[DIY] Cleaning your throttle body

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
First, identify where your throttle body (TB) is. Since my Myvi is still using cable (and not electronic) I just locate where the cable is and voila, there's my TB.

Ensure you remember how the vacuum hoses and what not are connected. You do not want to mess this up as it can adversely affect your fuel consumption and performance.

Look for all the hoses, sensor plugs, bolts and screws that hold your TB down and remove them. If you have a zillion bolts and nuts, make sure you take a picture with your trusty camera for reference later (like I have... just in case).

Remove all the rubber o-rings if possible and clean them separately. Be gentle in case they break and if already brittle, I suggest you replace them. They sell for about RM1.50 to RM5 at your friendly spareparts store.

You can try to clean the intake manifold as well if you like. Easiest would be to just wipe what you can like this or spray throttle body cleaner in there and fire up the engine (after reinstalling everything) to burn off the excess cleaner and gunk you've washed off. Or if you're really thorough, dismantle the manifold and clean it separately (recommended!)

Clean off the oily gunky bits. Don't miss the PCV hole area too. If you don't have a oil catch tank this intake will be pretty dirty. I used carb/throttle cleaner to do this. Some people prefer to use petrol since it's cheaper (you only need a tiny bottle of RM1.00 RON95 to do this).

Nice and clean. Reinstall everything back the same way you removed it starting with the rubber o-rings.

Cost of TB Cleaner spray : RM14.50
Time taken to do this : 20 minutes
Not having to pay the mechanic RM50 to do this simple job : Priceless

Note : Some TBs have very sensitive throttle position sensors like the Wira VDO TB. Handle with care and do not handle it roughly otherwise you may need to go back to the manufacturer to have the ECU reset to clear the fault codes.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
and just in time too..

i'm planning to clean my Carb this weekend.. :biggrin:

actually, i saw a pomen cleans a carb without opening it.. he juz rev the engine & spray the carb cleaner while engine running...

he do like this.. rev, spray & close the carb with his hand.. & he does it like 10 times..

can be done like that ka? not so clean i think..

boi

Known Member
Sep 4, 2008
one more thing dont simply2 adjust the TPS or your car will suck more fuel...:nurse::nurse::nurse::nurse::nurse::driver::driver:

feipepe

Known Member
May 12, 2010
balakong
bro zul,
r u planning to clean ur ae101 svt on this weekend? can u capture the photo and share to us 4ageclub member. coz i think a lot of ppl must interesting with this thread:rock:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
bro zul,
r u planning to clean ur ae101 svt on this weekend? can u capture the photo and share to us 4ageclub member. coz i think a lot of ppl must interesting with this thread:rock:
eh... no la..

i did my SVT a few months ago at a mechanic shop.. did top overhaul and cleans everything.. i think it's still clean :biggrin:

this weekend wanna do my KE70 carb.. alwayz jerking when full throttle :banghead:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
and just in time too..

i'm planning to clean my Carb this weekend.. :biggrin:

actually, i saw a pomen cleans a carb without opening it.. he juz rev the engine & spray the carb cleaner while engine running...

he do like this.. rev, spray & close the carb with his hand.. & he does it like 10 times..

can be done like that ka? not so clean i think..
Actually it's not gonna be so clean that way but it's easier than taking out everything and accidentally messing with the tuning. Carbs work in mysterious ways. My old Carb Wira was a nightmare to clean, everytime I took it apart, I'd always have to retune it because something would go out of synch. Very irritating. EFI for life! Hehe :biggrin:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Actually it's not gonna be so clean that way but it's easier than taking out everything and accidentally messing with the tuning. Carbs work in mysterious ways. My old Carb Wira was a nightmare to clean, everytime I took it apart, I'd always have to retune it because something would go out of synch. Very irritating. EFI for life! Hehe :biggrin:
yeah.. EFI for life..

just need the $$$..

:biggrin:

Last edited:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
update..

done my 'cleaning'.. not as thoroughly as Izso did.. but ok la..

buy a can of STP Carb Cleaner.. and follow instruction on d can..

pictures enclosed..

Attachments

ylkien

Known Member
May 17, 2005
KL/PJ
Nice DIY.

Just a few notes. Make sure the adjustment screws are not changed, else will need to recalibrate the TB.

There should also be a small gap between the valve and body (the carbon that you clean off is blocking this).

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
regard the second and third picture from D7zul, may i know what is the 2 sharp rod which looks like the sharp edge of a drinking straw are for? Wonder what is it use for and where it leads to? Can i spray carb cleaner into it?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
regard the second and third picture from D7zul, may i know what is the 2 sharp rod which looks like the sharp edge of a drinking straw are for? Wonder what is it use for and where it leads to? Can i spray carb cleaner into it?
not sure what those rods are for.. there are similar rods further down the carb & it supply fuel to d engine..

i only spray at places that's with oil stain.. the rods are sweaky clean.. so, i don't bother to spray on it :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Something rather interesting about the future of tyres.

Michelin plans to make all of its tyres with recycled, renewable, biosourced materials and go 100% sustainable by 2050. In this video, it shows in brief the materials and processes involved to achieve that.

In 2017, Michelin introduced the VISION Concept tyre which featured an...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience