First Look: 2016 BMW M2 + Specs and Sound!

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
And now, let's take a look at the BMW M2. I had the pleasure to get up close, although not so much personal yet, during its Malaysian launch 2 weeks ago.

I am intoxicated to the M2's exhaust note and was well impressed by the guys at BMW for actually making it sound proper

Take a listen.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/avKubzWHRpw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="700"></iframe>

Just a couple of weeks ago, we witnessed BMW Malaysia's launch of the highly anticipated M2, a baby M car for discerning drivers. It is likely BMW's most compact M car after the 1M that strives to seal the gap between that and their bigger brother M3 and M4. With 370hp at its disposal from silky smooth 3L Twin Power Turbo N55 engine, this 1.5 tonne baby coupe promises to match the M4's thunderous zerotohundred dash at 4.3 seconds via 7 speed M-DCT dual clutch transmission.

All Malaysian specced BMW M2s will only come in:

1. Long Beach Blue Metallic
  2. 7 Speed M-DCT transmission
  3. On per order basis only 6 speed manual transmission
  4. Black + Blue stitching interior for all markets

2016 BMW M2 Specifications:

Zerotohundred: 4.5 seconds 6 speed manual / 4.3 seconds 7 Speed M-DCT
Top Speed: 250km/h / 155mph limited
Engine: Turbocharged 3.0L straight six in line
Power: 370 / 6500rpm
Torque 465nm
Weight: 1,495kg

Read about our BMW M2 launch story here:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/2016/the-all-new-bmw-m2-coupe-zooms-into-malaysia-priced-at-rm500k/

Video: BMW M2 Exhaust Sound

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fhhrjjTp2uM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="700"></iframe>

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Cars have evolved quite fast. Today the entry level BMW M car is almost as fast or even faster than powerful M cars 10 years ago like the E46 M3 and E39 M5.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Cars have evolved quite fast. Today the entry level BMW M car is almost as fast or even faster than powerful M cars 10 years ago like the E46 M3 and E39 M5.
It is already way much faster! Factory std E46 M3 or E39 M5 could not do zth under 5 sec and this one is already 4.3 sec! To put things more into perspective, even a Ferrari F360 will struggle to do zth in under 4.5 secs!

Good though that a manual option is available at least as special order. Alas either the price or the road tax way over my league, so most probably will never get to enjoy this car. If I'm fortunate enough to reach that level (day dreaming), maybe I'd rather aim for the AMG A45, at least road tax still much cheaper and about as fast! :biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
It is already way much faster! Factory std E46 M3 or E39 M5 could not do zth under 5 sec and this one is already 4.3 sec! To put things more into perspective, even a Ferrari F360 will struggle to do zth in under 4.5 secs!

Good though that a manual option is available at least as special order. Alas either the price or the road tax way over my league, so most probably will never get to enjoy this car. If I'm fortunate enough to reach that level (day dreaming), maybe I'd rather aim for the AMG A45, at least road tax still much cheaper and about as fast! :biggrin:
For a cheaper option, you can probably look at recon E92 M3. Once in a while I can see some dealer at mudah.my bringing in MT version of that. That one is my favorite M3. High revving V8 with ITB. But the 4 litre engine roadtax is expensive though...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
6UEST : that's a good point. The AMG A45 has more power and torque than the 3L TT M2, but using a smaller engine. Where's the logic in that?

Tom : Personally I think all M cars made by the M boffins sound good. They probably handle like a dream too. But I think the M2 and M4 are somewhat stepping on their own toes. How is anyone going to be interested in the M1 or 3 now with these two introduced? Personally though, I'd like a 135i sedan.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
6UEST : that's a good point. The AMG A45 has more power and torque than the 3L TT M2, but using a smaller engine. Where's the logic in that?

Tom : Personally I think all M cars made by the M boffins sound good. They probably handle like a dream too. But I think the M2 and M4 are somewhat stepping on their own toes. How is anyone going to be interested in the M1 or 3 now with these two introduced? Personally though, I'd like a 135i sedan.
The M3 can still appeal to those who want a C segment 4 door performance sedan. More practicability.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

You reach that status, road tax is no longer a problem....heh! heh!:driver:

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
With today's trend of turbocharging.....engine downsizing is like a norm nowadays. Back to the 80s to early 90s kind of scene now.

The M2 sounds nice with its exhaust setup. Not so well verse on BMW's six cylinder sounds but are their straight six engines sounded like that from the previous models? What i had in mind was all the JDM version of six cylinder sounds

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
With today's trend of turbocharging.....engine downsizing is like a norm nowadays. Back to the 80s to early 90s kind of scene now.

The M2 sounds nice with its exhaust setup. Not so well verse on BMW's six cylinder sounds but are their straight six engines sounded like that from the previous models? What i had in mind was all the JDM version of six cylinder sounds
BMW fans are always into their old straight six goodness. As for me, I find the sound from their E92 M3 V8 and E60 M5 V10 even more addictive. Almost sounded like F1 to me. Is like you are driving a bimmer but they sound like Ferrari and Lamborghini. :biggrin:

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
This is a sweet ass car. Honestly, i like this over the M4 (just my opinion ya). Smaller. More compact. Looks good. That front end looks nice with the bumper. I like the bumper. Straight 6 some more. But less 1 turbo la. Hehehehe. But this is now on the top of my list.....for now la....

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
This is a sweet ass car. Honestly, i like this over the M4 (just my opinion ya). Smaller. More compact. Looks good. That front end looks nice with the bumper. I like the bumper. Straight 6 some more. But less 1 turbo la. Hehehehe. But this is now on the top of my list.....for now la....
Less one turbo shouldn't be an issue haha
Twin scroll turbo setup should be good :biggrin:

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Less one turbo shouldn't be an issue haha
Twin scroll turbo setup should be good :biggrin:

But then....If 2 twin scroll....Lagi best right??? :biggrin::biggrin:

But seriously....This car DAMN HOTTTTT....The sound also....EARGASM!!! This is the only "fart" that i enjoy.....other than my own fart of course.....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
For a cheaper option, you can probably look at recon E92 M3. Once in a while I can see some dealer at mudah.my bringing in MT version of that. That one is my favorite M3. High revving V8 with ITB. But the 4 litre engine roadtax is expensive though...
That 4.0 road tax is a killer rm6.6k/yr leh!

I read some comments in some other forums that the A45 engine is pretty stretched already so not much more potential you can squeeze out of it. Don't know if true or not but maybe that's the explanation, it's more maximized already straight from the factory.

You reach that status, road tax is no longer a problem....heh! heh!:driver:
Maybe, maybe not also! You may think rich people spend like nobody's business but there are some who are still very careful with how they spend especially those who raise to riches from the bottom.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I read some comments in some other forums that the A45 engine is pretty stretched already so not much more potential you can squeeze out of it. Don't know if true or not but maybe that's the explanation, it's more maximized already straight from the factory.
It's already considered the most powerful FWD hot hatch in the market now. Why the heck would you want that much more front wheel power anyway?

I'm not a huge fan though, I don't really fancy a hatchback. Only HB i've ever seen that I actually like is the Mazda 3 SPS

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
It's already considered the most powerful FWD hot hatch in the market now. Why the heck would you want that much more front wheel power anyway?

I'm not a huge fan though, I don't really fancy a hatchback. Only HB i've ever seen that I actually like is the Mazda 3 SPS
It's AWD actually when the front starts to loose traction. Well there's that saying that power is addictive, isn't it? Once you get used to it you keep wanting more and more, especially when someone else say in an old Evo can still beat you. :biggrin:

Design wise, I'm still ok with just a few hatch like the A45 or Golf Mk6/7. If not hatch, then opt for the AMG CLA45. You mean Mazda 3 MPS? Hmm really not a fan of that design and I heard the car still has a lot of torque steer too and does not handle nicely in stock form, not sure true or not. The car not so popular as well.