't started going crazy in terms of pricing unlike R32/34 and FD2R. But it's like you said, the GRY wouldn't be my first choice if I had 300k cash to buy a car.

Reactions: Tom and leinnz

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
5th gear already compared it to the Celica GT4 or forgot the model name. The 4WD Celica was slower than the GR Yaris by a whole 7 seconds. Same driver, same track. That's pretty insane.

You're looking at this in the practicality POV. Me thinks this GRY will appreciate over time being a rally homologation car. These homologation cars are almost always worth something over time.

The Evo however hasn't started going crazy in terms of pricing unlike R32/34 and FD2R. But it's like you said, the GRY wouldn't be my first choice if I had 300k cash to buy a car.
Fd2r prices is going crazy meh? I saw still cheaper than Evos. The ones really crazy prices are S2k, r32/34, Supra 2jz, and RX7.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I wanna mod my 4g91...I feel my 91 like 1.3sohc engine. Cannot tapau my friend. he oso use 4g91(stock)...

So, i need someone to help me to mod my engine..please....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience