Dreaded Steering Wheel Vibrations at High Speed

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

I have been pursuing a dreaded steering wheel vibrations on faster than average speed (85 ++ km/h). My rims setup for the BMW E46 1JZ is BMW OEM 166 style but its a good replica from Taiwan, owner revealed that he used that rim for about 150k kms without any damages. Tire spec is 225/45/17, Rovelo Sport A1 (was on tight budget or all 4 tires so this was recommended by some BMW guys riding on 328i and Mercedes A250). Rim spec is 17 x 8.5J x ET12. I also installed some big ass disc brake at the front which also pushes the wheel further out from the wheel hub. Now the wheels are perfectly aligned with the car body.

Full understood these tyres are not the best brand around so naturally i requested my tyre guy to perform on wheel balancing.

Prior to changing to this tyre, my used rims were fitted with Membat Passion made in Spain and the tyres were defective to begin with so steering wheel vibrates at high speed. What makes me even frustrated now is even with on wheel balancing, the steering wheel still vibrating at high speed but the speed shift higher to 100 ++ and will go away at much faster speed. Besides steering wheel, i also detected slight vibration at the car seats.

My tyre man blamed it on the rear tyre, and proposed to perform on wheel balancing at rear tyre, that could eliminate all vibration issue. Before i agree to do so, need to check with ZTH forumers what's your take on this ?

Thanks,
Ken

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Wobble at speed imho is : wheel bearing, tyre, bent rims and in some cases driveshaft. Have you had these checked?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Wobble at speed imho is : wheel bearing, tyre, bent rims and in some cases driveshaft. Have you had these checked?
Dear Izso,

1.) Wheel bearing does not make any noises, no wobble when grab it 9 and 3 o'clock and wiggle it, no free play, so should be fine.
2.) Tyres are manufactured last year Nov, improves the vibrations but still not perfect, the vibrations will go away at much higher speed.
3.) Rims are all fine, round as Nicki Minaj's fake buns.
4.) Driveshaft, now this one is a big question, my long shaft is using stock 1JZ shaft and join with BMW rear shaft. Modder claims that its balanced. The rear differential are all stocks with stock 318ci short shaft. If mechanic recommended to perform on wheel balancing on rear wheels, that will balance the whole drive shaft too ? By theory it should improve the whole situation?

Thanks,
Ken

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Dear Izso,

1.) Wheel bearing does not make any noises, no wobble when grab it 9 and 3 o'clock and wiggle it, no free play, so should be fine.
2.) Tyres are manufactured last year Nov, improves the vibrations but still not perfect, the vibrations will go away at much higher speed.
3.) Rims are all fine, round as Nicki Minaj's fake buns.
4.) Driveshaft, now this one is a big question, my long shaft is using stock 1JZ shaft and join with BMW rear shaft. Modder claims that its balanced. The rear differential are all stocks with stock 318ci short shaft. If mechanic recommended to perform on wheel balancing on rear wheels, that will balance the whole drive shaft too ? By theory it should improve the whole situation?

Thanks,
Ken
Yeah, on-wheel should solve the shaft issue too. I dunno - I'm thinking there has to be a reason why it's wobbling. So to "fix it" with a wheel balance is kinda cheating. Haha

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Yeah, on-wheel should solve the shaft issue too. I dunno - I'm thinking there has to be a reason why it's wobbling. So to "fix it" with a wheel balance is kinda cheating. Haha
Does too much wheel offset can cause vibration ? And also my front disc rotor is floating type which 2.5' hub center hub that pushes that wheel further out from the knuckle. Rear wheel hub is stock diameter. I am actually suspecting the front of the car is now same, if not slightly wider than rear. Can that inbalance cause wheel vibrations ?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Very long time ago when i was still young with no white hair i encounter steering wheel vibration with my BLM. Initially it happened betwee 80-90 so i did on wheel ballancing.

Just as i thought its solved it happened again, this time above 120kmh. Did on wheel again but its still there. Was very annoyed coz it happen at my cruising speed.

A friend told me to have ballancing done by a shop in Rahang N9. Was skeptical as 2 shop already tried but i gave it a shot. The machine they used is just to spin the wheel with not display whatsoever. What the tech did is placed his palm on the bumper,fender, door to feel the vibration. Was still skeptical when i took the car back but surprised that it solved my problem

Not sure if the shop is still operating. Its in place they called Rahang lama, N9. If i recalled correctly people called the shop Ah Cheng or Ah Ching. Want to go on weekend better comes very early in the morning. They only do ballancing and allignment.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Very long time ago when i was still young with no white hair i encounter steering wheel vibration with my BLM. Initially it happened betwee 80-90 so i did on wheel ballancing.

Just as i thought its solved it happened again, this time above 120kmh. Did on wheel again but its still there. Was very annoyed coz it happen at my cruising speed.

A friend told me to have ballancing done by a shop in Rahang N9. Was skeptical as 2 shop already tried but i gave it a shot. The machine they used is just to spin the wheel with not display whatsoever. What the tech did is placed his palm on the bumper,fender, door to feel the vibration. Was still skeptical when i took the car back but surprised that it solved my problem

Not sure if the shop is still operating. Its in place they called Rahang lama, N9. If i recalled correctly people called the shop Ah Cheng or Ah Ching. Want to go on weekend better comes very early in the morning. They only do ballancing and allignment.
My tyre guy used the same technique (feel the vibration) and with the same machine as well. He is very good at this kind of job but properly it might caused by something else. I am suspecting my disc rotor is warped again, its a huge 341 mm disc rotor with large brake pad, properly a slight warp can cause vibrations like this. Not to mention i also realize only at certain speed, braking can cause the similar vibration to steering.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
My tyre guy used the same technique (feel the vibration) and with the same machine as well. He is very good at this kind of job but properly it might caused by something else. I am suspecting my disc rotor is warped again, its a huge 341 mm disc rotor with large brake pad, properly a slight warp can cause vibrations like this. Not to mention i also realize only at certain speed, braking can cause the similar vibration to steering.
check rotor condition, no time waste for safety at speed.
My wira front rotor warp, steering feel vibrate during braking.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Does too much wheel offset can cause vibration ? And also my front disc rotor is floating type which 2.5' hub center hub that pushes that wheel further out from the knuckle. Rear wheel hub is stock diameter. I am actually suspecting the front of the car is now same, if not slightly wider than rear. Can that inbalance cause wheel vibrations ?
You are using spacer hub? Does it have a center ring?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Dear All,

I have been pursuing a dreaded steering wheel vibrations on faster than average speed (85 ++ km/h). My rims setup for the BMW E46 1JZ is BMW OEM 166 style but its a good replica from Taiwan, owner revealed that he used that rim for about 150k kms without any damages. Tire spec is 225/45/17, Rovelo Sport A1 (was on tight budget or all 4 tires so this was recommended by some BMW guys riding on 328i and Mercedes A250). Rim spec is 17 x 8.5J x ET12. I also installed some big ass disc brake at the front which also pushes the wheel further out from the wheel hub. Now the wheels are perfectly aligned with the car body.

Full understood these tyres are not the best brand around so naturally i requested my tyre guy to perform on wheel balancing.

Prior to changing to this tyre, my used rims were fitted with Membat Passion made in Spain and the tyres were defective to begin with so steering wheel vibrates at high speed. What makes me even frustrated now is even with on wheel balancing, the steering wheel still vibrating at high speed but the speed shift higher to 100 ++ and will go away at much faster speed. Besides steering wheel, i also detected slight vibration at the car seats.

My tyre man blamed it on the rear tyre, and proposed to perform on wheel balancing at rear tyre, that could eliminate all vibration issue. Before i agree to do so, need to check with ZTH forumers what's your take on this ?

Thanks,
Ken
Steering vibrate then front wheel off balance. Car body vibrate the is rear wheels off balance, probably car seat too......lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Proper on-wheel balancing should solve the issue. The problem is, you need to mark the fitting position so that next time when need to remove the wheels, they can be installed back at the exact same positioning again to maintain the balance. My Mark X always do on-wheel balancing for front wheels but then one time I forgot to mark the positioning when doing suspension replacements, hence when wheels put back, got vibration again. So no choice but to do another on-wheel balancing. Another thing is this type of balancing is much more precise but that means if just a little of the weights somehow got displaced then you'd feel vibration again, so its more sensitive.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Proper on-wheel balancing should solve the issue. The problem is, you need to mark the fitting position so that next time when need to remove the wheels, they can be installed back at the exact same positioning again to maintain the balance. My Mark X always do on-wheel balancing for front wheels but then one time I forgot to mark the positioning when doing suspension replacements, hence when wheels put back, got vibration again. So no choice but to do another on-wheel balancing. Another thing is this type of balancing is much more precise but that means if just a little of the weights somehow got displaced then you'd feel vibration again, so its more sensitive.
I used to have that problem, even with on wheel balancing, sometimes even got mark still will vibrate. I have now fitted center cones and using off wheel balancing and never had vibration for many years already. Now also no need do marking.......lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I used to have that problem, even with on wheel balancing, sometimes even got mark still will vibrate. I have now fitted center cones and using off wheel balancing and never had vibration for many years already. Now also no need do marking.......lol
Center cones I use already

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
check rotor condition, no time waste for safety at speed.
My wira front rotor warp, steering feel vibrate during braking.
It was skimmed 3 weeks ago, probably the job isn't perfect.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My friend car have been stolen at a workshopl @ kamunting....

No. Plate : PAX 4958

Owner Name : Adib

No H/P : 0173000953

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience