EX5 minor restore

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
After 6 yrs stop riding my Ex5 to work and only start it to pusing taman only.
Totally forget to upkeep it for 1 and half yr. Result is worrying me.
Must take some action to bring it back to business. lol...DIY work not so beauty lah.

Here the condition when i open mudguard.

Battery compartment save on time. Scrap off rust , applied rust converter, spray high temp paint.

Air filter turn very brittle.

Replaced old spokes rim to tubeless sport rim. All back to business.
AAP sports rim + tires + bearing..etc install by shop. Bring back pasang jee...:biggrin:

Old carburetors replaced, will service old carb + new main jet, pilot jet.
Cleaning, oil change, scrap off any rust, wipe off old dust...etc.
So is a temporary minor restoration to get my ex5 to move.

Attachments

Last edited:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
After 6 yrs stop riding my Ex5 to work and only start it to pusing taman only.
Totally forget to upkeep it for 1 and half yr. Result is worrying me.
Must take some action to bring it back to business. lol...DIY work not so beauty lah.

Here the condition when i open mudguard.

Battery compartment save on time. Scrap off rust , applied rust converter, spray high temp paint.

Air filter turn very brittle.

Replaced old spokes rim to tubeless sport rim. All back to business.
AAP sports rim + tires + bearing..etc install by shop. Bring back pasang jee...:biggrin:

Old carburetors replaced, will service old carb + new main jet, pilot jet.
Cleaning, oil change, scrap off any rust, wipe off old dust...etc.
So is a temporary minor restoration to get my ex5 to move.
Alway reconnect the vapor hose from the bettery to dispersed out battery vapor outside the compartment. Its normal for the hose to be missin. u can use aquarium air hose.

So far from the picture its just surface dust so no worry. The sponge air filter is known to decayed and clogged the carb when no periodic maintenance is done. I just skit the sponge but kept the wire mesh.

U upgrade to sport rim just like what i did when i started to ride to work. Now i am itcy to go backwards by using spoke wheels modified to be tubeless. Been hearing mixed opinion and review in this conversion. This or gold colour 6 spoke aap wheels as my rear rim bearing hub is worn out, need to 'alas' the bearing for perfect fit.

Now mileage is 96k km. i will wait for it to be 100k km before deciding on engine service or minor upgrade. 53mm block with carb setting should be enough for daily ride.

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
Alway reconnect the vapor hose from the bettery to dispersed out battery vapor outside the compartment. Its normal for the hose to be missin. u can use aquarium air hose.

So far from the picture its just surface dust so no worry. The sponge air filter is known to decayed and clogged the carb when no periodic maintenance is done. I just skit the sponge but kept the wire mesh.

U upgrade to sport rim just like what i did when i started to ride to work. Now i am itcy to go backwards by using spoke wheels modified to be tubeless. Been hearing mixed opinion and review in this conversion. This or gold colour 6 spoke aap wheels as my rear rim bearing hub is worn out, need to 'alas' the bearing for perfect fit.

Now mileage is 96k km. i will wait for it to be 100k km before deciding on engine service or minor upgrade. 53mm block with carb setting should be enough for daily ride.
using tubeless on spoke rims is very messy.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
AU upgrade to sport rim just like what i did when i started to ride to work. Now i am itcy to go backwards by using spoke wheels modified to be tubeless. Been hearing mixed opinion and review in this conversion. This or gold colour 6 spoke aap wheels as my rear rim bearing hub is worn out, need to 'alas' the bearing for perfect fit.
How will you keep the air in? Got to seal all the spokes? Moreover the rims may not be build to hold tubeless tyres.....

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
How will you keep the air in? Got to seal all the spokes? Moreover the rims may not be build to hold tubeless tyres.....
got kit for sealing the spoke.
feedback is like leinzz mentioned...messy.
i too have doubt on the rim lip if it can properly seal tubeless tire.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang

Spokes wheel can do tubeless. I opt for easy sports rim. Anyway still keep the spoke wheels. hahaha

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
this 1990 ex5 is priceless to me. Next year will be 30yrs. Might do it all up slowly.

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
this 1990 ex5 is priceless to me. Next year will be 30yrs. Might do it all up slowly.
wow. 1990. the engines are one of the best. if it aint spoil dont buka and clean.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
wow. 1990. the engines are one of the best. if it aint spoil dont buka and clean.
One of the top in thieves list. I takut.
no no no touch engine, ain't broke don fix it. Been through overhaul once during 2004.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
One of the top in thieves list. I takut.
no no no touch engine, ain't broke don fix it. Been through overhaul once during 2004.
Good for u...stock is sufficient.

My route to work involved straights where the bike will reach 80/90/100 on the speedo and stayed there unless the lights turn red. It will do this everyday on weekdays without fail. Thats how tough these machine are. My OCI is monthly basis regardless of mileage and always on the 28th. 28th coz gaji masuk which is an easy tracking method...hahaha

MOU have been obtained with finance minister on getting another bike but i am afraid if i go for it i dont have time for both bikes coz the EX5 will NEVER be sold.

From your pic, is that 80/90 size tire for the front?
From my experience 80/90 up front makes handling less nimble and kinda weird when cornering. Stock size is 70/90.

Last edited:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang

My route to work involved straights where the bike will reach 80/90/100 on the speedo and stayed there unless the lights turn red. It will do this everyday on weekdays without fail. Thats how tough these machine are. My OCI is monthly basis regardless of mileage and always on the 28th. 28th coz gaji masuk which is an easy tracking method...hahaha

MOU have been obtained with finance minister on getting another bike but i am afraid if i go for it i dont have time for both bikes coz the EX5 will NEVER be sold.

From my experience 80/90 up front makes handling less nimble and kinda weird when cornering. Stock size is 70/90.
True about tyre size. Feel kinda uncertain when make turn.

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005

Didn't know about tyre size affect cornering. i am using 80/90 as well. patutla corner macam mahu buang

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Didn't know about tyre size affect cornering. i am using 80/90 as well. patutla corner macam mahu buang
Normally std kapchai stock setup is 80/90 rear and 70/90 front. Maybe the sidewall is taller on 80/90 thus it will flex causing the weird feeling at the front.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Wanna ask otai here about setting ex5 carburetor. By youtube, adjust higher idle then adjust air to get higher idle.
Lastly adjust to normal idle rpm.
Any good instruction for stock setting...tq

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi All,

ANyone heard of this brand ? I am planning to get Card Immobiliser to be install
in my car ...and i see varios of brand available and most of the function are the same but price wise.....Big Diffrent here is some of the quote get from the asking results varios shop near puchong area

1. Black Mamba (RM288 + RM80)
2. Power Guard (RM600) ---the look od this device 95% same as Black Mamba
3. True Guard (RM900) --this one claimed that US product ..but i search thru the net and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience