Engine Oil Seeping from Rear Main Seal

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Does Volvo use Ford parts? I know my Chery GB is Renault......lol
My Volvo S60 II uses similar engine to Ford Kuga 1.6T Ecoboost and Ford Fiesta ST Ecoboost plus with Ford Powershift Wet Clutch GB. As far as i traced, most components are shared, just that buying from Volvo vs buying from Ford, the prices are damn big difference.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
V

Volvo was previously owned by Ford right? If not mistaken, that powertrain was lifted off Ford's Ecoboost
Exactly, Ford owned Volvo for a while until Geely took over. In terms of powertrain, its shared from Ford Ecoboost family from 1.6T to 2.0T. Only some Swedish model, 2.5T uses 5 cylinders from Volvo.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My Volvo S60 II uses similar engine to Ford Kuga 1.6T Ecoboost and Ford Fiesta ST Ecoboost plus with Ford Powershift Wet Clutch GB. As far as i traced, most components are shared, just that buying from Volvo vs buying from Ford, the prices are damn big difference.
Then it makes sense, and I would buy from ford then. However my Hyundai share parts with Kia but both are just as expensive, or the dealers making a fast buck.....lol
Make sense by sharing parts to cost down. Now I remember my daughter mention was it for Lambo or Porsche bought parts from Audi.....

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Then it makes sense, and I would buy from ford then. However my Hyundai share parts with Kia but both are just as expensive, or the dealers making a fast buck.....lol
Make sense by sharing parts to cost down. Now I remember my daughter mention was it for Lambo or Porsche bought parts from Audi.....
However i need to fully understand the engine design, get another Fiesta ST or Kuga ST side by side with my V and compare them together. Then only that we can physically inspect to see what parts can i get from Ford. So far the only things i bought using Ford parts are oil filters and spark plugs. For example, Ford OEM spark plugs cost me MYR50 per piece, where as Volvo OEM cost me MYR100 per piece. That's twice the amount for buying the samething.

Lambo, Porsche and Audi all owned by VW.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
However i need to fully understand the engine design, get another Fiesta ST or Kuga ST side by side with my V and compare them together. Then only that we can physically inspect to see what parts can i get from Ford. So far the only things i bought using Ford parts are oil filters and spark plugs. For example, Ford OEM spark plugs cost me MYR50 per piece, where as Volvo OEM cost me MYR100 per piece. That's twice the amount for buying the samething.

Lambo, Porsche and Audi all owned by VW.
What about part number, differ?

Yup, VW owns many other makes......lol

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Hi Folks,

At least now the oil trap gasket is well sealed. No new oil seeping out from the area, however, we are still seeing a little oil seeping from the bell housing. That means the rear main seal job done by Volvo 3 years ago is sloppy and i have to pay to get it properly done. Since the seep is very slow, is there any issue if i leave it until i need to change my clutch ? I am not going to pay over thousand bucks just to change a seal, might as well as do it together with clutch change or bigger job.

Need some advise.

Thanks,
Ken

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Hi Folks,

At least now the oil trap gasket is well sealed. No new oil seeping out from the area, however, we are still seeing a little oil seeping from the bell housing. That means the rear main seal job done by Volvo 3 years ago is sloppy and i have to pay to get it properly done. Since the seep is very slow, is there any issue if i leave it until i need to change my clutch ? I am not going to pay over thousand bucks just to change a seal, might as well as do it together with clutch change or bigger job.

Need some advise.

Thanks,
Ken
If the amt is minimal then no harm in doing the repair later so u can bundle it with whatever due repair which will add more cost. Kinda make paying for the labour worth it. Just need to keep track of the oil level.

BTW, could it be old oil residue from the catch can leak which is accumulated in the bell housing?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I assumed you asked about the spark plugs. Part number isn’t the same but they plug right in.
Spark plugs actually no need original. If under car brands also made by Spark plug manufacturer under OEM. I change plugs between brands all the time. Bosch, NGK and Denso. My chery original were Valeo, 3 electrode type, switch to NGK platinum.....

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
If the amt is minimal then no harm in doing the repair later so u can bundle it with whatever due repair which will add more cost. Kinda make paying for the labour worth it. Just need to keep track of the oil level.

BTW, could it be old oil residue from the catch can leak which is accumulated in the bell housing?
It could be, due to the seeping direction is moving from top of the bell housing to the bottom. If my knowledge is correct, RMS leak usually directly coming out at the bottom of the bell housing and it will flood the entire bottom area.

In my case the oil leak was from way above and near the catch can.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Spark plugs actually no need original. If under car brands also made by Spark plug manufacturer under OEM. I change plugs between brands all the time. Bosch, NGK and Denso. My chery original were Valeo, 3 electrode type, switch to NGK platinum.....
Well for the fun of it, I just checked from both stockist, one is Ford appointed and the other one is Volvo official stockist, just as i expected, it uber expensive to any "Volvo" parts even though sharing with Ford.

parakey

1,000 RPM

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Well for the fun of it, I just checked from both stockist, one is Ford appointed and the other one is Volvo official stockist, just as i expected, it uber expensive to any "Volvo" parts even though sharing with Ford.
In other words, it's getting cheaper for you :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,
as i was returning home last nite, suddenly there was a "clunk-clunk" sound continuously the higher i rev the higher the sound become & also my steering becomes heavy.......i tot farked man, not my gearbox again........or worst timing belt putus........so then i searched for the problem & sound....finally found it....my crank pulley was wobbling....& the screw attached to it (the 1 need to open when changing the auxilary belts & timing belt) was cracked.........

so wat could the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience