DIY Engine Oil Change

khguan

4,000 RPM

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
For those who likes to DIY or just wanto save some money n time, u can DIY oil change. It is not hard at all... U just need some proper tools.. dats it... Only takes about 30mins to complete...

Tools needed:
1. 2 tonne jack
2. 17mm wrench
3. Oil filter wrench/opener
4. Oil container

When u wanto change oil... go n get ur engine oil and the oil filter 1st...

Steps:
1. Jack up ur car with the 2 tonne jack. Make sure ur car is steady n firm.
2. Remove oil cap. Place a container below the oil pan.
3. Loosen the bolt with the 17mm wrench. Remove it.
4. Let the oil drain into the container.
5. Place the container under the oil filter as well. Remove the oil filter n pour out the oil.
6. Apply a thin film of oil onto the new oil filter gasket before putting it place.
7. Tighten it by hand only.
8. When the oil has totally drained off, out back the bolt in place and tighten it back real tight.
9. Now you can pour in the new engine oil. Pour approximately 3/4 oil from the bottle.
10. Check the level n top up if necessary.
11. Put back the oil cap in place and check for oil leak at the bolt n oil filter. If leak means the bolt or filter not tighten properly.
12. Done!

click here for the pics : http://khguan.fotopic.net/c584742.html

for my used oil... i keep them in a empty engine oil bottle... will send it to my mech next time i repair my car...

anyway.. this is a nice DIY... happy DIYing!! cheers!

Indecided

I

Indecided

good post. You might want to add some thread locker to the oil bolt to make sure it's really unopenable. if it comes loose.. you have helluva time. Can find thread locker at most hardware stores/ACE hardware.

Indecided

I

Indecided

no,i mean thread locker, think of it like superglue...like you know some bolts u untighten..u notice there is this red or blue color on the threads... that's most likely thread locker, and it keeps the bolt in :)

But it will come off with a wrench, and not via shaking... make the hold tighter :)

jaywat

1,000 RPM

jaywat

1,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
Nice pic and DIY!..Tried once to change oil but failed because that time don't have proper tool..can save RM20 for labour change...thumbs up!

khguan

4,000 RPM

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
ok i know wat u are toking about..

those are called self-locking bolts or nuts.... they got a layer of plastic at de end ot it for de extra grip.... but i think not easy to find... cos our oil pan bolt is 17mm... huge wan...

khguan

4,000 RPM

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
ohhh.. ic... now only i know got such things..

anyway.. the valve is cool!! no need to remove de bolt!! just open like tap.. but is it reliable??

jaywat

1,000 RPM

jaywat

1,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
ermmm RM20 actually include the oil filter :D

you mean which valve is cool??

simefly

Known Member

simefly

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
hehehe, i used PTFE tape the last time... it worked well for me... Its available in all hardware stores... :oP

Indecided

I

Indecided

simefly,

yes that's true, most mechies do use pfte (or what we call TEFLON) tape (called also PLUMBERS TAPE) on the drain plug. but thread locker would help to..

khguan, yeah, the valve is apparently reliable, with a safety catch, must buy 1 and try :)

then ask companies here ciplak and sell :P

simefly

Known Member

simefly

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
Indecided: but how much does the thread locker costs?

Yah, i would say that the valve looks neat... but how big will it be in real life? I would not want to go over a bump and get it scrapped out... you know malaysian roads... either too much pot holes or too many bumps

phat7

2,000 RPM

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
i would suggest to keep oil cap on first as this creates a vacuum so not much oil drains out at one go when you're under the car. Also this gives you time to position the container to hold old oil.

Use your hands to plug in oil filter. Common mistake made by mechanics is that the oil filter is over tightened. Hope this helps

Indecided

I

Indecided

simefly said:
Indecided: but how much does the thread locker costs?

Yah, i would say that the valve looks neat... but how big will it be in real life? I would not want to go over a bump and get it scrapped out... you know malaysian roads... either too much pot holes or too many bumps
Simefly, at the end of the day of course the teflon tape is more economical lah, no doubt but you know.. for the thread locker it'll just be a small dab but i guess the whole container will cost some cash la. So teflon tape still pretty well used.

The oil valve shd be about 1.5in out..i guess.. M'sian roads worrisome.

You can find the product at

http://www.fumotovalve.com

22US = about RM90 here, probably buy one when i go over to the states it'll be so much easier for DIY oil changes.

suchap69

Known Member

suchap69

Known Member
Apr 6, 2005
nice post

i've been doing this diy for 15-odd yrs, since in form 2 with my late father, i seldom go to workshop, when i bought my new car i just went to proton svc ctr during the first 3-4 free maintenance, then its all by myself, the cost is a bit on the high side and sometime the workmanship is so lowya. sometime, the mechanic just let their new apprentice do the oil change (i.e. darth sidious asking anakin to change the oil filter for master yoda), they fill up the whole 4 litre into the engine, the tighten the drain nut so tight, the oil filter is actually supposed to be hand tighten and one light twist with the oil filter opener, but the use all the dark force. i don't normally feel satisfied leaving the workshop after all this.

i always near my car when i service it at the workshop, see what their doing, and not just sit in the air-cond waiting room, at least i can learn something, and it is also beneficial in the sense that they can't do it as they please as your aura overcloud them, hahah

are some of u guys don't know how to change the oil? then better stop laughing at girl who don't know how to change their flat tyre.

simefly

Known Member

simefly

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
Indecided: When you purchase the valve... do share it with us... it sounds cool though but 1½ in would not be a worry unless if you are into low riders tho...

khguan

4,000 RPM

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
suchap69,

well... although changing engine oil is not really dat hard.. but not many of us here are exposed to it.. since we dun get our cars so young n many of us here are working n busy...

i'm sure many DIYers here are still learning new things from each other including myself... so i think this is something i should share with all the kakis n "readers" here... cos i noticed there are quite a number of newbies here...

ANDY_RESORT

500 RPM

ANDY_RESORT

500 RPM
Jan 23, 2005
KL
www.andymervingeorge.com
GUys, good write-up on the DIY thingy KHguan! Im thinking of doing it long time ago but with thie article, my knowledge is more deep. :D

Speaking about oil, I am offering imported oils for any cars at seriously reasonable prices. you may PM me for details as I prefer to deal 1-by-1. How about that guys ?

khguan

4,000 RPM

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
thanx for ur compliments dude... :)

andy bro.. mayb u can provide oil changing service as well?? u goto ur customers places?? heheh... this can make many ppl's life much easier... n can earn more money.. kekeke...

i'm sure those bz ppl will like this service..... :D

Andy Ng

Known Member

Andy Ng

Known Member
Mar 1, 2004
Puchong
i usually warm up the engine first...hot oil is thinner and flows better, and sludge is unsettled. then jack car up...blah blah blah...

i usually drain the oil overnight...drain at night, tilt car left, then right, then jut sit as normal, then refill in the morning...get the maximum drain...get maximum amount of dirty oil out...

when you refill...u find u will have to put in more oil than normal...this way engine internals are a bit cleaner...less sludge.

yes oil the oil filter rubber gasket. also, for cars which the oil filter sits at the bottom like a cup, you can fill the oil filter with oil first before fitting...there will a shorter time of low pressure when cranking...system does not need to fill up the filter first...pressure builds faster...

the drain plug...just the PFTE tape will do...never leaked on me...

ANDY_RESORT

500 RPM

ANDY_RESORT

500 RPM
Jan 23, 2005
KL
www.andymervingeorge.com
khguan, u are rite la! can serve those busy ppl to do oil change for them! But, are they willing to pay extra if i come to service their car at their location?? What do u think? If I charge RM10 extra on top of normal service charge, will they pay for it? If ok, then im gonna kick start it!

As for the jack, plenty at MAKRO, Giant, Carrefour, Kedai Abang-abang, etc
rice range from RM39 - RM65. Small and compact , like a K-Kar. :D

Andy Ng - Good tips there bro, only for those who DIY la. Workshop whr got time to do all those tilting! HAHA :P

khguan

4,000 RPM

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
yes.. i think they would pay cos they already save their petrol money n time sending it to shop... u can use this to convince ppl mah..

actually i heard this idea from my dad... somebody is already doing this... they goto customers house.. office.. working area.. bla bla... just a parking lot or under the tree would do..

but u must have sufficient tools for diff cars lar...

KeonG

500 RPM

KeonG

500 RPM
Feb 3, 2004
K.L ®
Visit site
Andy Ng said:
i usually warm up the engine first...hot oil is thinner and flows better, and sludge is unsettled. then jack car up...blah blah blah...

i usually drain the oil overnight...drain at night, tilt car left, then right, then jut sit as normal, then refill in the morning...get the maximum drain...get maximum amount of dirty oil out...

when you refill...u find u will have to put in more oil than normal...this way engine internals are a bit cleaner...less sludge.

yes oil the oil filter rubber gasket. also, for cars which the oil filter sits at the bottom like a cup, you can fill the oil filter with oil first before fitting...there will a shorter time of low pressure when cranking...system does not need to fill up the filter first...pressure builds faster...

the drain plug...just the PFTE tape will do...never leaked on me...
Oh, good idea..! drain the dirty oil overnight to get the max cleanliness of the engine..! Good job!

RPM_freak

Known Member

RPM_freak

Known Member
Sep 13, 2005
kLANG
Hey guys, have u all ever heard of this product by Shell used to Flush your engine? I used it once, its used during engine oil change. Its function is to remove and silt and recedue left in the engine compartment. It comes in a white botol, Iam not sure about the price but i dont think its above $50.

i cant remember the instructions,maybe go shell station and have a look at it .. hehehe .. but its fairly simple to use .. DIY level only. Just pouring liquid only ..

I did feel the engine performing better then if i just changed the oil alone, i recomend using the flush every time u change ur oil, but if follow budget .. every 2 service u use it also ok ..

khguan

4,000 RPM

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
wah.. flush engine every oil change?? very expensive leh like dat...

do u mean de flushing oil is in small bottle or 4liter one??

i have just flushed my engine with normal engine flush fluid(500ml)... here are de steps i did..
1. pour flush fluid into engine (oil dirty oil)
2. run de engine idle for bout 15 mins
3. drain oil completely n blow out remaining with air blower
4. pour in new cheap oil (RM20 a bottle) + flush fluid(another bottle)
5. run engine idle for 30mins...
6. drain oil completely n blow out remaning oil..
7. replace oil filter n pour in new oil..
8. done...

de 2nd oil drain also black black... well.. i can say dat it is not totally 100% clean as de thick grime still sticking on de engine parts... but ok lar.. this DIY took me a few hours.... tired liao hehe...

RPM_freak

Known Member

RPM_freak

Known Member
Sep 13, 2005
kLANG
Errr .. i think i used the 4 Liter flush .. Like u said, it will be costly to use it for every oil change. It basically up to you when you feel that your engine is feeling dirty and could use a Flush :D ... I do recomend you use some time of flush, coz if you dont..its going to contaminate the new oil you pour in and shorten the life of it.

Anyway .. when u say air blower is it the one u use to wash car ah ??

khguan

4,000 RPM

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
flushing often is not recommended as those flushing fluid will corrode de engine part... in some cases it will make ur car makan engine oil after flushing... make de seals n gasket spoil.... dats de feed back from most mechanics...

de bower i used is called dust blower.... those look like a handheld turbocharger turbine!! haha!! make sure u put newspaper under de oil pan n around it... if not de oil gonna blow out everywhere...

RPM_freak

Known Member

RPM_freak

Known Member
Sep 13, 2005
kLANG
OooO .. flush makan engine .. GRGRGRGR .. dangerous ! .. location/price of where u bought ur blower .. anyway .. what jack u used is it the one like in the workshop or the normal one behind your booth can huh .. ? ...

khguan

4,000 RPM

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
eh.. de blower my dad gave to me.. u can get them from machinery shop.. those shop selling power tools should have them... china made is good enough.. altho they are loud.. but very long lasting... taiwan made is quiet but they dun last...

i used normal 2 tonne jack from acc. shop.. if used our car boot jack u'll need 2pcs... one for each side...

RPM_freak

Known Member

RPM_freak

Known Member
Sep 13, 2005
kLANG
Orite cool ... I never seen anyone using blower during oil change .. but sounds efficient :D shall do as said .. :biggrin: :rock:

jimmy_WAI

Known Member

jimmy_WAI

Known Member
Apr 8, 2005
khguan said:
For those who likes to DIY or just wanto save some money n time, u can DIY oil change. It is not hard at all... U just need some proper tools.. dats it... Only takes about 30mins to complete...

Tools needed:
1. 2 tonne jack
2. 17mm wrench
3. Oil filter wrench/opener
4. Oil container

When u wanto change oil... go n get ur engine oil and the oil filter 1st...

Steps:
1. Jack up ur car with the 2 tonne jack. Make sure ur car is steady n firm.
2. Remove oil cap. Place a container below the oil pan.
3. Loosen the bolt with the 17mm wrench. Remove it.
4. Let the oil drain into the container.
5. Place the container under the oil filter as well. Remove the oil filter n pour out the oil.
6. Apply a thin film of oil onto the new oil filter gasket before putting it place.
7. Tighten it by hand only.
8. When the oil has totally drained off, out back the bolt in place and tighten it back real tight.
9. Now you can pour in the new engine oil. Pour approximately 3/4 oil from the bottle.
10. Check the level n top up if necessary.
11. Put back the oil cap in place and check for oil leak at the bolt n oil filter. If leak means the bolt or filter not tighten properly.
12. Done! http://67.18.37.16/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

click here for the pics : http://khguan.fotopic.net/c584742.html

for my used oil... i keep them in a empty engine oil bottle... will send it to my mech next time i repair my car...

anyway.. this is a nice DIY... happy DIYing!! cheers! http://67.18.37.16/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://67.18.37.16/2598/52/emo/smile_thumbup.gif http://67.18.37.16/2598/52/emo/41.gif
u forget add 1 more thing.

start the engine 1st after pour the engine oil.off the engine then measure the engine oil level.^^

khguan

4,000 RPM

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
dude... we measure de oil level when engine is cold or at least it has been cooled down for 30mins... not after running de engine...

de last step after topping oil to correct level is to start de engine to check for leaks... then de next morning b4 start engine check oil level again..... top up if necessary...

jimmy_WAI

Known Member

jimmy_WAI

Known Member
Apr 8, 2005
khguan said:
dude... we measure de oil level when engine is cold or at least it has been cooled down for 30mins... not after running de engine...

de last step after topping oil to correct level is to start de engine to check for leaks... then de next morning b4 start engine check oil level again..... top up if necessary...
if change @ outside workshop,i dun think the foreman will let the engine cool for 30 minutes 1st then measure ur engine oil level.

khguan

4,000 RPM

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
de foreman just estimate de level... they are doing it everyday... so they know how much oil to pour in... n they normally judge on de leftover in de oil bottle...

if me... after starting de engine to check for leak.. then stop it n rest de engine for 5-10 mins... i top up de oil until about 3/4 full only cos de oil is not fully at de bottom of de oil pan... then de following morning will top up if necessary.... for more accurate oil level...

jimmy_WAI

Known Member

jimmy_WAI

Known Member
Apr 8, 2005
khguan said:
de foreman just estimate de level... they are doing it everyday... so they know how much oil to pour in... n they normally judge on de leftover in de oil bottle...

if me... after starting de engine to check for leak.. then stop it n rest de engine for 5-10 mins... i top up de oil until about 3/4 full only cos de oil is not fully at de bottom of de oil pan... then de following morning will top up if necessary.... for more accurate oil level...
^_^

hahaha...i'm the one who doing those stuff---changing engine oil.(holiday work) :-p
sure know how much to pour it.the right hand just like a weighting machine liao.

(p/s:i sure pour to "full" level,customer request mah...he pay money then follow him loh XD)

Last edited:

ylkien

Known Member

ylkien

Known Member
May 17, 2005
KL/PJ
To prevent the oil from gushing out, just lossen the screw till the oil starts dripping out, and let it drip all out. Make sure your car is tilted backwards, so that all the oil can come out from the tank. Remember not to overfill the oil. As long as the oil is half way between max and min, it is ok.

cyclonite

500 RPM

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
http://www.fumotovalve.com/

this product is not worth it la. so expensive just for that. convenient la but that price is too much la

bcteh

bcteh

Dec 4, 2005
guan,

mind asking .....where you throw the oil ? :rolleyes:

bcteh

bcteh

Dec 4, 2005
guan,

Mind asking ...where you throw the oil ?

One suggestion, can you included engine flush in the process.

Peace .... :biggrin:

khguan

4,000 RPM

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
i din throw de oil... it is illegal n will harm de environment... i send to my mech... they will keep it as there will be ppl coming to collect from the mech for a price...

engine flush process?? nothing special la..

to do a proper engine flush... u need to flush 2-3 times at least with clean engine oil... for me... 1st pour a bottle of flush fluid into ur already dirty engine oil... let ur engine run for 20mins... then drain it... pour in new engine oil... n pour in again new flush fluid.. n run ur engine for bout 10-15mins... repeat this process until de oil drained is clean enough... u will need about 12liters of oil for this(according to some SC).... use cheap engine oil for flushing will do...

lastly pour in ur engine oil n top up to de level necessary... hope dat helps..

Last edited:

trueno

1,500 RPM

trueno

1,500 RPM
Nov 30, 2003
Skudai,JB
Visit site
hey guan...thx for ure info..and i wanna know also that how to take out the spark plug?i wan change that also leh....and....where to get the wrench to open the old oil filter..?

sorry bro..i am driving a CLK....same step as u show here rite?

khguan

4,000 RPM

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
ok.. one by one...

oil change n flush... ok... if ur CLK is produced by Perodua... then its same steps n procedures... but if ur CLK is produced by Mercedes... then i would recommend u to send back to the authorised SC.... i heard it is diff to service a Merc...

for spark plug, get de spark plug wrench from hardware shop or sparepart shop... make sure u tell them ur car model as diff car model got diff size...

oil filter wrench - can get from hardware shop or acc. shop... shoping mall also got... got a few types... i use de cheapest.. hehe...

air twister - made of 3" PC fan blade... center part cut a hole to eliminate unnecessary air restriction... stuff into de rampipe... u may use double sided tape (foam type) to secure it if it is loose...