Faulty Alternator or Battery?

fat_returns

Apr 2, 2005
My Suzuki SWIFT refused to start earlier this week. I suspected that there was something wrong with the battery and had it replaced with a new battery from AAM.

I also had my alternator and electrical systems checked at a workshop in Sunway and the mechanic said everything was OK.

After replacing the battery, the car worked fine. But the very next day the car refused to start again and requires a jump start.

I am now wondering whether the workshop did not check thoroughly because there is obviously something wrong.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Would really appreciate your views and advice.

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Sounds like an alternator problem - did the BATT / ALT / CHG light on?

xtorm

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2003
sorry bro.borrow ur hread.:)

mine hav light diming problem when the ac kicks in...alternator is ok (charging-tested with meter), the battery still at green.

posible the alternator too old n not catching up? bcos when the a/c is on, the voltage drop from 14.2 to 12.8 or less i think.

AccordRacing

2,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2005
kepong
www.zhapalang.com.my
Originally posted by xtorm@Apr 2 2005, 03:47

mine hav light diming problem when the ac kicks in...alternator is ok (charging-tested with meter), the battery still at green.

posible the alternator too old n not catching up? bcos when the a/c is on, the voltage drop from 14.2 to 12.8 or less i think.
[snapback]861369[/snapback]​
ur a/c use too many power..14.2 drop to 12.8 ..i think its alternator problem,i also face it b4,after i change it everything going better,some more check ur a/c bearing,may be its not smooth moving,so that when ur a/c on its drop much

xtorm

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2003
Originally posted by AccordRacing+Apr 2 2005, 07:47 --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AccordRacing @ Apr 2 2005, 07:47 )</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-xtorm@Apr 2 2005, 03:47

[snapback]861369[/snapback]​
ur a/c use too many power..14.2 drop to 12.8 ..i think its alternator problem,i also face it b4,after i change it everything going better,some more check ur a/c bearing,may be its not smooth moving,so that when ur a/c on its drop much
[snapback]861453[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

yalor...tot of tat too.but lazy to go open it uplah......:P

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
Originally posted by fat_returns@Apr 2 2005, 02:23
My Suzuki SWIFT refused to start earlier this week. I suspected that there was something wrong with the battery and had it replaced with a new battery from AAM.

I also had my alternator and electrical systems checked at a workshop in Sunway and the mechanic said everything was OK.

After replacing the battery, the car worked fine. But the very next day the car refused to start again and requires a jump start.

I am now wondering whether the workshop did not check thoroughly because there is obviously something wrong.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Would really appreciate your views and advice.
[snapback]861258[/snapback]​
i've seen ppl coming back to my mechanic wif the same problems wif u...
ended up is the new battery kong.... but luckily thier battery supplier can claim back another battery free 1 if less than 1 year kong.

fat_returns

Apr 2, 2005
Really appreciate all the advice and feedback. Thanks so much.

I think the problem is with the alternator. The AAM mechanic showed me the reading of the new battery on a multimeter and it was less than 12, indicating that the battery is not charging.

Definitely will not take the car back to the Sunway mechanic who failed to diagnose the problem in the first place. Can anyone to recommend a reliable mechanic with reasonable fees in the PJ/KL area?

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
well actually when your alternator fails to charge, you're spoiling your battery. so if it's a new battery you better get your alternator fixed ASAP coz you can't keep a lead acid battery flat for too long, the acid will spoil the plates.

5soul

Known Member
Dec 3, 2004
I had this problem last time in my old wira. I can fell like the car losing power and hard to start. I changed battery twice in few month until i stuck on traffic light and my car just dead while driving.. even the alarm cannot sound.. just the light blinking.

ONce i send to my trusty mechanic, he said that the alternator dead already and not charging at all. So all the while i have been running on battery power. Lesson learned, that what happen when ur alternator is out and worst possiblity, the car engine just go off on the street while driving..

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Originally posted by fat_returns@Apr 2 2005, 02:23

[snapback]861258[/snapback]​
sounds like a electrical leakage somewhere. Ask the electrician to check fully if there is any leakage (eg. trunk lights that does not shut off overnight etc). To check whether it is the alternator, disconnect the battery with the engine running. If the car dies off when u disconnect the battery, confirmed it is the alternator. If it runs okay, use a multimeter on the battery terminals and check if the alternator is charging properly.

betacam02

Mar 24, 2005
hello all..

how do u know, when its the time to check or relpace alternator.

if battery u know how to check, very easy right, but how with alternator ?

any tip ?

thanks

artnet

1,500 RPM
Jan 19, 2004
Sarawak
www.cardomain.com
get ur alternator service... clean dust and replace carbon inside.
and most of them know how to check the electrical components.

if it aint the alternator's fault.. then u might need to check ur trunk
small light.. is it still on when u shut ur boot? is there any cable that
loose and touched metal part. last time a volvo battery keep flat... due to the bulb in the trunk.

when removing ur battery connector is there any huge sparks.. when car is shut down, all doors is closed.. no usage of electricity.

air cond kick in and headlight dim... u might want to try out using the new invented thing... like the local made votech? or pivot thing?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello everyone,

Want to know about tyre size 185/60/R14
Can Kelisa use it?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience