engine shaking

VectorX2

Known Member

VectorX2

Known Member
Aug 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
recently my engine keep shaking during idle when its is fully warmed up, when i turn on the air-cond the shakings stops... what could be the problem?

ragerunner

Known Member

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Sifu xtremeleo, speaking of idle speed, I'd like to ask: why do some cars rattle and loosen things in the car like the dashboard when their engine idle rpm drops slightly lower (say, less than 700/800) whereas other cars (in my experience, Proton Perdana V6 and Nissan Sentra B14, both stock) can let their idle rpm drop to 500 or even less but still do not rattle?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
how to alter campro idle speed?
dats the million dollar question sir, how indeed.. the thing is, i can introduce an external valve to tune the idle speed, but i think its unorthodox, lol.

Sifu xtremeleo, speaking of idle speed, I'd like to ask: why do some cars rattle and loosen things in the car like the dashboard when their engine idle rpm drops slightly lower (say, less than 700/800) whereas other cars (in my experience, Proton Perdana V6 and Nissan Sentra B14, both stock) can let their idle rpm drop to 500 or even less but still do not rattle?
iam no sifu sir, just an ordinary joe je.. back to the question, it depends on the dynamic stability of the engine, the placement of the engine mounts, power lap between the cylinders, etc. no two engines are the same, even if they use the same code. in ur case, u can go visit any proton service and ask them to increase ur idle revv, shud be easy for them. i highly suggest going to subang proton service center, behind the metro bus depot, near summit usj. they dont have too many cars there fyi, a good place nonetheless

VectorX2

Known Member

VectorX2

Known Member
Aug 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
haha, besides idle speed, what other things that could cause that, i also found that alot of white smoke coming out of my exhaust when it shakes...

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
hmm, dat needs checking sir..

is it smoke, or look like smoke? water vapour is also white-ish, fyi. pm for more detail, tq sir

ragerunner

Known Member

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thank you for explanation, xtremeleo :smile: Actually the Perdana and the Sentra are not the problem, these 2 cars don't rattle (the Perdana especially) even if their rpms drop to pretty low levels. My other two cars at home, a 1985 Toyota Corona with a 20v BT and a 1989 Honda Accord CA5 start to rattle when their engine rpms drop to less than 800. The Corona was like that even with the stock 4A carburetor engine. That made me wonder about the seemingly significant difference. At first I thought that it was due to engine age, ie. newer engine models are designed to be more rattle resistant, but the 20v BT is the same age as the GA16DE if not newer, no? The Perdana car design and engine is not new either. Got me thinking.. :hmmmm: But thank you for your explanation anyway.. :biggrin:

tks

500 RPM

tks

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
USJ
Visit site
if memory serves...v6 engines are more balanced than I4's, and if (again) my memory serves...doesn't the 6a12 idle at like 600~700rpm...? :hmmmm2:

VectorX2

Known Member

VectorX2

Known Member
Aug 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
here is what my problem is....

when my car came out of the factory without any modifications... after it's first service, it's idle speed originally 600 rpm increased to 900 rpm, automatically...

then after a year driving... once in a while the engine shakes during idle... can feel the vibration throughout the whole body... but after a while idling the vibration stops... or when the aircond compressor runs, the vibration stops too...

after i changed the air filter to drop in and changed the exhaust, with the catalyst converter removed, each time it shakes, white smoke comes out of the exhaust, the exhaust becomes clear as soon as the shaking stops...

recently when i changed installed adjustable cam pulleys and and adjust the cam timings, the shaking dun just come once a while anymore, it shakes every time i idles when the aircond compressor goes off....

i wonder is this actually normal, or sumting when wrong in my upgrading process? or the engine already have a problem from the begining?

tks

500 RPM

tks

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
USJ
Visit site
brand new BLM idling @ 600rpm? thats already a problem...in the ecu its set to 900rpm. I'd say its time to let your mechanic check this out...

VectorX2

Known Member

VectorX2

Known Member
Aug 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
brand new BLM idling @ 600rpm? thats already a problem...in the ecu its set to 900rpm. I'd say its time to let your mechanic check this out...
i am actually tired of sending it to proton service center already ==" everytime i get useless feedback from them... wasting my time driving to the center...

my fc even fluctuate before between 10km/l to 4km/l before... but they didn't give me an answer... but eventually the fuel consumption goes back to normal after certain period of time...

everytime i ask them sumting is dunno dunno.... and tell me all sort of rubbish... i am kinds fed up...

but yeah, now tyhe idling speed is 900rpm...

even alot of mechanics i go to they would say they dunno how to solve the problem because they can't access the ECU...

what kind of problem am i actually facing?

tks

500 RPM

tks

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
USJ
Visit site
well, you should have thought twice before modding & voiding your warranty then eh? :) Neither would I have continued modding when you know something funky's going on with your engine...

If u want, I've got the diagnostics computer i could plug in. PM me.

Cheers.

VectorX2

Known Member

VectorX2

Known Member
Aug 23, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
but the thing is, already diagnosed a few times but it doesn't show any problems...

what other things that could be causing the engine to shake other than idling speed?

could be insufficient fuel? or izzit that the ECU is obtaining wrong readings from the engine speed where the engine speed is less than 900 rpm but the ecu thinks it is running at 900 rpm?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
sounds like a sensor contact issue jer.. u need to connect it to a diagnostic tool sir, i suggest u take tks' offer

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Stronger, broader, faster.
A Golf was never stronger, broader or faster. It seems that the Golf GTI W12-650 comes directly from the racing course. A Golf that runs like the Pace Car of the 24 hours of Le Mans. Its name means: W12-Zylinder, 650 HP (477 KW with 6.000 rpm). A Showcar, not more, not less. Nevertheless it showcases the enormous potential the Golf has to offer.

Volkswagen Golf...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience