DIY Port & Polish Throttle Body (guide)

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Below is a simple guide on cleaning and PnP your TB...

My TB was due for service since it's never been properly clean before..previous ways was just to spray some cleaner to clean it so I went back early after work to clean and PnP the TB myself.

What you need:
1. Engine cleaner or degreaser x 3 cans...any brand will do..I use to 3in1 cleaner with the lemon citrus scent but this cleaner is quite harsh on the hands....I skin was dried and itchy after I finish the job so better wear a glove...
2. Appropriate tools (depending on car make)...mine mostly are torque screw...
3. tooth brush
4. old cloth 3 pcs will do
5. a small container to soak some smaller parts in the cleaner.
6. old newspaper
7. Autosol or any mag or Alum polish or compound
8. sand paper..you will need a few grit...this is my choice

9. Lots of patience & elbow grease....

If you are not confident in using a Dremel to do the PnP this is the way...of course it's consumes a lot of time.

How the TB looks like before cleaning and PnP...dirty and the inner surface of the intake is rough and I saw some bumps here and there some ridges...

The cleaning process...before cleaning, take out all those sensors attached to the TB to thoroughly clean all the parts and the sensors.

The porting & polish process
Starting with the 100 grit. you can see all the sanded marks....use this 100 to sand out bumps and ridges...then work your way down to finer sand papers until all you feel is smooth surface. For the idle control tunnel..I just did some light porting as I don't want to mess up the idling

Close of view of after 100 grit sanding

After sanding with the 100 grit...move to a finer grit and after each grit sanding spray it with the cleaner and start with another finer grit....the 1500 is to get rid of minor marks and the 2000 water sanding is to give it a mirror finish. Then use the autosol or ALU compound to further smoothen the surface...and you are done...

Important thing is DO NOT sand the part where the butterfly valve closes as it will make the intake diameter larger from the sanding process if you sand out the valve closing area it will mess up the idling also....the butterfly valve will need an impact wrench to take out as I don't have 1. I leave the butterfly valve intact. Opening it with a normal tool will damage the bolt head...which I did on 1....:bawling::biggrin:

NOTE: after the process, the 1st start up the engine rev will be higher for a few seconds, then it will settle back to the normal as the ECU is adjust the intake.

The result....sorry that I skip the other grit process pictures because I was trying to get it done in 1 night. Although the result was not too perfect but I'm happy with it as the whole inner side of the intake is smooth like chrome.....

Reassembly...Looks new and nice...

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Great job bro...great job. Next time send my car to you for cleaning :rofl:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
=.=' SF, cannot clean yourself kah....already posted there GUIDE~~I charged very expensive wan...:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
TR:
Yes, very nice job well done! :top: :top: Two Thumbs Up!

Clean myself, very tiring ma...pro job better let the pros do it la bro :biggrin:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Sf, this one cannot count as pro job...this is amateurs job only....

BLANk

1,500 RPM
Dec 28, 2007
Sardine
www.zerotohundred.com
DIY rocks~~~

after done...100% satisfaction guarantee...hehe

btw,u just let the TPS,ISCV and etc soak in the degreaser???u should use those electronic cleaner for that...

Last edited:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Blank, didnt soak la...I just put them there so can clean them all....after cleaning I use the hair dryer to blow dry them and left them to dry....will it cause problem? I did drive the car around and nothing wrong so I guess it's ok gua....Hahahaha

[H] [K] [S]

1,000 RPM
Dec 22, 2006
Nice... Make sure next day you're not working coz your hands surely need the rest... :rofl:

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
TR...u used dremel to polish or just the sandpaper n yr handpower? if u have a dremel can put on the buffing attachment n put some toothpaste n get real mirror finish...

Mrnazmi

500 RPM
Jan 17, 2005
Drag City
Visit site
Good job for DIY Port & Polish Throttle Body Bro..!
Latter can start to P&P heads pulak...:driver:
Better flow + better response!

autocrosser

Known Member
Aug 13, 2006
Hey, bro

Great post! Can you tell us what is the performance gain from this job? Can you really feel the improvement? Thanks!!

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Arturo, I use sandpapers a few different grit & 2 handpower...hahahaha....

Autocrosser, the 1st thing notice immediately if the respond of the rev....the rev climb faster and smoother...wont hesitate and the sound during WOT is different then before..louder...

TQ subaru...

TQ MrNazmi..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

looking for absorbers for nissan sunny or langley
my car either both but parts are usually identical

need one that can be adjustable soft hard and height

anyone got any suggestion on what brand of absorber are producing these ?
price and where to get ?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience