Cost of service for proton iswara

Dec 3, 2006
Hi,

Here is a typical cost of service on my proton iswara 1.3, which is now 7 years old:

I send my car to an authorised proton service centre regularly.

The following service was done on 4/10/2008

Major Service 180000km
Brake Fluid (Dot 4) - 2 btl -RM 19.66
Injector Cleaner 250ml - 1btl -RM17.90
Windscreen cleaner 60ml - 1btl - RM5.20
Fuel Filter -1pc -RM6.85
Oil Filter -1pc -RM9.47
Gasket Rocket CV P/ISwara (Engine Gasket, they say have to change on major service) -1pc - RM29.04
Engine Oil Shell Helix HX7 4L (Semi-synthetic) -1 btl - RM99.00
Gear Oil SAE80W90 GL-5 18LTR (Have to change on major service)- 2ltr - RM33.48
Coolant -1btl -RM28.34
Spark Plug P/12V (C52LS) (Normal type) -4pcs -RM22.79
Gasket Engine Oil Pan Drain (It's at the bottom of engine, where they drain the oil. They say have to change in every service) -1pcs -RM1.94
Labour charge - 1unit -RM90.00

Please share your thoughts on the charges above, whether they are reasonable, more expensive.. etc..

They package their service by minor service, major service according to km

I send my car to the authorised proton service centre because of the assurance that they supply genuine parts and very very rarely use other independent/ third party service centers. I'm not sure if those standalone or third party can provide equivalent quality of service.

Attached the bill as reference.

Part 2 - Brake Pump replacement

Right after the above service was done, on my way home, I found that my brake was not working. Only when I step on the pedal 2 to 3 times only the brake is activated. I called up the service centre and they said could be a brake pump is faulty

So I went back to the service centre on 6/10/2008. I had the brake pumps changed.

Cost of brake pump replacement:
Brake master pump - RM187.71
Brake fluid dot 4 - 2 btls - RM19.66
Body pump - RM260
Rear brake pump 2 units -RM116
Labour for change brake/master -RM63

I am wondering why they did not manage to check that the brake pump is leaking during the earlier service.

Attachments

Last edited:

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
if i were you...i send to my trusted workshop...he get me things from chopshop.but the braking performance is way better and the price is cheaper...

Oct 13, 2006
bro.. the labour charges unreasonable.. very damn expensive.. the last time i go n service my car also.. they charge rm60 per hour service. then if that was major service, more then hundred.
better you go to outside service centre. labour charge cheap but quality.. sometimes better then proton svc ctre..

Major Service 180000km
Brake Fluid (Dot 4) - 2 btl -RM 19.66
Injector Cleaner 250ml - 1btl -RM17.90 - u can get at outside for rm9 same brand, same manufacturer
Windscreen cleaner 60ml - 1btl - RM5.20 this 1 no need to buy la.. only rm1.50 outside
Fuel Filter -1pc -RM6.85
Oil Filter -1pc -RM9.47
Gasket Rocket CV P/ISwara (Engine Gasket, they say have to change on major service) -1pc - RM29.04
Engine Oil Shell Helix HX7 4L (Semi-synthetic) -1 btl - RM99.00
Gear Oil SAE80W90 GL-5 18LTR (Have to change on major service)- 2ltr - RM33.48
Coolant -1btl -RM28.34 this price, u can buy 9 bottle coolant already
Spark Plug P/12V (C52LS) (Normal type) -4pcs -RM22.79
Gasket Engine Oil Pan Drain (It's at the bottom of engine, where they drain the oil. They say have to change in every service) -1pcs -RM1.94
Labour charge - 1unit -RM90.00-this 1, sometimes FOC for outside srvice centre

why u want to pay more.. xcept ur car still warranty.

KhonBaRot1

Nov 20, 2008
Doesn't matter if it is a 7 year old or a 1 year old iswara, the pricing that this outfit charged u is stiff.
For quality products such as dot4 brake oil, semi synthetic engine oil, manual gear oil etc, that suppose to make our saga/iswara capable of performing its best, and us as owners feels good as we already done our best to give the best stuffs possible to our ride, its best to buy the goodies at a spare part supplier shop - we will get a better price, and recce around for a reliable mechanic to do the servicing and maintenance of the car.

Some would say if u pay peanut, u'll get monkeys, but heck! i'm driving a '91 mega valve, the car looks good, still can do a 4 - 4.5hrs twice a month KL-Dungun trips, no probs to have some fun with the other more superior wheels on the Gombak - Karak hillies, and i'm doing all this without a need to set my foot in any of the proton service centres.

My advice to u, talk to other members in this forum for mechanic recommendations and recce around for a few workshops urself, its cool for both us and the machine to get the best value for our hard earned cash my bro.

on the brake pump/servo stuffs - i agreed with Doink, u could get a much better braking performance fm a chop shop item that a good mechanic could advise u at the price u r paying.

on why they can't detect the leaking pump while they serviced ur brakes (while they were pumping and braking and pouring those brake fluid, they must have forgot that ur iswara is already 7 years old, the rubber part needs replacement) - u could figure it out urself i think - hehe.
Try not to go there again bro, get another mechanic to look after ur car. or go to another service centre if u must send ur car to a proton service centre in the future.

4G15P_Asthma

Aug 14, 2008
Authorised P***** service center have only objective which starts with capital P = PROFIT!

So they take advantage on clueless car owners like you and me (a lil' bit smarter now :biggrin:)
Those item individual prices are ridiculous. Mingle around with auto-freaks for car-related-info, so next time we will not get conned.

Joining ZTH a good step bro, welcome aboard :itsme:

gaiusbaltar

May 28, 2007
if i were you...i send to my trusted workshop...he get me things from chopshop.but the braking performance is way better and the price is cheaper...
Iswara brake not so makan, thinking to upgrade, mind to recommend me to your trusted mechanic ? thx

mosesmk

Known Member
Feb 21, 2012
Selangor
Authorised P***** service center have only objective which starts with capital P = PROFIT!

So they take advantage on clueless car owners like you and me (a lil' bit smarter now :biggrin:)
Those item individual prices are ridiculous. Mingle around with auto-freaks for car-related-info, so next time we will not get conned.

Joining ZTH a good step bro, welcome aboard :itsme:
A reason for me to stop visiting them after my 1st service. after that all diy. lazy time just went to trusted mechanic.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Iswara brake not so makan, thinking to upgrade, mind to recommend me to your trusted mechanic ? thx
Bro, which location are you?