Conditioned C.A. I. Reserve

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
This is a crazy idea to channel some conditioned cold air from the cabin (foot blower) into the airbox reserve compartment.

Why the "foot blower"? This is the least used function of the a/c system. I don't use it, my wife don't use it, no one use it so why waste it?

Setting? Set the blower direction to the middle of "face" and "foot". Speed is controled by the blower fan speed, temperature controled by the thermostat knob.

The stock intake is still the main intake. Only a small amount of conditioned air from the cabin is blown into the reserve compartment of the airbox, accumulating there at low RPM speed, and surge out during acceleration. Air taken by the engine will be filled by the air seeping into the cabin through the tiny gabs and holes around the car (you think it's air tight don't you?).

How it goes? Well? If set at max blower speed, can hear a sharp whinning sound presumably from the corrugated hose. The sound is even sharper and louder in the airbox. With all four blower windows on the dashboard closed, I can hear my car singing with different tone at different RPM! Haha!

Without the filter element in the airbox, I can feel a constant stream of "cool breeze" flowing out from the reserve compartment. Quite strong, that i think strong enough to cool down the temperature of the intake charge. By 2 deg C? I have no idea, but i purposely put it before the ITC sensor so that any change in the temperature can be accurately measured.

Monitoring the engine smoothness, FC and performance. Should be useful for hot sunny day craw without worrying about the lifespan of the blower motor (as in another idea of my friend), or get suffocated in the cabin (some suggested to plug the engine intake on the firewall).

http://drexchan.fotopic.net/c980297.html

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
SkYwAlKeR said:
wah brader.... respect lar sifoo...
but will it suck too much a/c air when u rev high, making ur a/c choke??...
no lar.. the corrugated tube/hose is less than 2.0 cm in diameter.. not much air is blown into the airbox. Remember, air is blown into the airbox by the electrical blower, not being sucked in by the engine.

How much air entering the airbox depends on the fan speed and the opening/closure of the a/c vents on the dashboard.

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
hmm... wat if a person dun normally drive with aircond on? this DIY wont work right?

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
nitrus said:
hmm... wat if a person dun normally drive with aircond on? this DIY wont work right?
That's for sure. Since the diameter of the tube is quite small, and the blower motor isn't strong enough to generate any positive boost, it will be useless to run the blower without running the compressor to cool the air.

The idea of this DIY is to improve the drivability especially during hot sunny day craw such as in traffic jam, which the engine speed is not very high from the idling..

The effect will be negligeable at higher RPM even with extra cool air supplied to the airbox. The flow mass of air through the main intake would be too high to be effectively cooled down.

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
drexchan said:
That's for sure. Since the diameter of the tube is quite small, and the blower motor isn't strong enough to generate any positive boost, it will be useless to run the blower without running the compressor to cool the air.

The idea of this DIY is to improve the drivability especially during hot sunny day craw such as in traffic jam, which the engine speed is not very high from the idling..

The effect will be negligeable at higher RPM even with extra cool air supplied to the airbox. The flow mass of air through the main intake would be too high to be effectively cooled down.
I get u bro .. But its a cool diy !! good idea too .. juz that i guess tat the most hardest part is putting the rubber on the firewall back in place right? mwahhahaahaha.. Coz i took it out from the door side b4 too, dem hard to put back... For ur case maybe not tho hehee..

I dont drive with the aircond set to the foot blower tho, coz if we do, it'll give less air to the main part of the aircond right? Since its all distributed to the top n foot blower...?

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
Super Cold Air intake + Super High Flow Intake.....without bonet and without air filter

just use fine net to cover the combustion mouth lol

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
goh,

no. you need to keep the engine bay warm so that the coolant temperature is within the range for the engine to run optimumly. Furthermore, the aerodynamic of the car will be distorted without the bonnet.

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
BTW, just came back from a simple test.. 175++ km/h in 4th gear and still going but road not long enough.. that's red line in 4th gear. What you guys think?

setting: temperature 6 o'clock, blower speed 2 (of 4) with 2 center vents closed.

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
Will redo everything with a smooth tube/hose. The corrugated hose make a sharp and loud wissle sound at full blast... very annoying..

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
drexchan said:
BTW, just came back from a simple test.. 175++ km/h in 4th gear and still going but road not long enough.. that's red line in 4th gear. What you guys think?

setting: temperature 6 o'clock, blower speed 2 (of 4) with 2 center vents closed.
wow... thats not bad, 175kmh...

btw, i thought with cold air intake, lower speed response will be better compare to high speed.... hmm...

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
er.... my car automatically disable the compressor at full throttle to protect it.

But this is something good and something bad too.

If the compressor is disable at full throttle.. it means the temperature of the blown out air will raise very fast and there will not be any effect in the CAI reserve...

Just a while ok lar.. BTW the main objective of this modification is not to make the car faster.. i am more concern on the FC.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

just wanna share, last week when i walk at car care section at carrefour i saw this microfibre cloth. i bought it - a pack of 2 pcs cloth. size about 8"X9" i guess. at RM12 if i not mistaken.

this cloth is very good for ur car, esp if u wash car urself. normally after wash, i use hand-towel to wipe but the problem is the towel will leave a fabric dust on the car. i found out:

1. it very soft - it will not leave a swirl mark. i oso use it for express polish.
2. it absorb water well - good...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience