Extractor: Tri-Y vs 4-1

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
I was told that Tri-y extractor is more suitable for street use compared to 4-1... as is the hybrid design between std 4-2-1 n 4-1; manage to cover start from low end torque to high end power.
Any user here? Mind to share the experience ? I'm new in Tri-Y extractor....Thx:adore:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Found this.....

What is the difference between a TRI-Y and a 4-into-1 design?
A 4-into-1 design is perhaps the most traditional design. This design is common to the US market and is well used within the drag race fraternity. The basic principle behind the design is that the scavenging effect within the collector cone effects the three remaining pipes (in a V8 half), instead of limiting the pulse to the very next pipe in the sequence. This generally results in a header that performs very well in the mid-range to top end of the engines performance.

A TRI-Y on the other hand splits the firing order evenly and uses the secondary pipes as sequential collectors. This results in generally a greater scavenging effect due to the fact that scavenging is achieved at 2 different points in the header design, firstly at the primary to the secondary collector and secondly to the secondary outlet collector. Generally this improves torque in the lower to mid range performance of the engine.

Both designs are usually more efficient than a standard manifold and both offer distinctly different advantages.

Daily street use need more low and mid torque rather then high end so Tri Y is more useful....:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Found this.....

What is the difference between a TRI-Y and a 4-into-1 design?
A 4-into-1 design is perhaps the most traditional design. This design is common to the US market and is well used within the drag race fraternity. The basic principle behind the design is that the scavenging effect within the collector cone effects the three remaining pipes (in a V8 half), instead of limiting the pulse to the very next pipe in the sequence. This generally results in a header that performs very well in the mid-range to top end of the engines performance.

A TRI-Y on the other hand splits the firing order evenly and uses the secondary pipes as sequential collectors. This results in generally a greater scavenging effect due to the fact that scavenging is achieved at 2 different points in the header design, firstly at the primary to the secondary collector and secondly to the secondary outlet collector. Generally this improves torque in the lower to mid range performance of the engine.

Both designs are usually more efficient than a standard manifold and both offer distinctly different advantages.

Daily street use need more low and mid torque rather then high end so Tri Y is more useful....:biggrin:
But most stock cars comes with 4-1 from factory right? Like my Jetta A/T

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Thats why all car in our highway go very2 fast.esp the smaller engine one.Stock car from factory have to install cat con so have to use 4-1 to fit the cat con in the engine bay.if put it below then will take up some cabin space as the floor will need to be curve a bit to accomodate the cat con.

4-2-1 or 4-1 does not increase the power much but alter the torque graph more right?

anyway...i have been thinking and discussing it with my bro.From theory,he did agree that if a 4 cylinder engine is equipped with a 4-2 extractor and the 2 pipe form an X in the middle of the car then before going to the rear muffler it will burble like a V engine.Is this theory correct?

What if after the X the pipe from 2 becomes 1 and at ended with a single muffler?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
More to read....
Why don't car companies fit them as standard?
There are two main reasons, firstly like all things, vehicles are made to a standard and a cost. The cast iron standard manifold will always be the cheapest way of producing an exhaust manifold. However, car manufacturers do know the benefits of a tubular designed exhaust headers and indeed generally do offer this type of product on a sports related sedan, eg. HSV, Tickford/FPV, etc. These tubular manifolds are still better than a standard manifold but are still limited to cost, and as such are a compromise in design.

Secondly, cast iron manifolds can be cast into awkward and different shapes to accommodate steering boxes, etc, and can be installed onto the engine along with all the other necessary bolt on components during engine assembly and with the engine still able to be slotted into the body during the vehicle build. Headers however will generally take on a different proportion and often can wind themselves around steering components, etc, which in turn would slow down the vehicle build time process.

Cast iron exhaust are not tubular.....:smokin:

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Thats why all car in our highway go very2 fast.esp the smaller engine one.Stock car from factory have to install cat con so have to use 4-1 to fit the cat con in the engine bay.if put it below then will take up some cabin space as the floor will need to be curve a bit to accomodate the cat con.

4-2-1 or 4-1 does not increase the power much but alter the torque graph more right?

anyway...i have been thinking and discussing it with my bro.From theory,he did agree that if a 4 cylinder engine is equipped with a 4-2 extractor and the 2 pipe form an X in the middle of the car then before going to the rear muffler it will burble like a V engine.Is this theory correct?

What if after the X the pipe from 2 becomes 1 and at ended with a single muffler?
As far as I know extractor cannot be too long then no more back pressure......:smokin:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
More to read....
Why don't car companies fit them as standard?
There are two main reasons, firstly like all things, vehicles are made to a standard and a cost. The cast iron standard manifold will always be the cheapest way of producing an exhaust manifold. However, car manufacturers do know the benefits of a tubular designed exhaust headers and indeed generally do offer this type of product on a sports related sedan, eg. HSV, Tickford/FPV, etc. These tubular manifolds are still better than a standard manifold but are still limited to cost, and as such are a compromise in design.

Secondly, cast iron manifolds can be cast into awkward and different shapes to accommodate steering boxes, etc, and can be installed onto the engine along with all the other necessary bolt on components during engine assembly and with the engine still able to be slotted into the body during the vehicle build. Headers however will generally take on a different proportion and often can wind themselves around steering components, etc, which in turn would slow down the vehicle build time process.

Cast iron exhaust are not tubular.....:smokin:

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

As far as I know extractor cannot be too long then no more back pressure......:smokin:
Oh...didnt know abt the back pressure.
On my bro w124, the 2 is un till under the driver'sseat and its stock.
Maybe due to the different engine layout as its rwd makes it looks longer.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
extractor type to use also subjective to the engine bay size.....and the engine configuration (longitudinal or transverse)

Say, ideally tri-y is the best setup for a transverse configuration.......but the engine bay designed for isn't big enough.
The manufacturer may compromise and resort to another extractor to make the car work. Take note this apply to normal, mass production cars.

This cannot be compared to supercars, where money and resources is no object. Fabricators would go extra miles to optimize extractor length, doing "bunch of snakes". Some fabricator would go extra miles just to make the extractor looks a sexy as it could perform.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
So best we change to Tri Y xD

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Oh...didnt know abt the back pressure.
On my bro w124, the 2 is un till under the driver'sseat and its stock.
Maybe due to the different engine layout as its rwd makes it looks longer.
Probably your W124 capacity bigger. I know my ex Wira, 2 to 1 is under the engine, at the flexible bellow. Original is cast iron 4 to 2 but already join to 1 before reaching the bottom of the engine.
Changing to 4-2-1, using tubular pipes the 4 reaches the middle of engine height joined to 2, but then the 2 goes right down bend towards the rear and join to 1 at the flexible bellow. Overall increase length is more at the 2 piping....:driver:

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

If daily use, because for low to mid increase. 4-1 more for high end :driver:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Probably your W124 capacity bigger. I know my ex Wira, 2 to 1 is under the engine, at the flexible bellow. Original is cast iron 4 to 2 but already join to 1 before reaching the bottom of the engine.
Changing to 4-2-1, using tubular pipes the 4 reaches the middle of engine height joined to 2, but then the 2 goes right down bend towards the rear and join to 1 at the flexible bellow. Overall increase length is more at the 2 piping....:driver:

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

If daily use, because for low to mid increase. 4-1 more for high end :driver:
Tri-Y same as 3-1 or diff? Cuz kelisa is using 3-1 iinm

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
This is why I bring up ....:biggrin:
Tri-Y is with longer at primary which is can let the gas go out faster like 4-1.
Shorten in secondary but still can maintain the torque...:driver:

Tri-Y is 4-2-1 or 4-2-2-1 ...with longer primary:listen:

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

So, Any Tri-Y user here?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Sorry lah! Your SLK can 3-1 only no Y for you.....lol:rofl:
But did see one got 2Y, means 3-2-1....:idea:

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Tri-Y is 4-2-1 or 4-2-2-1 ...with longer primary
Tri Y is just the normal 4-2-1. We don't called it 4-2-2-1.
It is Tri Y, because first 4 go into 2, means got 2 Y, then the 2 go into 1, so additional Y, that is why called Tri Y

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
tri-Y not for 3cylinder engine meh???

3-2-1 configuration rite??

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
I notice that hv 2 types, one piece and 2 pieces with join. Which one better?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Please keep an eye out for my waja 1.6 Auto, Silver and number plate WKC1183. It has been in a few minor accident before on all four sides (scratches). Front bumper is in black and has a blue neon light at the front portion of the bumper when the lights are turn on and also the water sprinkler has blue neon lights too.

The front screen has a shade on the top with mitsubishi racing logo and the back screen top shade has 'No Fear'. The attenna is not the original antenna, it's a short...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience