DIY to seal tyre puncture

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Have been a long time already, wanted to try DIY sealing a tyre puncture with off the rack tyre repair kit, so recently went hunting for one. There are many at the supermarket, hypermarket going at RM11 to 15 for the kit with 3 to 5 seals.
What put me off was what if I finish the seals do I need to buy another kit as I could not find any seals only on sale. Then last week went to ACE hardware and found them selling the seals. 5pcs for RM8 if not mistaken.
So since is only a trial DIY, I went for the cheapest and that was from Mr. DIY. Kit with 3 seals only but priced at RM6 only.

Tear off plastic for clearer picture

After purchase, had to find punctured tyre or any donor...hahhahaha

Then last week mechanic came over to take my car for repairs. He mentioned his rear tyre kena puncture, so found my donor.....lol :biggrin:

After an hour already like this

Remove tyre to find leak, but found leaking hole only. Something pierce through and dropped off, no wonder the leak was so fast because left a hole only. If a nail have gone through and stuck there the leak will be much slower

First use the file tool. Insert into hole and push in and pull out to clean the hole as well as to make it slightly larger so that can insert the seal

Next insert the seal through the gap of the other tool

This one came with extra glue solvent so just apply some. I think no need as the seal itself have very sticky and gooey stuff attached to it

Now time to insert the seal. This part a bit tough, need to apply more pressure to insert the sticky seal through the small hole. The main thing is to pump up the deflated tyres so it becomes more solid then easier to insert the seal in. In this picture the tyre do not have enough air pressure, as you can see the tyre surface bending inwards as I apply more pressure, therefore this makes it difficult to insert the seal

In this picture I have pumped in more air therefore the tyre surface is more solid and easier to insert the seal in

Insert about 2/3 of the seal in, then after that rapidly pull the tool straight out leaving only the seal intact

Cut off excess seal with a sharp blade and you are done

Remember to check the air pressure after this.
Thanks for viewing.....:driver:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Cool. Ain't nobody got time for that.

RM7 to pay my local shop to do it. So its double? triple? Since you get 3 patches for RM7

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Nice DIY Bro Vr2turbo. Although there are spare tyre in cars, and plenty of tyre shops to fix puncture tyres.....I would still think the product is useful.......for just-in-case moments: like spare tyre deflated due to leak, no footpump, all tyre shop close.....and I am stuck in the middle of nowhere and have to be somewhere...

How is the repair patch holding up?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
In the picture. Is it uncle VR hand or donor hand??? Hahaha
DIY loh, so is my hand......lol:rofl:

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Cool. Ain't nobody got time for that.

RM7 to pay my local shop to do it. So its double? triple? Since you get 3 patches for RM7
For the DIY kaki loh.....hhahahhaha:rofl:

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

your seal looks humongous @x@
After cut off okay mah!.....

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Nice DIY Bro Vr2turbo. Although there are spare tyre in cars, and plenty of tyre shops to fix puncture tyres.....I would still think the product is useful.......for just-in-case moments: like spare tyre deflated due to leak, no footpump, all tyre shop close.....and I am stuck in the middle of nowhere and have to be somewhere...

How is the repair patch holding up?
So far okay....:driver:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Bro VR2Turbo bro now can be puncture tyre mender besides than tyre sifu at ZTH....

hazziq

Dec 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
had the same thing in my car,
cause i didnt have a spare tyre that can fit my car,
its good to have that in ur car when u didnt have any spare tyre

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
spare electric pump or foot pump ? hehehe....
Did my second repair last week. Friend got puncture called me ask which shop open at 9pm Saturday. Told him Uncle VR open. He came over and got it fixed. Good thing his new Innova comes with electric pump from Toyota, so no need go to Petrol station.....lol

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Macam mana foot pump, just buy electric pump la, so cheap what! I have one each for my cars.
Foot pump I use before, car use but pump long time.....hhahahhaha
Those cheap pump have you tried? 3 of my friends use before says they heat up pretty hot. Say want to buy , get the more expensive and bigger units....:hmmmm:

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
care to share brand/model of pump

kayour

Known Member
Apr 5, 2006
tried it once, but fail
the tool also bengkok...hahaha
then sent it to tyre shop la

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I've been searching high and low for those transparent plastic/acrylic office blind rod which enables u to open or close the blinds. I wanna know where in KL or PJ can get it?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience