Engine Oil Consumption

KevMarea

Aug 5, 2004
Dear sifus,

I really need some advice on what to do here. I'm currently driving a 1.5 Wira 2001, currently has done 86,000km. Problem is that the engine seems to be consuming engine oil. My last service is only like 3,500km and the level from the dip stick has shown a drop of half level i.e. Original=3/4 of dip stick; Now = 1/4 of Dip Stick. My exhaust doesn't show any smoke to indicate oil consumption even if the engine was revved at stationary (funny though).

My mechanic told me to do a top overhaul, suspecting the piston rings etc. is giving problem already and rough cost is like RM800!! Besides the piston rings, is there any component that I should be aware off that could contribute to this problem? Should I spend such money on this job or do a port-polish instead at the same time?

Thanks.

Kev

NiCkY7

500 RPM
Dec 27, 2003
Visit site
did u feel ur car underpower or bad FC? if yes, then go for overhaul...

if not, just buy some cheap mineral oil and top up lo... :P

:D

btw, wat oil u using?

KCi

Jan 2, 2004
Hi Kev,

Maybe this will cheer you up little bit more, I'm driving the same Wira released batch as your which is 2001 and the same problems as your too. No even just you and me, there are a lot more of victims with same 2001 batch Wira. This one I can 100% confirmed since I have few friends driving the same 2001 batch as mine. Most of their cars is consuming engine oil. Who to blame on this? You should know better than me. If you really don't know, I can say it once more time and this one will be very LOUD and CLEAR and I will happily dedicated this to

PROTON! YOU ARE THE CHAMPION

Nothing much we can do about it. Just opt for top overhaul but please go for better quality piston ring and valves set. Hopefully this can shed some light on you.

KevMarea

Aug 5, 2004
xtorm,
If i were to change the block, I would never know the engine condition before and in the end i might have to risk putting in more $ to fix it, wouldn't it?

Nicky,
Of late, I noticed that one tank mileage has dropped from 430km to about 400km only. I just changed to Q8 in my last service.....now feeling it being 'burned' with the $ i've spent on the oil. :( Considering of changing it back to Semi-Syn or mineral but gotta see if i'm gonna do the overhaul 1st or not.

KCi,
Geezz man, it's the 'P' again? Looks like not much of a choice for me now, gotta do the top overhaul already. By the way, have you heard about one shop in Puchong which sells genuine Proton stuffs? A fren of mine bought the timing belt from them, stating its original Mitsubishi-Proton made in Jepun punya. Just wondering if I should go there to get the set of piston rings and valve sets like you've mentioned?

xtorm

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2003
go to a good workshop then u will b fine, i did mine for rm1k in klang, i open up the engine oil cap, the internal parts still shiny like new...n its a japan engine.

i spend nearly 1k trying to fix my problem, do all the oil sealed n tis n tat...but didnt do the piston ring n top overhaul cos no sign of white smoke n sparkplug r nice n clean. but yet the oil is gone (the measuring stick canot touch oil anymore) around 3k.....end up changing the engine. up to ulah....here in klang lots of the workshop dun do overhaul anymore, cos they say it wil take more time n more xpensive

KevMarea

Aug 5, 2004
Ic ic....thanks for the advice xtorm. I'll try to get a quote from my mechanic 1st and see what happens.

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
get a mech check your oil seal...could be internal leakage

KCi

Jan 2, 2004
Hi Kev,

To further confirm whether your engine is consuming engine oil due to worn piston rings and valve set, please do a compression test and you will get a better picture from it. I did mine and it is confirmed due to worn internal parts. This is better off from guessing which one is which.

KevMarea

Aug 5, 2004
xtorm,
Dun worry lar brader, I didn't take it as though u're lecturing me, so no worries yah! ;) Dat's y in my first post i was also wondering if it was actually worth the money to spend like RM800 just to do the top overhaul or is there any better alternatives. Budget constraints ler.....never expected this to happen.

g88,
Which oil seal is this ah? This is not the little seal which they put in the nut that they loosen to release the oil when doing oil change right? Sorry ah......a little bit blur blur here.

KCi,
Do they use any equipment to do this compression test? Any workshop which you could recommend?

lix

Known Member
Nov 5, 2004
Visit site
RM 800 for a top overhaul sound little expensive. Last time I did on my wira 1.5 only cost me 600 nia..... (parts RM 200 and labour 400).I bought the parts at my friend spare parts shop and ask my mech to fix it for me (in Banting). FYI Top overhaul does not include changing piston ring. The service just covered change new head gasket, change valve seal (make sure is made by silicon, not rubber), de-carbonise both the valves and the cylinder head, change all the cylinder oil seals and re-seat the valve angle. It took full 20 hour labour to complete the job. But if the engine condition is bad and need to change the piston rings as well.

NiCkY7

500 RPM
Dec 27, 2003
Visit site
kev,

instead of overhaul, or check this and that... try some "thicker" oil la...

then can save ur $$$ awhile... :D

my car also makan a bit engine oil, but dun care la, just top up when reach half point at the dipstick, cause the car are in better performance than before... :lol:

:P

KevMarea

Aug 5, 2004
Thanks for the input, lix! I'm gonna take the decision of using a thicker oil first and see if it still consumes. By the way, was yur car bad in the sense u could see the white smoke from yur exhaust before u did the top overhaul?

Nicky, I'm taking yur advice first. Most of the people i talk with has given this suggestion thus far. Gonna try putting in 15-40 in my next service and see what happens. Now just top up with whatever that's remaining from my engine oil bottle 1st then wait till the level dip low again before doing my service. ;)

xtorm

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2003
hmmmmmmm i think mayb with 20-50?

if u decide to change n nearby klang, i can guide u to the workshop i mention, damn nice customer service n cheap price, even my friend cant get me tat price, n ask other shops al say rm1k++

i was taken there by yong, who has done his 4g91 there n satisfied by it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

minat tengok pompuan saja kat f1 sepang,i beli ticket tapi tak tengok lama selepas f1 start,sebaliknya jalan2 tengok pompuan dan take pic with them...gf dah cemburu muka marah2 tengok i yang suka2 take pic banyak2 sama pompuan2 lain..hahaha..itulah pengalaman f1 2011 saya kat sepang tahun ni...support malaysia motor sport ma! :adore:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience