Gap on a Stearing

CrankShaft

Known Member
Jul 25, 2005
USA
Guys,

What could be the problem if there is a gap when u turn your stearing when u turn there slightly a gap before it grips your tyre?

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
dude, not sure wat u mean but all cars has got a certain amount of freeplay on the steering (about 2cm off centre). Meaning, if u put the steering in centre position, u have to move the steering more than 2cm before the wheel would turn.

CrankShaft

Known Member
Jul 25, 2005
USA
is that normal? ...but i think mine is too much gap what could be the problem?

tks

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
USJ
Visit site
uneven tyre wear, cuz your alignment can never be 100% correct. when u drive your wheels will be constantly moving left <--> right, u can feel it la, you'll be constantly correcting your steering even while driving on a straight road.

common cause? rack end/ball head/tie rod, or whatever u call it...heheh! different place u go ppl call it differently. u can check by jacking up the front of your car one side at a time, and rocking your wheels from side to side. from there u can see where the problem is.

cheers!

mustexus

Aug 18, 2004
hye guys,
i just wanna share my xperience with this problem. i have the same problem after done on wheel balancing. firstly, the steering will have more freeplay. eventhough i go to do an allignment, its still doesnt fix the problem. then, i ve to changed the steering rack and problem fixed. this kind of problem is actually coming from the centre of rack. mechanics prefer to change the whole rack rather then used the old one.

CrankShaft

Known Member
Jul 25, 2005
USA
mustexus said:
hye guys,
i just wanna share my xperience with this problem. i have the same problem after done on wheel balancing. firstly, the steering will have more freeplay. eventhough i go to do an allignment, its still doesnt fix the problem. then, i ve to changed the steering rack and problem fixed. this kind of problem is actually coming from the centre of rack. mechanics prefer to change the whole rack rather then used the old one.
any idea how much will it cost?

skyline2778

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
Sban
hi,
i m facing the same thing also....how much would it cost fix this thing.....ie:if steering rack,how much....if bush,how much.Tq guys.... :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i own a wira 1.6 (m) millennium edition my car shake tedious when idle with air cond on until i can hear my dash board sound, when i press some oil (pedal) the car go back to normal.. for your information my car rpm will drop to around 600 - 700 when air cond on and start shake if the rpm to around 1100 the car back to normal....

my question is... is it normal for my car? can i set my car idle rpm to 1100 so the car won't shake so much...??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience