Driven: Volkswagen Scirocco 1.4 TSI

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Do you remember the first time you had to meet your in-laws? Highly likely you were jittery, and put on your best clothes, shoes, watch, slicked your hair back; generally, made yourself more presentable than usual. And you know why you went through all that effort – because first impressions count. And boy does the Scirocco create quite an impression.

The Scirocco has been launched for a year now, but this is one unit that we’ve been meaning to get our hands on. Priced at RM188,888 this ‘Roc is the younger brother of the RM243,888 two-litre unit, and apart from some minor exterior changes, retains all the good looks. Power comes from the award winning 1.4-liter TSI twincharged engine, making 160PS and 240Nm – down 50PS and 40Nm from the 2.0 Sport model. These numbers translate to a zerotohundred time of 8.0secs; 1.1secs slower than the Sport, but still impressive for a very small engine.

Looks great from the front...

Looks great on the rump as well.

Under the skin, there are some differences that sets the 1.4 TSI apart from the Sport; a dry-clutch 7-speed DSG box compared to a wet-clutch 6-speed DSG, RCD310 replacing the RCD510, Merlin fabric against Vienna leather, 17 inch sport rims to the 18s, and Adaptive Chassis Control (ACC; that allows you to swap between Normal, Comfort, or Sport suspension settings) on the Scirocco Sport. To clarify; the Roc doesn’t feel incomplete without ACC, considering the 1.4 TSI engine lacks the performance of the Sport model, and handling remained very good.

1.4 twincharged unit, producing 160PS and 240Nm.

The inside is typical Volkswagen fare: neat and intuitive and with great build quality. The Scirocco is a strict 2+2 sports coupe and has a total of four seats. Whilst there is decent leg-room in the rear, sitting position is upright and can become uncomfortable during long distance driving. There is also a severe lack of storage space in here – the centre arm-rest/console can hold a set of keys and a thumb drive; everything else had to be stored in the glove box. Rear visibility is passable, but when you have passengers in both the rear seats, visibility is reduced by 50%.

Sports steering is aesthetically pleasing; flattened at the bottom.

When you drive the Scirocco is when things start getting better. The engine is smooth, and pulls keenly through the range. While there isn’t outright speed, the Scirocco had sufficient pace for everyday use. Suspension is stiff, and together with a lowered ride height, provides a supple, planted ride. There is some body roll, so corners have to be attacked with some measure, though the grippy rubber helps to restore confidence. Brakes have plenty of bite, providing plenty of stopping power; but this does take a little while to get used to.

Looks fast, even when moving slow.

I had the opportunity to take the Scirocco up some twisty roads, and I must say that I genuinely had fun blasting up and down the hilly roads. I was also at the Blue Jackets charity event last Sunday, and followed the convoy towards Sepang and I am happy to report that the Scirocco was able to keep up with the slew of exotics (given that there was a fair amount of traffic on the highways as well). Hitting speeds of up to 180km/h is fairly simple. It is only past this that the engine struggles to accelerate further. Although top speed is rated at 218km/h, this can be achieved only when given enough tarmac.

Doesn't look too shabby in the company of greats.

Given my heavy right foot, fuel consumption was decent – a full tank of 55 litres lasted me 400km before the refuel light came on. This translates to about 8.3km/litre and is actually slightly better than my own Japanese sedan. I am fairly confident that when driven normally, mileage can be extended to 500km, if not more.

One car I don't mind getting used to...

Overall, I really enjoyed driving the Scirocco. While it doesn’t move as fast as it looks, it is undeniable that this is an incredibly beautiful looking car. It gets attention wherever it is; I know I enjoyed looking out my window in the morning; neighbours out for their morning jog just looking at the ‘Roc parked in front of my house. Priced at about RM60,000 cheaper than the two-litre Scirocco Sport, the TSI model offers all the visual presence, along with toned amount of substance. Just about the perfect package, if you ask me.

Time to go downhill!

The fun is about to begin.

Very clean profile.

Smooth lines caress the Scirocco.

Bi-xenons look gorgeous here.

Ran into an Audi A1; surprisingly, looks very similar to the Scirocco, and uses the same mill too! Which do you prefer?

Scirocco 1.4 TSI
Zerotohundred: 8.0secs
Top Speed: 220km/h (tested)
Engine: 1.4L twincharged 4-cylinder, direct injection
Power: 160PS / 5800 rpm
Torque: 240Nm / 1500 - 4500 rpm
Weight: 1360kg (kerb weight)
Fuel Economy: 6.3L / 100km (combined, claimed)
Wheels: 7J x 17”
Tyres: 225/45 R17
Price: RM188,888

Attachments

Last edited:

anType

Known Member
Nov 14, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
I really love the looks of the car. It's one of those humble, yet eye-catching ones. Quite a few supercar owners suggest this little bugger as a car that can catch up with big engined convoys, so you actually proved them right! If you have the 2.0L version, you could easily be somewhere in the middle of the convoy, I guess.

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
This really is a fantastic looking machine, Alex. From far, people who notice the 'Roc creeping up tend to get out of the way. And yes! I was able to (just) keep up with the convoy... in fact, I wasn't even last (although one car did get lost on the way...).

Still, at the end of the day... there is no replacement for displacement.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
sleek looking car....great performance too....2 thumbs up!

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yes, I believe this is the 1.4 SI version. The Scirocco Sport should have a "2.0 TSI" badge on its rear whilst the 1.4 only has the "TSI" badge. The one you've posted seems to have been kitted as well. Looks good...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Key stake holders and industry players got together this morning at the GE-NAZA Electric Vehicle Experience, which was hosted by both General Electric (GE) as well as NAZA Group of Companies.

<!--more-->The event, part of GE’s collaboration with the NAZA Group of Companies (NAZA), was officially launched by Yang Berhormat Dato’ Sri Peter Chin Fah Kui, Minister of Energy...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience