DIY coolant replace + flush

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I always use 2 bottles and top the water regardless of the ratio. Rad fan hardly kicks-in whenever the a/c is in use....LOL!
not good?why?
Ok Drex, this is one time I get to hammer you for doing something bad. LOL

- Coolant has a higher viscosity than water meaning it will not flow as well as water....bad #1
- Coolant by itself is not a good conductor of heat compared to water. Meaning it won't carry heat as well as water... bad #2

so by this conclusion, you get slower flow rate, lesser heat dissipation and overall poorer cooling. But there's more

- Too much coolant may spoil the water pump in the long run if the mixture is too thick (high viscosity)... bad #3
- The mixture may turn corrosive. But this only Drex can confirm since he's the chemist major. But a general search on Google will say it may result in higher corrosion either because of the coolant itself or because it wasn't enough to prohibit corrosion (coolants are supposed to prevent rusting, corrosion, freezing, etc).... bad #4.

The general consensus is 50 - 50 mix. So how many litres you empty out from your radiator and block, divide it by two then pour in the amount of coolant and top it off with distilled water. Or you go buy those premixed coolants out there and just pour in neat, not mixed since it's already mixed.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
so which coolant is the best?can u suggest?
You have to go try yourself. I've never really bothered to experiment with other brands since stock Nissan / Toyota / Proton ethylene glycol coolants all work for my cars.

Like what ReLog said try Millers. There's Motul and a few other reputable brands that's worthwhile testing too. For me it's always about cost and the ones I use are the 'cheapest' reputable ones.

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
You have to go try yourself. I've never really bothered to experiment with other brands since stock Nissan / Toyota / Proton ethylene glycol coolants all work for my cars.

Like what ReLog said try Millers. There's Motul and a few other reputable brands that's worthwhile testing too. For me it's always about cost and the ones I use are the 'cheapest' reputable ones.
I use a brand called Showa. It says mix 50:50. So 2 liters of coolant + slightly lesser than 2 liters of water makes up about the right concentration. So I got it right lah... About the hammering parts... since you are quite a sifu now, no good to hammer you in public, will guide you through when we meet.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I use a brand called Showa. It says mix 50:50. So 2 liters of coolant + slightly lesser than 2 liters of water makes up about the right concentration. So I got it right lah... About the hammering parts... since you are quite a sifu now, no good to hammer you in public, will guide you through when we meet.
I don't quite understand the sifu comment since I learn from mostly people like you and khguan. So if I'm sifu, then you're sikong. LOL :biggrin:

Showa is premixed. Premixed x 2 bottles doesn't count la! The earlier question was if it's ok to use Toyota coolant x 2 and that's not ok!

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Hello bos,
i let the water burp for 12minutes but after that the water burp like volcano leh and the water splash out ..why ah???
i jus diy use toyota life long coolant 50/50 with distilled water..
Car is toyota liteace van..

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
Hello bos,
i let the water burp for 12minutes but after that the water burp like volcano leh and the water splash out ..why ah???
got bubbles i guess... toyota i think should have a bolt some where at thermostat housing to release the air trapped in d cooling system if not mistaken...try to have a look

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
got bubbles i guess... toyota i think should have a bolt some where at thermostat housing to release the air trapped in d cooling system if not mistaken...try to have a look
i check out tomoro the bolt because dark dy, the thermostat housing design same with this myvi..
if i drive around will the buble air goes out automatically or it will trap inside?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hello bos,
You have to know the difference between air bubble and boiling bubbles. Most likely what you saw is the boiling bubbles. Air bubbles usually come in big groups or are pretty large. You probably can stop once it's settled down to some degree.

Air bubbles trapped inside stay inside. The only thing bad about that is it's a bad conductor of heat but having said that one a or two bubbles isn't going to be catastrophic unless your car is super heavily modified and highly dependent on the radiator to stay cool...

samurai76

Feb 8, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
izso san...thx for the tutorial with pictures that ease everyone to perform the DIY...this was my 2nd major DIY after cleaning the TB...:biggrin:

the volume of water in radiator = 1.5litres..while the volume in reserve tank=0.6litres...if you guys are using 'pure coolant', you can make some rough estimation amount of water acquired in the radiator/reserve tank VS qty coolant you should buy at the spare part shops ..please correct me if i am wrong...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi, would like to know, what is the advatage/benefit to install a fuel regulator for the car (more fc safe or ......). and how often do we need to service/adjust this fuel regulator. pls advide.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience