Flush radiator with coke (Paging MADMAN)

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
bleeding that means, need to let the thermostat to open right ? so the air can circulate in the engine.
correct me if im wrong, the thermostat opens when the fan runs without the air cond turned on ?
There is a bleeding screw or nipple to let air out, but I have never done it as I let the water circulate before locking the radiator cap

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
bleeding that means, need to let the thermostat to open right ? so the air can circulate in the engine.
correct me if im wrong, the thermostat opens when the fan runs without the air cond turned on ?
No no no.. The thermostat separates the water in the engine block from the radiator so the coolant can warm up accordingly and maintain a constant temperature of 80+ degrees celsius (in most stock cars it's about there). To bleed you need to remove the air in the system meaning you run the system until thermostat opens up to circulate the water in the block so any air inside comes out with it and is removed via the radiator cap or overflow tank. You remove thermostat only if you want to remove the water in the block.

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
No no no.. The thermostat separates the water in the engine block from the radiator so the coolant can warm up accordingly and maintain a constant temperature of 80+ degrees celsius (in most stock cars it's about there). To bleed you need to remove the air in the system meaning you run the system until thermostat opens up to circulate the water in the block so any air inside comes out with it and is removed via the radiator cap or overflow tank. You remove thermostat only if you want to remove the water in the block.
There is a bleeding screw or nipple to let air out, but I have never done it as I let the water circulate before locking the radiator cap
Thanks for the reply guys.
I'm gonna do the radiator flush soon, found some deposits inside it.

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
sure thing bro
Please take lots of pics
is it okay to run the engine with the coke/white vinegar in the radiator with the thermostat removed?
i read on some lowyat forum the guy removed his thermostat. not sure his car is okay now though.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
is it okay to run the engine with the coke/white vinegar in the radiator with the thermostat removed?
i read on some lowyat forum the guy removed his thermostat. not sure his car is okay now though.
Running without the thermostat, means water can circulate even when cold. The thing is after flush make sure you install the thermostat back properly

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
As long as you remember to put it back

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
yeap.. confirm..1st gen and 2nd gen myvi didnt have the bleeder nipple...

thermostat housing got casting for that nips..but it wasnt installed

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
hmmm,, if dont have, just let it run until no bubbles coming out from the radiator cap area ?
If flushing by letting engine run, it will heat up quite fast as already warm. Once the water starts circulating, after a while can lock up radiator cap already......

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
hmmm,, if dont have, just let it run until no bubbles coming out from the radiator cap area ?
There's a couple ways to do this. With the hood open it'll take forever to reach 80deg c, so run it until it's hot and there seems to be less bubbles popping up. Ensure your overflow tank is filled properly and your rad cap is working properly, then just cap it off and leave it. Any excess air will pop out and the overflow tank will compensate for any insufficient coolant later.

Or just run it until it's hot, close the hood, go for a short run until you hear the aircon fan turn on, drive back and check water level again AFTER it's cooled down.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i own a honda prelude 2nd generation and now in the process of swapping engine to B16B. I was told by the mechanic that the clutch pump type gearbox cannot be install in my car. the mechanic told me that there is no way to modify it. can anyone here please help me to understand if what the mechanic told me is true? because for what i know even Honda EF can be install with a LSD clutch pump gearbox.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience