DIY Engine Oil Change

suchap69

Known Member
Apr 6, 2005
nice post

i've been doing this diy for 15-odd yrs, since in form 2 with my late father, i seldom go to workshop, when i bought my new car i just went to proton svc ctr during the first 3-4 free maintenance, then its all by myself, the cost is a bit on the high side and sometime the workmanship is so lowya. sometime, the mechanic just let their new apprentice do the oil change (i.e. darth sidious asking anakin to change the oil filter for master yoda), they fill up the whole 4 litre into the engine, the tighten the drain nut so tight, the oil filter is actually supposed to be hand tighten and one light twist with the oil filter opener, but the use all the dark force. i don't normally feel satisfied leaving the workshop after all this.

i always near my car when i service it at the workshop, see what their doing, and not just sit in the air-cond waiting room, at least i can learn something, and it is also beneficial in the sense that they can't do it as they please as your aura overcloud them, hahah

are some of u guys don't know how to change the oil? then better stop laughing at girl who don't know how to change their flat tyre.

simefly

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
Indecided: When you purchase the valve... do share it with us... it sounds cool though but 1½ in would not be a worry unless if you are into low riders tho...

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
suchap69,

well... although changing engine oil is not really dat hard.. but not many of us here are exposed to it.. since we dun get our cars so young n many of us here are working n busy...

i'm sure many DIYers here are still learning new things from each other including myself... so i think this is something i should share with all the kakis n "readers" here... cos i noticed there are quite a number of newbies here...

ANDY_RESORT

500 RPM
Jan 23, 2005
KL
www.andymervingeorge.com
GUys, good write-up on the DIY thingy KHguan! Im thinking of doing it long time ago but with thie article, my knowledge is more deep. :D

Speaking about oil, I am offering imported oils for any cars at seriously reasonable prices. you may PM me for details as I prefer to deal 1-by-1. How about that guys ?

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
thanx for ur compliments dude... :)

andy bro.. mayb u can provide oil changing service as well?? u goto ur customers places?? heheh... this can make many ppl's life much easier... n can earn more money.. kekeke...

i'm sure those bz ppl will like this service..... :D

Andy Ng

Known Member
Mar 1, 2004
Puchong
i usually warm up the engine first...hot oil is thinner and flows better, and sludge is unsettled. then jack car up...blah blah blah...

i usually drain the oil overnight...drain at night, tilt car left, then right, then jut sit as normal, then refill in the morning...get the maximum drain...get maximum amount of dirty oil out...

when you refill...u find u will have to put in more oil than normal...this way engine internals are a bit cleaner...less sludge.

yes oil the oil filter rubber gasket. also, for cars which the oil filter sits at the bottom like a cup, you can fill the oil filter with oil first before fitting...there will a shorter time of low pressure when cranking...system does not need to fill up the filter first...pressure builds faster...

the drain plug...just the PFTE tape will do...never leaked on me...

ANDY_RESORT

500 RPM
Jan 23, 2005
KL
www.andymervingeorge.com
khguan, u are rite la! can serve those busy ppl to do oil change for them! But, are they willing to pay extra if i come to service their car at their location?? What do u think? If I charge RM10 extra on top of normal service charge, will they pay for it? If ok, then im gonna kick start it!

As for the jack, plenty at MAKRO, Giant, Carrefour, Kedai Abang-abang, etc
rice range from RM39 - RM65. Small and compact , like a K-Kar. :D

Andy Ng - Good tips there bro, only for those who DIY la. Workshop whr got time to do all those tilting! HAHA :P

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
yes.. i think they would pay cos they already save their petrol money n time sending it to shop... u can use this to convince ppl mah..

actually i heard this idea from my dad... somebody is already doing this... they goto customers house.. office.. working area.. bla bla... just a parking lot or under the tree would do..

but u must have sufficient tools for diff cars lar...

KeonG

500 RPM
Feb 3, 2004
K.L ®
Visit site
Andy Ng said:
i usually warm up the engine first...hot oil is thinner and flows better, and sludge is unsettled. then jack car up...blah blah blah...

i usually drain the oil overnight...drain at night, tilt car left, then right, then jut sit as normal, then refill in the morning...get the maximum drain...get maximum amount of dirty oil out...

when you refill...u find u will have to put in more oil than normal...this way engine internals are a bit cleaner...less sludge.

yes oil the oil filter rubber gasket. also, for cars which the oil filter sits at the bottom like a cup, you can fill the oil filter with oil first before fitting...there will a shorter time of low pressure when cranking...system does not need to fill up the filter first...pressure builds faster...

the drain plug...just the PFTE tape will do...never leaked on me...
Oh, good idea..! drain the dirty oil overnight to get the max cleanliness of the engine..! Good job!

RPM_freak

Known Member
Sep 13, 2005
kLANG
Hey guys, have u all ever heard of this product by Shell used to Flush your engine? I used it once, its used during engine oil change. Its function is to remove and silt and recedue left in the engine compartment. It comes in a white botol, Iam not sure about the price but i dont think its above $50.

i cant remember the instructions,maybe go shell station and have a look at it .. hehehe .. but its fairly simple to use .. DIY level only. Just pouring liquid only ..

I did feel the engine performing better then if i just changed the oil alone, i recomend using the flush every time u change ur oil, but if follow budget .. every 2 service u use it also ok ..

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
wah.. flush engine every oil change?? very expensive leh like dat...

do u mean de flushing oil is in small bottle or 4liter one??

i have just flushed my engine with normal engine flush fluid(500ml)... here are de steps i did..
1. pour flush fluid into engine (oil dirty oil)
2. run de engine idle for bout 15 mins
3. drain oil completely n blow out remaining with air blower
4. pour in new cheap oil (RM20 a bottle) + flush fluid(another bottle)
5. run engine idle for 30mins...
6. drain oil completely n blow out remaning oil..
7. replace oil filter n pour in new oil..
8. done...

de 2nd oil drain also black black... well.. i can say dat it is not totally 100% clean as de thick grime still sticking on de engine parts... but ok lar.. this DIY took me a few hours.... tired liao hehe...

RPM_freak

Known Member
Sep 13, 2005
kLANG
Errr .. i think i used the 4 Liter flush .. Like u said, it will be costly to use it for every oil change. It basically up to you when you feel that your engine is feeling dirty and could use a Flush :D ... I do recomend you use some time of flush, coz if you dont..its going to contaminate the new oil you pour in and shorten the life of it.

Anyway .. when u say air blower is it the one u use to wash car ah ??

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Three weeks ago we learned about the track-only Pagani Zonda R beating the Ferrari 599XX at the Nurburgring by 10 seconds flat. About a week later we saw a German video of the Italian manufacturer complete the feat, now we bring you an on-board video of the driver humiliating Ferrari with a perfect drive at the 'Ring. Great video complete with an amazing 12-cylinder soundtrack.

<object...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience