Engine Oil Seeping from Rear Main Seal

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
The pic below is the same engine in my pajero which is running timing chain. Notice the black piece where the cam cover meets the engine head. It got that seal at both end.
View attachment 576288
Below is the same engine in my waja which uses timing belt. At the bottom right view angle u can see 2 round black (one bigger than the other )seal/plug at the top portion of the engine. Its to be removed so that the camshaft can be held in place during timing belt replacement.
View attachment 576289
Do you mean this ? Since mine is transverse layout, by right it should be easy to spot, however there are too many shit hoses in between, so its hard to look at. Do all 4 bangers have this half moon seal and it it quite close to bell housing ?

Attachments

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Do you mean this ? Since mine is transverse layout, by right it should be easy to spot, however there are too many shit hoses in between, so its hard to look at. Do all 4 bangers have this half moon seal and it it quite close to bell housing ?
Difficult to say..its different from engine to engine.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
During early years of ownership of the Pajero i encounter the same thing. Mine was harder to trace as the engine is mounted longitudinally so and the rear end is soo close to the firewall thus searching for the leak is very difficult. After going few seal in few month i manage solve it once and for all after reading the instruction on the grey gasket maker tube.

The instruction says after reintalling the parts back, to tighten lightly and leave it for abt 2hrs before tightening it according to spec. I left it for 1/2 day. No more leak.
On the Pajero i only use the gasket maker at the half moon area. None is used along the valve cover gasket.

Most workshop dont wait as they need to get rid of the car ASAP so other car can come in for repair. The gasket maker if not let to set will be practically useless. Notice when we removes some engine parts which uses this grey gasket maker that some of the grey thing falls of easily. Some require scrapping.
While the gasket maker is still fresh, over tighten the bolt will squeeze them out......lol

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Ok noted. However is it a compulsory design where this half moon seal is fitted on most of conventional piston engines ?
nope, some just made a curve on the valve cover and made the valve gasket to match curve to eliminate the need for that half moon seal.

i doubt your modern engine will used the half moon seal. It might not even have a valve cover gasket. European engine sometimes just used gasket maker on the valvr cover.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
nope, some just made a curve on the valve cover and made the valve gasket to match curve to eliminate the need for that half moon seal.

i doubt your modern engine will used the half moon seal. It might not even have a valve cover gasket. European engine sometimes just used gasket maker on the valvr cover.
Thats what i am suspecting, no such half moon seal for this engine. Another good thing i noticed, after i repaired the oil separator gasket, there's no oil stain on the ground even after parked the cars for 4 days. Last time used to have few drops of it. Guess the oil separator leak was quite serious back then. So right now i need to keep an eye out on the leaking from top of the bell housing. Wondering are there any more oil passage or hoses up there.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
New finding guys, i spotted oil leakage seem to be originate from a so called Vacuum pump around engine head. The pipe is filthy and covered with fresh oil and it travels down to bellhousing area, i have yet to put the car to the mechanic to take a close look as it was buried deep behind lots of hoses and intake pipe.

By the way, what's the vacuum pump for since it isn't engine oil pump?

Thanks,
Ken

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Another GTR crashes on Jalan Ampang. This time, it's said to be a Bangladeshi car jockey who probably thought the GTR's really fail proof. Sad to say, it's not exactly dummy...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience