DIY LED brake lights. Need help.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Not gonna do that.
Need other things weh.
I only do normal functioning lights.
Ya get Knight Rider light + talking Alarm! Damn! Your persona is Knight Rider car since is black
haha! :top:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
U laugh now, when i do u will see nice.
Muahahahaaha. I ain't go no lala taste man
its not about lala taste la. I did it just to learn lol. My car LED bulbs all bought one. SMD type led difficult to solder

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Told Izso to close this thread but he haven't haha.
Soon, ordered my red led diodes from eBay.
200pcs for RM23 only. :biggrin:
Will post pictures ltr with instructions.
As I told you dude, that's not how we do things in ZTH. You figured it out, share la. You don't have to share the technique or the know how but show your final result la.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Let me help you a bit here la since I've done my own DIY LED 3rd brake light

No.1 you need to find out below
Vs = 12V DC
LED Fv
Normal red ones are 1.9 to 2.1V
High Output about 3 to 4V
mA you intend to supply to the LED 15mA or 20mA higher the brighter but I will put 20mA the max to preserve the life span of the LED
How many LED you want to put in the strip.
Only then you calculate the resistor you need to use. If say you calculated the Ohm to be around 566 or 745 Ohm get the higher than the ones you calculated. 566 you get 600 Ohm 745 you get close to 800Ohm. Also do look into the Watts of the resistor 2Watts is enough for me

My suggestion is that you do all the drawings and calculating on papers 1st before moving to actual project. This is how I do it. You also need to take into consideration the wiring of the multiple LEDs. If wiring multiple LED best to use parallel because if 1 burn others will still light up. If use Series, 1 burn the whole line of LEDs will not light up.

In the below pictures, you will see I'm using parallel series for the entire circuits and I use minis series circuit for each group so if shit happens only 1 group of the LEDs won't light up the rest will still continue to light up.

If I wire all in series, it will draw more current from the source and heats up the wiring because of more current flows. Parallel on the other hand will make all the LED take the same voltage after the resistor and current is spread evenly across all LEDs. This also depends on the individual LED tolerance to voltage variance.
For Knight Rider, not that complicated if you know how to do it. Just go get a running light module and hook it up.

My previous DIY

1st draw out a plan of attack and calculate

2nd fabrication phase

3rd testing and assembling

Last edited:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Let me help you a bit here la since I've done my own DIY LED 3rd brake light

No.1 you need to find out below
Vs = 12V DC
LED Fv
Normal red ones are 1.9 to 2.1V
High Output about 3 to 4V
mA you intend to supply to the LED 15mA or 20mA higher the brighter but I will put 20mA the max to preserve the life span of the LED
How many LED you want to put in the strip.
Only then you calculate the resistor you need to use. If say you calculated the Ohm to be around 566 or 745 Ohm get the higher than the ones you calculated. 566 you get 600 Ohm 745 you get close to 800Ohm. Also do look into the Watts of the resistor 2Watts is enough for me

My suggestion is that you do all the drawings and calculating on papers 1st before moving to actual project. This is how I do it. You also need to take into consideration the wiring of the multiple LEDs. If wiring multiple LED best to use parallel because if 1 burn others will still light up. If use Series, 1 burn the whole line of LEDs will not light up.

In the below pictures, you will see I'm using parallel series for the entire circuits and I use minis series circuit for each group so if shit happens only 1 group of the LEDs won't light up the rest will still continue to light up.

If I wire all in series, it will draw more current from the source and heats up the wiring because of more current flows. Parallel on the other hand will make all the LED take the same voltage after the resistor and current is spread evenly across all LEDs. This also depends on the individual LED tolerance to voltage variance.
For Knight Rider, not that complicated if you know how to do it. Just go get a running light module and hook it up.

My previous DIY

1st draw out a plan of attack and calculate

2nd fabrication phase

3rd testing and assembling
I saw urs man. But 3rd brake lights are still okay.
How about the normal brake lights?
When brakes are applied it become brighter. and so on.
When I got my stuffs dy, gonna experiment then.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear Friends

I am looking for brand new toyota 1995 supra engine.
Is there such a market for new engines of old model cars?

Does anyone manufacture these nowadays?

How about reconditioned engines that perform like new?

Sorry if my questions are naive.

I am not expert in this area.

regards
Richard Tan:driver:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience