EVO 3 "Check Engine" Light

FuGZ

1,000 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
Random
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone had any similar symptoms/problems with their 63s, i'm facing a problem i've been tackling for about a year already.

Vehicle: Putra
Engine: 4G63 EVO III
Problem: "Check Engine" light appears then car becomes

1. Underpowered
2. Exhaust temp reading higher than usual
3. Rather not smooth acceleration

Now, from number 2, i was guessing, if that's the case, there'd be prob with the fueling. I'm running with Walbro and the fuel pressure reading is fine. Couldn't be anything wrong with the fuel delivery unless whatever happens in the combustion area goes wrong.

It seems this problem tends to get worse; from rarely (last year) with the "check engine" light on, occasionally, sometimes and now, always (today). When it was on "sometimes", i changed the knock sensor since the diagonse machine indicated it was knock sensor prob, but didn't quite help. Engine could be knocking, but it's not knocking, in fact it had gone thru a top overhaul just about a month ago.

Googled up some answers, could be the O2 sensor, since the reading is wrong, fueling at the last mile could be incorrect, hence the exhaust temp. Tried to give the O2 sensor a shot, but we couldn't screw it out, and stopped before we actually broke something.

Will be leaving the car with my mech to do more tests like running the car without the knock sensor connected.

So i'm curious, has anyone experienced such thing before? Could it be dirty injectors and a dirty fuel filter which could be casuing such? Enlighten me pls experts and experienced ones.

Or any idea on an easier way (maybe there's a trick) to take out the O2 sensor?

xinghonh

1,000 RPM
Aug 25, 2006
happen once to me on my 4g93
they use sum kinda equipment to detect
and detected that my o2 sensor is faulty

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
nvr encounter it before...does it something to do wit your ecu ?or wiring?

BananaBoyz

Known Member
May 22, 2007
air flow...power tr...o2 sensor & knock sensor

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
too many factors bro
only way is to use a logger to findout

knock sensor problems will cause ur ecu to retard ur timing causing lost of power too , as for o2 sensor, o2 sensor only functions when u r cruizing or idling, other than that, it doesnt affect the tuning

FuGZ

1,000 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
Random
Visit site
that's right jin, too many till headaches, too many IFs. but what kind of logger are you talking about? the common machine used to diagnose with?

thing i read on the o2 sensor when i googled is, if the o2 sensor if farked, knock sensor tends to go crazy too, hence the check engine. but i'm not too sure how true that finding is, not sure if it will really trigger the knock sensor to go haywire.

clanz, i don't know to be honest. but i doubt so, would be the least suspected thing i guess.

Bnnboyz, guess those are the things to be checked 1 by 1, sorting out which one to check first is a headache.

raja, will do.

xing, if that's the case which i hope, i wish there was an easier way to take that o2 sensor out. manifold's got old rust like an oldie, stock e3 ma.

will take all advice into testing soon. it's sad driving an e3 having it so underpowered. thanks for the replies tho.

Last edited:

catan

Known Member
Jul 2, 2004
Png
Visit site
Try to check the knock sensor wire go into the ECU.... it might be came out or loose conncetion ...
last time my frend GTI also happen like this ....the check light came out but still can runing smooth .... after found the wire came out and fixed it ... now the car running more smooth .... and check engine light gone .....
can try i out ....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi and greeting to all the sifu and guru out there,

i'm planning to get a e30.. currently saw one with 1g gte twin turbo and another rb20det (so far away from me)

so, almost confirm to get the 1g.

but now i'm soooo worried... my question is, will this 1g goes underpower.. has insufficient power to drift? or do i need to spend alot more $$ to modify..
(beginner)

thanks for helping.. hope to hear opinion and advices from you guys..

or maybe anyone selling a drift-able e30...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience