[DIY] Easiest DIY of all - how to change engine oil

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I've been meaning to post up a DIY for the longest time. But everytime I do something it's usually car model specific and hence most of the time not really shareable. So a lady friend suggested I do a DIY engine oil change so she could do it herself in future. HERself get her pretty little fingers all oily and grimy? Why not! Anything to get women down and dirty...

In this particular case my lady friend only held the camera. I did the work.

Tools needed :

1. New engine oil and oil filter
  2. Sturdy car jackstands
  3. Car jack (big or small will do. Big makes is easier and faster though)
  4. Funnel
  5. Clean cloth and a LOT of newspaper
  6. Oil filter removal tool, size 14/17 (depending on car) ratchet or closed end wrench. Do not use open end wrenches! They may slip and spoil the nut.
  7. Any medium sized box tub purchaseable at your friendly hypermart for RM15++

Jack the car up to a comfortable height and ensure you set the car at its designated jacking points. In this case the Myvi has two markers at the side.

Get under the car and look for the correct outlet bolt. For an automatic, there are two outlet bolts - one for engine oil and another for ATF (automatic transmission fluid). The engine oil one is the one located near the oil filter (which is the white cylindrical canister on the top left side of this picture).

This is the ATF outlet. Don't remove this nut unless you want to replace the ATF as well. But that's another DIY for another day.

Loosen the bolt with your tool, then just use your hand to remove the bolt.

Let the engine oil flow out until it completely stops dripping. Catch the oil using the box tub you bought at the hypermarket.

Using the Oil Filter removal tool, remove the oil filter. Sometimes the filter might be too tight so wrap the oil filter base with some newspaper then only fit the removal tool to get a better grip. Be prepared to catch more oil from the oil filter outlet using the tub. Make sure the tub will catch random drops of oil from the bolt outlet as well unless you want oil on your precious tiled floor (which is a real bitch to clean btw).

Once loosened, it helps to hold the oil filter with newspaper as it'll get real messy. Pour out all the oil in the filter into the tub.

Wait for all the dripping to finish then wipe the oil filter outlet and the bolt outlet clean.

Replace the oil drain bolt or just add on a new washer. As you can see from the picture, this washer is pretty much worn out.

Remove the oil cap and pull out the oil level dipstick to let even more oil flow out into the tub.

While waiting for the dripping out of the old oil, lube the new oil filter with some new engine oil. The rubber seal must be lubed otherwise it may not have a good seal and possibly cause a leak. I make it a personal habit to fill the oil filter half way too with new engine oil. It's not absolutely necessary but some say it helps to protect the engine that tiny little bit more since oil is already there when you start the car.

Fit the new oil filter in and the bolt as well and tighten then to the best of your ability. Do not use brute strength. Once it feels tight enough - it probably is, as long as it's not removable by hand. Overtighten it and you might spoil the thread and that'll be a real major pain-in-the-you-know-where to fix.

Almost all engine oils of this size is 4L. There are a few 5L in the market but the average Japanese or local car only needs 4L bottles. European cars uses 5L or more. Using the funnel, pour in half the bottle into the car. Lower your car onto the ground then check your dipstick to see how much more oil you need to add. Fill the oil to be between the "Hot" marker and the "Cold" marker on your dipstick. It should not exceed the "Hot" marker which is usually the higher end of the marker on the dipstick. Ideally it should just be slightly below "Hot".

Once done, be a environmentally responsible person and recycle the old oil at your friendly mechanics shop or recycling center. I used old 4L bottles to collect the old oil before I dropped them off at a nearby mechanics place.

Throw all your rubbish, newspaper, wipe dry your tub, keep all your tools and you're done!

:biggrin:

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
nicely written with pictures. two thumbs up for the effort sir.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
bro, can post on how to change gearbox oil as well....
Erm.. Can also. That will take time cuz my ATF not due for change yet. I don't have a manual at home to show how to change manual oil. That one lagi senang compared to ATF.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
next time use plastic bag to hold the oil filter before removing it... by using this method, the oil will flow right into the plastic bag....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi Bro .. where did u buy yr jack and the stand ?
:driver:
i got it from MTIS. The dude's name is Eric and his shop is in Klang. Quite good pricing and friendly fella.

Hello, canu show where is the jack point under the engine/body of car and how to put the jack stand, thank
Different cars have different jacking points. Best you check your car manual. Or you could tell me what car you drive?

Nov 6, 2013
Penang
i figured out the cover has minor leakage/oil stain. does that mean i have to open the bottom cover and change the gasket?while changing engine oil?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
i figured out the cover has minor leakage/oil stain. does that mean i have to open the bottom cover and change the gasket?while changing engine oil?
What cover are you talking about specifically?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I didn't realize a change of new engine oil can make my gearbox shift smoother.
I don't think its just me, its really smoother, really! haha
My Bardhal FS 5W40 only did 6230km.
Brother SC, your used oil throw where? At my place the garbage guys simply throw, so if I DIY oil change, I still have to take it to my mechanic to dispose. If that is the case, I rather let him do it.....:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

can anyone explain? y?

as i noe its due to :
1) oil pump (faulty)
2) insufficienet engine oil

wat other causes??? anyone noes?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience