Drive a Honda Civic Eg/EK Must Read!

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Hi all...
Hope this scares'' you so that you will take preventive action before it happens to your ECU.
If you drive a civic EG or EK most possible you have a ECU in your car with the code P27, 28, P08, or P30.

I have repaired about 10 honda civic ecu with this type of problem..
This write up is on a ecu P30 which I had to repair for a friend's workshop customer's car... last saturday nite...

Lucky it was detected before any major mishap occured... A capacitor (C27) in the ecu leaked and cause a short burning a hole in the ecu..

Pls see attached picture for clearer info and take action on yours.... TQ and do thank me too.:biggrin:

Attachments

Last edited:

freeman1314

Known Member
Oct 7, 2008
When this happends, what are the symptoms in terms of engine running or wiring?(Beside chacking the circuit board)
It's not easy to remove the ecu to check.

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Freeman....
The trouble is...there maybe no symptom till it is too late..
Most common...check engine cannot off, cannot start and worst case suddenly burning smell in the car- as 1 friend share his experience....
Some symptom can be intermittent...

It is really not difficult to remove the ecu...anyway as I advise, just check. Tell tell sign on the ecu pcb will be brown patches near the capacitors... might be 1 or some....Tq

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
tq for share bro!!!
NP...click lah the "Thanks" box...

Anyway most important is you do something or take action.
Last I heard... P08 cost RM350
P30 cost RM650

Just remember this morning.... ESPECIALLY those with HONDATA should take action!!!
After investing money in the std ecu to upgrade it with hondata S300, if you board burn up....
~RM2500 will be up in smoke.....

The only theory now why the caps leak is.... too many years has gone by...
our climate here also +++. TQ

camp

Known Member
Mar 22, 2006
Hi all...
Hope this scares'' you so that you will take preventive action before it happens to your ECU.
If you drive a civic EG or EK most possible you have a ECU in your car with the code P27, 28, P08, or P30.

I have repaired about 10 honda civic ecu with this type of problem..
This write up is on a ecu P30 which I had to repair for a friend's workshop customer's car... last saturday nite...

Lucky it was detected before any major mishap occured... A capacitor (C27) in the ecu leaked and cause a short burning a hole in the ecu..

Pls see attached picture for clearer info and take action on yours.... TQ and do thank me too.:biggrin:
Bro, how much it will cost me to replace all this capacitor inclusive labour, fyi i drove yr 99 civic..

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Camp....
99 civic but if never modify to EG wiring & ecu then maybe still OK...
OBD2a/b less of these big caps....mostly Surface mount chips and aluminium caps...

Anyway....
DIY lah.....- Max RM5-7

If send to TV/Radio shop....
Caps abt Rm0.50--Rm1.00... let's say 7 x Rm1= RM7...
Labour charge... RM50
Total RM60~70 would be the range in i guess...

But if tebabooo (spoilt) then only want to repair...min RM250(half of ecu price)..TQ

camp

Known Member
Mar 22, 2006
E-tech...
My civic no mod done, still standard...anyway good info, i think my DIY skill in electronic is not that good, scard to spoil the ecu...

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
great stuff. thanks for sharing. too bad u are way to far from me =(
Thanks..
However still need to change... tv/repairman also canlah as long
as they replace with the correct parts...

CAUTION ALL.
All replaced caps must be rate 105c... 85c cannot hor... TQ

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Guys...
this picture is the ecu that smoked after a customer balik kampung..was a P27
When reach his destination he smelled like something burning..
Finally he traced it to the ecu...
10 cents coin is for your reference of the hole size....TQ

Last edited:

pencalat

500 RPM
Nov 20, 2006
JB
just wishin to get s300 end of this year..... after reading this thread..... use back my vafc lor....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Selamat hari raya
after a long break celebration, its quite an adjustment back to the norms, my buddy whom a car crazy & loves cars, expressed his intention of learning to maintaining his own white ride & pick up some DIY car detailing tricks of the trade

in the course of meeting, we inspects his ride, paint condition - (2 months old, only wash twice by the service center as he knew the tragic ending of prolong road side car wash)...after following my blogs for months, he is well informed &...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience