DIY Engine Oil Change

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
For those who likes to DIY or just wanto save some money n time, u can DIY oil change. It is not hard at all... U just need some proper tools.. dats it... Only takes about 30mins to complete...

Tools needed:
1. 2 tonne jack
2. 17mm wrench
3. Oil filter wrench/opener
4. Oil container

When u wanto change oil... go n get ur engine oil and the oil filter 1st...

Steps:
1. Jack up ur car with the 2 tonne jack. Make sure ur car is steady n firm.
2. Remove oil cap. Place a container below the oil pan.
3. Loosen the bolt with the 17mm wrench. Remove it.
4. Let the oil drain into the container.
5. Place the container under the oil filter as well. Remove the oil filter n pour out the oil.
6. Apply a thin film of oil onto the new oil filter gasket before putting it place.
7. Tighten it by hand only.
8. When the oil has totally drained off, out back the bolt in place and tighten it back real tight.
9. Now you can pour in the new engine oil. Pour approximately 3/4 oil from the bottle.
10. Check the level n top up if necessary.
11. Put back the oil cap in place and check for oil leak at the bolt n oil filter. If leak means the bolt or filter not tighten properly.
12. Done!

click here for the pics : http://khguan.fotopic.net/c584742.html

for my used oil... i keep them in a empty engine oil bottle... will send it to my mech next time i repair my car...

anyway.. this is a nice DIY... happy DIYing!! cheers!

I

Indecided

good post. You might want to add some thread locker to the oil bolt to make sure it's really unopenable. if it comes loose.. you have helluva time. Can find thread locker at most hardware stores/ACE hardware.

I

Indecided

no,i mean thread locker, think of it like superglue...like you know some bolts u untighten..u notice there is this red or blue color on the threads... that's most likely thread locker, and it keeps the bolt in :)

But it will come off with a wrench, and not via shaking... make the hold tighter :)

jaywat

1,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
Nice pic and DIY!..Tried once to change oil but failed because that time don't have proper tool..can save RM20 for labour change...thumbs up!

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
ok i know wat u are toking about..

those are called self-locking bolts or nuts.... they got a layer of plastic at de end ot it for de extra grip.... but i think not easy to find... cos our oil pan bolt is 17mm... huge wan...

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
ohhh.. ic... now only i know got such things..

anyway.. the valve is cool!! no need to remove de bolt!! just open like tap.. but is it reliable??

jaywat

1,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
ermmm RM20 actually include the oil filter :D

you mean which valve is cool??

simefly

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
hehehe, i used PTFE tape the last time... it worked well for me... Its available in all hardware stores... :oP

I

Indecided

simefly,

yes that's true, most mechies do use pfte (or what we call TEFLON) tape (called also PLUMBERS TAPE) on the drain plug. but thread locker would help to..

khguan, yeah, the valve is apparently reliable, with a safety catch, must buy 1 and try :)

then ask companies here ciplak and sell :P

simefly

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
Indecided: but how much does the thread locker costs?

Yah, i would say that the valve looks neat... but how big will it be in real life? I would not want to go over a bump and get it scrapped out... you know malaysian roads... either too much pot holes or too many bumps

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
i would suggest to keep oil cap on first as this creates a vacuum so not much oil drains out at one go when you're under the car. Also this gives you time to position the container to hold old oil.

Use your hands to plug in oil filter. Common mistake made by mechanics is that the oil filter is over tightened. Hope this helps

I

Indecided

simefly said:
Indecided: but how much does the thread locker costs?

Yah, i would say that the valve looks neat... but how big will it be in real life? I would not want to go over a bump and get it scrapped out... you know malaysian roads... either too much pot holes or too many bumps
Simefly, at the end of the day of course the teflon tape is more economical lah, no doubt but you know.. for the thread locker it'll just be a small dab but i guess the whole container will cost some cash la. So teflon tape still pretty well used.

The oil valve shd be about 1.5in out..i guess.. M'sian roads worrisome.

You can find the product at

http://www.fumotovalve.com

22US = about RM90 here, probably buy one when i go over to the states it'll be so much easier for DIY oil changes.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys.. i have heard of these gadgets about those exhaust that spit fire..
and i know that roughly all u need is a spark plug and some wires and a switch.
but other than that.. i dont know how its done.. can anyone help me out about this?
plannign to diy this thing..
thanx a mill.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience