DIY - Easy COMPLETE Power Steering System Fluid Change

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
This is done on a Persona Elegance.

Difficulty: 5/10
Time: Took me 2 hours because virgin. You will be fine with 1 hour.

Yes, another 20,000km. Time to get dirty!
Perodua Dexron III is only RM18/L. You only need 1L. Even less if you choose to not do step 8.

After reading a few articles and some advise from sifu Izso, I've done it myself.
Supposingly to do it with Izso but I just got too excited and decided to change just the power steering fluid myself.
ATF and brake fluid change have to wait for him because I am waiting for my Lubegard Platinum :biggrin: and also I need some tools from Izso. Can't wait for these 2 as my brakes are spongy and my AT is slipping badly.
This is applicable to most Hydraulic Power Steering system.
No fluids are in the Electric Power Steering like the Iriz and the most popular car in Malaysia, Myvi(>2011).

1) Jack up your car :biggrin: So you can turn your steering easily.

2) Locate your power steering 'bottle'/container.
Some are metal container, most are plastics.

3) Remove the plastic filter.
Dirty...

4) Drain it, 'Izso Sunsilk' style. Pump it dry.
Turn the steering most left, pump it out. Turn the steering most right, pump it out.

5) Locate your return hose of the system. I went on with my guts and its the side 'nipple'.
Plug it out. Find something to block the opened 'nipple'.
I used my grinder bits. Fit perfectly. :idea:
It won't be high pressure, so anything that fits, it sits.

TM: Stupidcar Zerotohundred.com

6) Find a bottle that fits and sits nicely in the bay. Watch out of the timing belt as you need to start the car to use the power steering pump to pump the old fluids out.
Just simply fit the return line into the bottle.

Important: Please warn the other person to follow your instructions instantly.
Have another person to start the car for you. Now you see the return line with reddish black fluids out. Thats your power steering fluids in the rack & pump.
Once you saw the fluids in the container is reaching its end, SHOUT to ask the other person shut it. Approx 1.5 seconds ONLY.
I have my brother ZTH @hgbee (Future DIYer :biggrin:)
ps: If you feel heartpain :bawling: because you cold start your car for 1.5 seconds twice. Then do it after a warm run. But fluids will be hot. So becareful.
First flush: Dirty...

7) Fill it up full above max, because you will have to pump another time.

8) Repeat step 6
Second flush's result. Actually pointless because new fluids came out as well.

9) Plug it all back nice and snug AND REFILL. MAKE SURE.

9.5) Okay. Mentioned by Izso sifu. Open the cap, turn steering left and right end to end to remove any air bubbles in the system.

10) Might as well lah. Changed my copper RM28 NGKs. Crunchy...

11) Enjoy your new found smoothness.

ps: - Some people actually don't change the fluid until 80,000km or something happened like VR2turbo :rofl: He admitted it.
Mine 20,000km already this dark. Super light steering now. :proud:
- SPIII can be used, but I choose not to.
- Be watchful of the container, never ever run it dry.

Please copy and paste in other forums with credits.
TM: Stupidcar Zerotohundred.com

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Nice DIY esp. during the long weekends...

BTW, your hands sooo smooth and fair.........:biggrin:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Good job.

last time i did a change,i dont remove the return hose.
i just empty the tank by sticking a hose in the fluid reserve bottle and use air gun to add pressure to siphon it out.
fill in new fluid,start engine and turn steering left and right.
did that 2-3 times till fluid becomes clear.

btw,i just use dexron 2 fluid.

i also used the same brake fluid as yours.the bosch fluid is the best i used so far.even better than proton's fluid.it manage to retain the same brake feel longer.
changing brake fluid is more satisfying esp if it has not been change for more than 60k km.
some care will have the fluid colour becomes clear from original yellow.
some becomes green be it dot 3 or dot 4.
some will have sludge,this is the most satisfying.

on the spark plug,i did readjust the gap once on my waja and the engine feels a bit smoother.

i just adjust or rather guide my bro to adjust the valve clearance on the Pajero.too bad i forgot to take pic as too busy guiding him.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Yea bro. Really need this as I was bored of work. Dude, hairy veiny hands also nice kah.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Good job.

last time i did a change,i dont remove the return hose.
i just empty the tank by sticking a hose in the fluid reserve bottle and use air gun to add pressure to siphon it out.
fill in new fluid,start engine and turn steering left and right.
did that 2-3 times till fluid becomes clear.

btw,i just use dexron 2 fluid.

i also used the same brake fluid as yours.the bosch fluid is the best i used so far.even better than proton's fluid.it manage to retain the same brake feel longer.
changing brake fluid is more satisfying esp if it has not been change for more than 60k km.
some care will have the fluid colour becomes clear from original yellow.
some becomes green be it dot 3 or dot 4.
some will have sludge,this is the most satisfying.

on the spark plug,i did readjust the gap once on my waja and the engine feels a bit smoother.

i just adjust or rather guide my bro to adjust the valve clearance on the Pajero.too bad i forgot to take pic as too busy guiding him.

Does the plugs really gapped wrongly? :worried:

Wah, i do everything at 20,000km. Am I wasting money? Lol.

Damn. U adjust valve clearance? Thats some high tech stuffs.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
bro stupidcar,

Me just pullin your legs.
Regardless of what hands, DIY hands are the best.....

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Yea bro. Really need this as I was bored of work. Dude, hairy veiny hands also nice kah.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

changing at 20k km is not wasting money if u can afford it.atf is cheap.plus,it helps steady your hands.if not hands will shake parkinson like becoz long2 time no diy.maybe u need to diy coolant next if its time to do so.i used proton coolant as its better than most aftermarket one.plus it has the same effect when spilled on your skin like toyota coolant.

we called it adjust tappet.the haynes manual book i refered to called it valve clearence hence sounding more complicate.
its an easy but kinda hard to do due to being done under engine operating temp and the way the engine is mounted.had to sit on the front bar.

on the plug gap 2 out of 4 on my car the gap off.since i had a feeler gauge i just do it.i havent check the gap when new as i dont bother abt it until my dad brought up the topic.

about your hands....need to do more diy on older car...then will be dirty,oily,and hairy...hahah.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
not just dirty and oily.....Stupidcar must oso show some sweat, and ripping muscles......:top:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
changing at 20k km is not wasting money if u can afford it.atf is cheap.plus,it helps steady your hands.if not hands will shake parkinson like becoz long2 time no diy.maybe u need to diy coolant next if its time to do so.i used proton coolant as its better than most aftermarket one.plus it has the same effect when spilled on your skin like toyota coolant.

we called it adjust tappet.the haynes manual book i refered to called it valve clearence hence sounding more complicate.
its an easy but kinda hard to do due to being done under engine operating temp and the way the engine is mounted.had to sit on the front bar.

on the plug gap 2 out of 4 on my car the gap off.since i had a feeler gauge i just do it.i havent check the gap when new as i dont bother abt it until my dad brought up the topic.

about your hands....need to do more diy on older car...then will be dirty,oily,and hairy...hahah.
not just dirty and oily.....Stupidcar must oso show some sweat, and ripping muscles......:top:
Lol. I don't build muscles bro. But stay fit!
If not, need to do overhaul engine to build muscles :rofl:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Hands so clean also, like he did not do the DIY, maybe his brother......hhahahahhahaha:rofl:

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

ps: - Some people actually don't change the fluid until 80,000km or something happened like VR2turbo :rofl: He admitted it.
Not even changed at 80k km, like very much more. More like when got problem then do repairs then only fill in new fluid....:biggrin:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hands so clean also, like he did not do the DIY, maybe his brother......hhahahahhahaha:rofl:

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Not even changed at 80k km, like very much more. More like when got problem then do repairs then only fill in new fluid....:biggrin:
I do so many DIYs, hand still smooth :rofl:
Change la. Steering doesn't feel heavy meh? Mine 19,000km also damn heavy.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Plugs aren't gapped wrongly la. People gap plugs to improve the performance of the plugs but do it wrong and it'll kill the plug. No point doing it la, get the right type of plugs and you'll be fine. The performance gain from gapping is minimal.

As for valve clearance, that's tappet adjustment. Very easy to do but if not mistaken your car has an auto adjuster. Most modern cars have auto adjustors already.

And I noticed you didn't bleed the system of air pockets? IE - the last step after filling new oil, plugging everything back, start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times and then check the oil level?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I do so many DIYs, hand still smooth :rofl:
Change la. Steering doesn't feel heavy meh? Mine 19,000km also damn heavy.
Hyundai one is too light already. VR one is heavy but is like that one, get very good feedback mah!....:biggrin:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Plugs aren't gapped wrongly la. People gap plugs to improve the performance of the plugs but do it wrong and it'll kill the plug. No point doing it la, get the right type of plugs and you'll be fine. The performance gain from gapping is minimal.

As for valve clearance, that's tappet adjustment. Very easy to do but if not mistaken your car has an auto adjuster. Most modern cars have auto adjustors already.

And I noticed you didn't bleed the system of air pockets? IE - the last step after filling new oil, plugging everything back, start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times and then check the oil level?
I did. Didn't put in. ahha.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

hyundai one is too light already. Vr one is heavy but is like that one, get very good feedback mah!....:biggrin:
hahahaha

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
sifu teach me how to change...