DIY LED brake lights. Need help.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
VR2, thanks

OK. Now assuming your 4th LED brake light. You want it to light up only when the brake is press or it will keep constantly on like the 2 brake light assembly?

If it's follow 3rd brake light hen easy to do.

If want to follow the 2 brake light assembly you will need a 2 state current driver to control the LED brightness. You can use PWM but 2 state current driver will be enough.

This is what you need for the 2 state current driver
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NUD4001-D.PDF

Last edited:

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Actually got some contis with it, when you unlock car, the handles will light up for a few secs

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
You got my point. One of my door handle broke when a friend mishandle it in the dark(he pull from left to right instead of pull up). Am thinking of one which light up when we unlock the car and turn off when the door is locked. And 2 hidden led is decent. More than 2 led will kill the purpose of having it light up temporary in the dark. No bling2 ah beng car looks...lol.
About the DRL, i prefer it to have on / off switch as well.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
You got my point. One of my door handle broke when a friend mishandle it in the dark(he pull from left to right instead of pull up). Am thinking of one which light up when we unlock the car and turn off when the door is locked. And 2 hidden led is decent. More than 2 led will kill the purpose of having it light up temporary in the dark. No bling2 ah beng car looks...lol.
your friend is very strong lol

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
stupid car, actually the LED brake light you mau do is the 3rd brake light or what? if 3rd brake light then can use my idea as guide....no?
4th one I think. 3rd he will leave as is. The 4th right across the top of back windscreen....:biggrin:
I'm taking out my 10 LEDs 3rd brake light.
Then make a custom 70-80 LEDs led strip. Like the first post's picture. :biggrin:
AND also I'm making a 4th brake light.
I'm letting go the brake light functionality. I'm gonna go the other way around.

TitanRev, I wanna use your idea but one to one resistor and also I'm doing a lot of LEDs, it is too much for me, although safer.

I think I will finish my project this weekend. The LEDs arrived!

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

just bought a pair of slim-straight DRL and switched their job from working in front to new department: 3rd brake light (being enclosed inside red 3rd brake light casing at the spoiler's tip)

:biggrin:

sorry no picture..scorching hot at night so work fast2..test working and then go inside resting

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
just bought a pair of slim-straight DRL and switched their job from working in front to new department: 3rd brake light (being enclosed inside red 3rd brake light casing at the spoiler's tip)

sorry no picture..scorching hot at night so work fast2..test working and then go inside resting
Take picture only post lah!

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Take picture only post lah!
it was impromptu project...

during waifu parking car yesterday evening noticed the 3rd brake light didn't came on...so just go buy along during shopping yesterday night....

came back and installed it directly..only then i remember this thread :adore:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
You can tap the power from your in car doom light which lights up when you unlock the car and off when you lock the car.

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Must be much brighter then the stock bulb :biggrin:

You can tap the power from your in car doom light which lights up when you unlock the car and off when you lock the car.
Thanks. One of the option in mind. Another more complicated option will be running with the alarm system where the light turn off as soon as the door is locked.

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Hi all. I would recommend to use flux type led which is use in myvi brake light and other

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dyno'ed my 1997 BCNR33 at N1 Racing's Dynojet rig on the 8th of January 2011. The tuner was Max Lim from Speed Effect Motorworks.

For a 13 year old car with her stock RB26DETT internals and turbos, shes putting out approximately 347.25 whp and 42.68 torque at the wheel. The car was pushing 1.25 bar of boost at 7500 rpm...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience