Enquiry about Detailing Tools and Polishes

Lepakboy

Jul 7, 2004
Dear Sifu's

I need some advice as to where I can purchase some detailing tools.

I am currently in the market for a good rotary polisher and some Pads. I've been using the DAS-6 DA but find that even with Meguiars Foam Cutting Pads + #83 I still don't get the level of correction that I want.

Is there any store I can get such detailing supplies? I'm hoping that I can get a Dewalt or 3M machine
but I'll be happy with typical Meguiars stuff.

Please advice :)

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
If you're looking for ONE place that can supply you with the machine, backing plates and pads (including some of their own polishes), that would be Osren. Furthermore, over there, you can even test out the different type of rotary polisher including DeWalt, Makita and the Flex. I haven't heard of anybody here in Malaysia selling the 3M machine yet.

If you have a special interest in DeWalt brand, the new DeWalt DWP849X is coming to our shore very soon. I'm not sure about the pricing yet but I was told that it should be around it's predecessor's (DeWalt 849) price. I've tried a demo unit in one of my friends place and manage to polished a whole bonnet. I tell you, while I already have a Makita for quite a few years, I'm tempted to get this one as it's comparable in all terms. Durability and reliability is still unknown as it's still new in the market but.....well....it's a DeWalt...;)

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Makita is good as I have been using it.

For higher level of correction, I won't recommend a particular brand. That is personal preferences. I will however recommend the type fo thing that you need. Get a "rotary". DAs just aren't aggressive enough.

If that is not enough, pair it up with wool pad instead of foam cutting pad?

Cheers...

Lepakboy

Jul 7, 2004
Thank KrisMas, I never knew a store like that existed! The amount of wares is simply amazing and I will most definitely be visiting them soon.

Veloc, I originally bought the DA to look after my just re-sprayed 93 baby, but my frequent trips to Singapore have cause the car to receive the dreaded deep random scratches. I blame the stupid Johorian high way traffic. Lotsa trucks and lotsa stones.

Will look into the Makita. I would prefer the lightest one available and low RPM speed settings so I'm open to lots. Hoping to try some new polishes as well. Hear very good things about
Menzerna and can't wait to try it.

On a side note, what wax do you guys prefer using?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Haha... The world of detailing is always unexplored right ;)? Happy exploring!

But about the rotaries, don't go for the too extremely lightweight ones I would say. Mose china made ones are lightweight and light duty as well. Nothing wrong with that. I've never tried it myself but googles says that many experience faster overheating and less smooth spinning with china rotaries. Makita is fine :). You'll learn to get us to and get comfy with the weight!

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Thank KrisMas, I never knew a store like that existed! The amount of wares is simply amazing and I will most definitely be visiting them soon.

Veloc, I originally bought the DA to look after my just re-sprayed 93 baby, but my frequent trips to Singapore have cause the car to receive the dreaded deep random scratches. I blame the stupid Johorian high way traffic. Lotsa trucks and lotsa stones.

Will look into the Makita. I would prefer the lightest one available and low RPM speed settings so I'm open to lots. Hoping to try some new polishes as well. Hear very good things about
Menzerna and can't wait to try it.

On a side note, what wax do you guys prefer using?
Lightweight eh? Well, when you're in Osren, you'll be able to try the Flex L3403 VRG. Weighing at 2.2kg as oppose to Makita 3kg. But, if you do like the L3404 and decide to get one, I'd suggest you also have a look at Flex's newer lightweight polisher the FLEX PE14-2-150 before making the final decision. I've tried both, I can describe the 3404 as a direct drive machine and the PE14-2 is electronically regulated, i.e. the former is like driving a stick and the latter is like driving a pedal shift. Just be aware that these lightweight polishers can't handle continuous heavy use (as in heavy compounding with an 8" wool pad) as it'll heat up and their overheating safety mechanism with come in and shut the machine off. You won't be able to use it again until it safely cool down. I suggest this because you say you frequent Singapore. There's a dealer there whereby you can get it far cheaper than here in Malaysia. Though cheaper it's still in the RM1,700 range.

If you're looking for Menzerna, I know somebody over here that sells them at cheaper than market price....even cheaper than Singapore. It's a great polish and I especially like the Menz 85rd as a finishing polish and Menz 203S for mild correction.

Wax eh? What do you have in mind? Maybe I can give you some suggestion on that, but I'd need some info on what's your expectations.

Btw, what car and what color? OEM or respray? Your's is DAS-6 or the DAS-6 Pro? Buff Daddy maybe?

Lepakboy

Jul 7, 2004
Apologies for the slow reply guys. Work is a bitch lol ....

Thank you so much for all the advice. Most certainly I will have to visit that shop and check out their wares.

Good advice on the weight, will take that into consideration.

Krismas, I'm using the Das-6 Pro with a 6.5 inch adaptor and using 7 inch Meg Foam pads. Got them whilst i was in the UK from the website Clean Your Car - car care products UK.

Will try the rotary but I think I'm going to get a spare bumper to test on first. Need to replace my current car's anyway.

The car in question is a 93 Supra, but the paint is a respray. 2010 Honda Accord Black. Paint's very soft and i'm not too big a fan of it, but it'll last me at least 3 more years till I decide on another respray. Wax level I'm looking for is more to do with good beads. I don't expect it to be showroom shiny, but protection is the main concern. I'm contemplating Swisvax as there is a shop near my office that sells them.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
hmmm....I've tried Buff Daddy/DAS-6 and if it's DAS-6 Pro that you have, it's suppose to be a relatively more powerful and a great machine to own, congratulations. Here's a suggestion just in case you're having second thought on getting a rotary or just want to further utilise the DA's power.

You can try changing the backing plate to 5" and use 5.25" pads instead. This would be a more aggressive combination and would give you more cutting strength. There was this one occasion where we tried this combination (with a Lake Country Orange Pad & Meg's M105) and successfully removed 2500 grit sanding marks on a produa viva in 2 passes (this was at Osren also). Bring your machine along when you go to there, they have all the stuffs that I mentioned above (except for Meg's M105) and you can try them there. Look for Henry and tell him you're a member here and you can 'sell' my name if you want:biggrin:. Very helpful lots over there (unless when they're very busy with arranging stocks & supplies).

If your paint is as soft as you described, you should be able to tackle a lot of defects that way. But, saying that, nothing beats the speed and gloss a rotary can give. It's a good machine to have for those occasional severe correction, but, on soft paint, finishing without holograms with a DA is far easier.

Good beads doesn't really equate to good protection, but if you regularly and properly maintain your paint, then you shouldn't really have to worry much about that. Swissvax is good, but, just a suggestion again, try not to go for the entry level Onyx. Great looking wax, very nice beading but terrible durability. Not to mention it also attract and 'absorb' dirt (oh...did I mention that's it's way overpriced over here:smokin:). You should consider Optimum Car Wax as it can give you quite a nice beading (but still not as good as a carnauba like Swissvax) and not to mention it's also a spray on, easy to use wax. Though it's a little bit finicky on softer paint, especially black where you can see the slightest of clouding/streaking. I can give you a whole lot of suggestions here about wax but it's all about personal preferences, and trial and error. If you need any help on the details and options, just tell us yeah....a lot of sifus here can help you as quite a few of us here had tried various waxes/sealants.

oh....another...errr...suggestion. Try google G'zox....:evil::evil::evil:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

German Volvo tuner Heico Sportiv brought the goods to the 2007 SEMA Show with its S80 T6 HPC Concept. The car has been more than a year in the making and features a 7-layer "aluminum effect" paint job that looks absolutely stunning in person and pretty darn good in pics, too...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience