Feedback/suggestions

supernt

Jun 15, 2016
KL
Hi,

I would like some feedback/advice/suggestions regarding my current situation.

I'm currently driving an FD1 year 09 and I believe my absorbers are due to be replaced. The car is so uncomfortable til I don't even feel like driving it anymore :laugh: ... anyways.. what should I do from here? I currently have my budget allocated for something else in the months to come but I still need to do something about the car. I have allocated about 1k+ for the replacement absorbers so the question is, what do I go for? Do I even have options to go for anything but the OEM absorbers from Honda due to the budget allocation?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi,

I would like some feedback/advice/suggestions regarding my current situation.

I'm currently driving an FD1 year 09 and I believe my absorbers are due to be replaced. The car is so uncomfortable til I don't even feel like driving it anymore :laugh: ... anyways.. what should I do from here? I currently have my budget allocated for something else in the months to come but I still need to do something about the car. I have allocated about 1k+ for the replacement absorbers so the question is, what do I go for? Do I even have options to go for anything but the OEM absorbers from Honda due to the budget allocation?
You've replied your own question. You're looking for comfort so OEM is the best. You're looking at budget also OEM is the cheapest.

supernt

Jun 15, 2016
KL
You've replied your own question. You're looking for comfort so OEM is the best. You're looking at budget also OEM is the cheapest.
Yeah that's what I thought.. out of options due to the budget.. I was offered Tokico. Never heard of it to be honest so I don't know if it's worth considering or if I should just go ahead with the OEM.

Would be nice if I could get some feedback/comments regarding Tokico.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Either OEM or OEM type aftermarket replacement can be considered. Tokico, Kayaba, Monroe to name a few are aftermarket brands. They actually manufacture for car brands as OEM so you have to check what is yours. I remember my old ex Honda had Kayaba made OEM shocks......

supernt

Jun 15, 2016
KL
Either OEM or OEM type aftermarket replacement can be considered. Tokico, Kayaba, Monroe to name a few are aftermarket brands. They actually manufacture for car brands as OEM so you have to check what is yours. I remember my old ex Honda had Kayaba made OEM shocks......
Ah so then they're worth considering. How would they react with aftermarket lowering springs?

supernt

Jun 15, 2016
KL
Are they long stroke or short stroke absorbers? Long stroke + short springs = bumpy and lots of discomfort.
I'm not sure. Haven't heard of Tokico only until recently, let alone know anyone using them on their FD.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Ah so then they're worth considering. How would they react with aftermarket lowering springs?
Depends on how hard (spring rate) and low your spring is. Some springs like the Tanabe NF is designed to work within the stock absorbers tolerance/capability with only like 5-10% stiffer and just 2-3cm lower, so they're still a good match.

Original absorbers for Japanese cars are often made either by Kayaba or Tokico (but Kayaba seems to have share).

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If using lowering spring get short stroke absorber or better still go hi lo adjustable absorber, or even better get fully adjustable....:smokin:

supernt

Jun 15, 2016
KL
Depends on how hard (spring rate) and low your spring is. Some springs like the Tanabe NF is designed to work within the stock absorbers tolerance/capability with only like 5-10% stiffer and just 2-3cm lower, so they're still a good match.

Original absorbers for Japanese cars are often made either by Kayaba or Tokico (but Kayaba seems to have share).
Gotcha

supernt

Jun 15, 2016
KL
If using lowering spring get short stroke absorber or better still go hi lo adjustable absorber, or even better get fully adjustable....:smokin:
Fully adjustable is the way to go, maybe in the months to come. For now, just to get things going I'll have to temporarily ride on the OEMs :laugh:

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
Actually Tokico is a good brand.. but they did not advertise it strongly..
anyway.. humans are very funny where me say good, others say no good..
since that you are in tight budget, why not gave it a try...
Malay word always usefull to me "belum cuba belum tau".. (Never try never know)

Good luck..:driver:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Actually Tokico is a good brand.. but they did not advertise it strongly..
anyway.. humans are very funny where me say good, others say no good..
since that you are in tight budget, why not gave it a try...
Malay word always usefull to me "belum cuba belum tau".. (Never try never know)

Good luck..:driver:
I just mentioned the same thing in the other thread, some will say A good, some will say B good.....lol:rofl:

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
I just mentioned the same thing in the other thread, some will say A good, some will say B good.....lol:rofl:
Well, that is why there are a lot of brand name and things coming out in order to serve human needs..:top::flute:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

First, it was design a blank Vios canvas. Now, Toyota Malaysia is getting on the streets "announcing" their latest arrival of the all-new Vios. Yes, with a blank dummy. This is achieved by having a pick up truck ferry a fiberglass mockup(maybe) through a see-through aquarium all around town.

Proton had their peek-a-boo, Toyota has their...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience