Gearbox Oil ...

scheizer

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Guys, im having trouble shifting to 2nd gear during cold start up ... plus the weather here in perth is getting colder day by day ... so was wondering what grade of oil should i use ? For SR20DET ....

What brand do u usually use in malaysia ... here got people recommend redline lightweight shockproof, seems that the gearbox works really well when using this oil .. like new gearbox ...but 3 times more expensive then normal oil ... $100 plus AUD

gsr

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
PJ
Visit site
Yup, Redline gear oils are great stuff.
Currently using Redline 75w-90 on a 4G93... ;)

devious17

Nov 18, 2003
Kay Ell
I have been using engine oil (castrol magnatec) in my FF LSD B6 turbo .The day it was sold it still runs that oil. Gear shifting as normal but engine responce muc hbetter owing to the viscousity of the engine oil.

gsr

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
PJ
Visit site
The Redline 75w-90 cost RM55 per quart/bottle.
U'll need about two bottles for the 4G93 F5M22 box.

Wow, engine oil in a gearbox. Wouldn't that be too slippery for synchros to function properly. Additives in the oil might also corrode the brass/copper element. :o

simplythebest

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Selangor
I'm using Castrol EPX 80W/90 for my 1.3, is my first time using it .. I can't feel or tell the difference at all. :unsure:

I

Indecided

Pennzoil 80W90, much smoother on my SM4 between shifts. cuts like butter..before i used to have to use some force occasionally. first change in 10000km. (gearbox was replaced and filled normal oil..)

RM52 for 2 lit.

gti[GSR]

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
does anyone noe where to get pennzoil synchromesh addictives???

pls advice where 2 get... lookin for one,, i read a lot of articles n forum on it... many evos used to lubricate their synchros....

FocalPoint

500 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
In manual gearboxes, the addition of just 5% mixture of Tufoil together with high grade GL-5 gear oil will make gear boxes run cooler and shift easier.

The reason why Fluoramics Inc. did not come out with a special packing for gear treatment is because their biggest market which is America is already using the Tufoil engine treatment in manual gearboxes for over 25 years already. There is hence no need to design new packing and say all the blah blah on the new sticker.

As we said in another thread elsewhere, Tufoil is the least commercial of all products in this genre. There is no need to make so much noise. Tufoil came from an award-winning lubrications scientist who is also president of the company and made in-house in the factory with own production and R & D facilities. Besides, Fluoramics is proud owner of not 1 but 2 units of semi-electron microscopes, costing a cool RM 2,000,000 each!! You can actually see "streets" and "highways" on worn ball bearing surfaces!! There is hardly any wear with the use of Tufoil. Piston rings and cylinder walls stay like new for a long time. Once they suffer wear, you lose engine compression and horsepower. No way, we are going to allow these hard to gain and expensive horses to escape!! We, like you are always thinking of gaining more horses and not losing them.

What say you, zth folks?

gti[GSR]

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
but i tot mitsu gb arent suppose to mix wif gl-5 oils... i tot most mitsu use gl-4 oils???

also, bro, i noe tufoil are gud, but i also read a lot of comments on tufoil as it contains teflon... i dunno if dis is tru, but dey say dat, teflon breaks down da oil moleculs so dat it cud flow better n smooth hence remove its noise eg tappets... (IM USING DEM 2) jus wish u to clarify. but on da downside, its 2 smooth thus it'll bypass da oil filter... carryin all its waste n will block da oil passage ways...!!! dis is tru from wat i read, im not bs... can u clarify dis?

FocalPoint

500 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
gti(GSR), none of what you said is true. Tufoil doesn't cause any of those funny problems. Tufoil isn't all about teflon. It has a lot of other stuffs inside the bottle. On top of that, it has the technology that has won 12 patents worldwide. Backyard and contract manufacturers don't get all these and they start to pick on Tufoil.

The reason why Mr. Reick has so many detractors is because he is the only one in the world that has successfully produced an engine treatment that beats the daylights out of larger companies. It is always the case. When you cannot make something good you start to talk bad about other people.

We have used over 30 bottles of Tufoil in our engines and gear boxes. Based on all the hearsay, our engines should all be gone by now. They are in fact all purring with plenty of class and power. Car mechanics always marvel at our cars.

Americans are no fools. If Tufoil is no good, the factory cannot last 30 years. The Guinness Book of Records are no fools either. The US government and also Canada aren't either. They have all tested Tufoil and derived good results.

So, gti(GSR) thanks for bringing this up. We also count and treasure you as a Tufoil customer although you have not used it yet. It is really no good to keep all these unfounded worries in your brain. Thanks to Tom & ZTH, this is indeed a perfect platform for motoring therapy.Here we put to rest rumours and strange beliefs so that you can get maximum enjoyment in the streets.

gti[GSR]

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
oh im not tryin to bring a fuse ere... i am using tufoil 2...jus havin doubts now... esp wif wat i read... ye ai noe some ppl do talk bad bout otehr ppl....

bro ya gearbox addictives, how much?

wellz... i heard a lot of positive comments on pennzoil synchromesh for mitsu gb, how abt urs??? as mitsu cars faces a lot of probs wif its synchros... so we are unable to shift at high points of revs... n has dis grinding noise... can u comment me on this or wud you item cure such probs???

FocalPoint

500 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
My brother gti(GSR), just a 5% mixture of Tufoil together with your new gear box oil will do. If your gear oil is 2 litres, just about half a bottle of Tufoil is all that is needed. It's simply a great experience. Great to hear that you are already a Tufoil user, gti(GSR). Thanks for the support.

gti[GSR]

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
i hope i dun offend ya b4 wif mah comments, i jus makin research wif TEFLONs...

:)
may i noe where i can get tufoil gearbox oil? or u mean jus da engine addictive tufoil can b added to gearbox oil???

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hai..sory to disturb.did anybody know whats the different btween MAP and AFM for 1.6 4agze supercharger?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience