Full Review: Hyundai i30N Performance / 275ps / 6-speed manual

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
@Tom

At first read, it feels you are too generous with the scoring. I guess we need to establish how your scoring works.

Is it the same scoring for ALL cars you review? If so a 7/10 power is ridiculously high for this car. As an example, a BMW 340i would come in at 7.5/10 and an A45S would be a 8/10 for power. And a C63S would be a 8.5/10 (the gap between the i30N & A45S is bigger versus the A45S vs the C63S) a Tesla Model S at 9/10? ... and a 911 Turbo S would be a 10/10? Then the new Tesla Roadster would be 11/10?

It would be utterly confusing if you have different scoring by car type/class. I think it should just be one ZTH scoring, and the cars are relative to each other. I think Doug Demuro's scoring makes more sense as it gives a sense of relativity to the audience.

So if the Kancil 660c is 1/10, the Axia 1000cc would be a 2/10..Myvi 1000cc would be 1.5/10.. a Myvi 1.5L would be 2.5/10, then this i30N would probably be around 5.5/10 - assuming a 330i is 5/10.

AND because this is called ZERO TO HUNDRED, I think scoring for each category should be based on ZERO TO HUNDRED, not ZERO TO TEN.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
@Tom

At first read, it feels you are too generous with the scoring. I guess we need to establish how your scoring works.

Is it the same scoring for ALL cars you review? If so a 7/10 power is ridiculously high for this car. As an example, a BMW 340i would come in at 7.5/10 and an A45S would be a 8/10 for power. And a C63S would be a 8.5/10 (the gap between the i30N & A45S is bigger versus the A45S vs the C63S) a Tesla Model S at 9/10? ... and a 911 Turbo S would be a 10/10? Then the new Tesla Roadster would be 11/10?

It would be utterly confusing if you have different scoring by car type/class. I think it should just be one ZTH scoring, and the cars are relative to each other. I think Doug Demuro's scoring makes more sense as it gives a sense of relativity to the audience.

So if the Kancil 660c is 1/10, the Axia 1000cc would be a 2/10..Myvi 1000cc would be 1.5/10.. a Myvi 1.5L would be 2.5/10, then this i30N would probably be around 5.5/10 - assuming a 330i is 5/10.

AND because this is called ZERO TO HUNDRED, I think scoring for each category should be based on ZERO TO HUNDRED, not ZERO TO TEN.
Hmm..makes sense...
Have one one scoring system plus allow user/us to filter the scoring according to how we like. This way, no need to maintain too many category.

And...maybe should have a std test route to gauge some of the criteria in a non-bias manner.

Anyway, there are no accurate or exact way to rate a vehicle....at least to petrolhead. For layman like me, sufficient power or good delivery is considered powerful enough. What i mean by sufficient? The vehicle does not try to kill me everytime i operates it.
The again, this is ZTH like u said...Anything pedestrian or cant tailgate a Myvi will be rated 1.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah a rating system / list will be nice. I'm thinking 10 different aspects for a total of 100 points like the above, although I have yet to decide if Cockpit and Interior should merge, or if there are more important aspects I missed out

Anyone please feel free to chip in
If you combine cockpit and interior (which is logical too) then you need another criteria to make it 10 to reach total 100 points. Not sure what else to add, maybe noise and insulation?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
for example statement to get 10 marks in your rating system:
power: predictable and smooth delivery
transmission: good ratio and shift quality
and etc...

so that people will know that your full marks of each aspect is relatable, as mentioned by
Izso
As in to mention what's lacking which would have made it a 10 pointer?

Or you mean a 10 pointer example for each aspect that people can refer to?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
@Tom

I do not want to base in on power figures or displacement. That would be like playing Top Trumps or trading cards. Just about anyone can sort the numbers and figure what car goes where. I wouldn't even need to drive the cars then.

I want to rate how good a candidate is as a driver's car through its abilities, not rank them by biggest number.

It would be unfair to rank the 340i's power aspect lower than the A45 simply based on power value. It may make less power on paper than the A45S but we need to consider the power delivery, 6 cylinder vs 4 cylinder, etc etc.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I do not want to base in on power figures or displacement. That would be like playing Top Trumps or trading cards. Just about anyone can sort the numbers and figure what car goes where. I wouldn't even need to drive the cars then.

I want to rate how good a candidate is as a driver's car through its abilities, not rank them by biggest number.

It would be unfair to rank the 340i's power aspect lower than the A45 simply based on power value. It may make less power on paper than the A45S but we need to consider the power delivery, 6 cylinder vs 4 cylinder, etc etc.
I understand where you are coming from. I guess one would really need to read your article, and not rely so much on your scoring, because if they just look at the scores and look at it objectively they would miss your point.

Reactions: alcyon

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I understand where you are coming from. I guess one would really need to read your article, and not rely so much on your scoring, because if they just look at the scores and look at it objectively they would miss your point.
miss my point as in?

How is the scoring any different than using something like 3 out of 5 stars? Would that be easier to understand? if one assume high points mean higher perceived value then that's where it gets messy

Last edited:

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
As in to mention what's lacking which would have made it a 10 pointer?

Or you mean a 10 pointer example for each aspect that people can refer to?
the 2nd statement, which you can use example or your own exemplary standard

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
i read review, i scroll to verdict/bottom line..etc u name it.
If that summary catches my interest i will read whole review.
5 Stars rating is not bad.
0-10 pointer create huge range for cars lovers. Everyone butt dyno is different.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello there car sifu.

please help me on deciding which one is better.

lightened Crank pulley:

Zerone vs Works vs Jasma vs aerospeed vs mythelogy

exhaust system:

i was thinking to install Dsport full exhaust system but i was just wondering,is there any other brand which is good for performance but > (low noise):biggrin:.

spark plug:
BRISK A-Line Yttrium vs Brisk Silver Racing vs Denso Iridium.

best coolant for myvi 1.3(traffic jam+aircond 24/7)

best lubrication for 5000km fast...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience