CKD 2020 Proton X70 Launched! New 7-DCT & 2WD only

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

9.5 sec / 184ps / 300nm / 1.8L 4cyl turbo direct injection / 7 speed DCT / FWD / RM94,800 onwards

Proton's hugely successful X70 SUV is back with a new 2020 edition. No more automatic transmission, the updated Proton SUV gets a 7 speed dual clutch box, 1.8L turbo engine and is now proudly assembled in Malaysia. There'll be no 4WD option available this time around, for all 2020 X70 models will be streamlined to 2WD only

What's different

1.8L turbo now offers 15nm more in torque, to 300nm in total. Performance wise, Proton claims acceleration from zerotohundred has been improved by 1 sec from 10.5 secs to 9.5 secs, which is probably contributed by the new DCT transmission

7 speed dual clutch transmission from Geely replaces the older 6 speed auto. It uses the shift by wire knob instead of the mechanical selector kind and runs on a wet clutch system. There will be no steering shift paddles in the 2020 X70

Front ventilated seats is a new feature in the 2020 X70. It has 3 fan speed option, which circulate cool air through the seat and can be controlled via the infotainment system or voice command. Rear seats now recline with 2 step, 27 to 32 degrees of seat back adjustment and independent 60/40 split fold

Auto tailgate is now available on the Executive model onwards, which includes programmable height adjustment and can be operated via the key fob. Premium variants get the hands free foot swipe sensor

Prices

All 2020 X70 models will be 2WD, specced in the new 184ps engine 1.8 turbo GDI engine, 7 speed DCT transmission and differentiated by trim levels

Premium X RM122,800
Premium RM119,800
Executive RM106,800
Standard RM94,800

Colours

Space Grey (Premium & Premium X) Amour Silver, Jet Grey, Snow White, Cinnamon Brown (Executive, Premium, Premium X) Ruby Red

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
At those prices I guess the competition really can go eat sh%t unless they can somehow promote themselves to outclass this new x70.

@Tom how much better is the 7 speed over the old 6? YHKhong said in his vid it has more torque but it kept upshifting itself in manual mode. But I guess this SUV was never meant to be a "sporty" car anyway.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
At those prices I guess the competition really can go eat sh%t unless they can somehow promote themselves to outclass this new x70. @Tom how much better is the 7 speed over the old 6? YHKhong said in his vid it has more torque but it kept upshifting itself in manual mode. But I guess this SUV was never meant to be a "sporty" car anyway.
Unfortunately i've yet to sample the dct box, quite looking forward to trying it actually. I think it'll be a good replacement to the auto for sure

mofisa69

Nov 6, 2019
"Overall, yes, this 2020 X70 is a small step forward, not a big leap over the CBU model. But the fact is, the original X70 was a great car, and this new one is even better. At this price range, nothing even comes close – the Proton is in a class of its own.

Heck, I’ll say it again, even if it’s priced the same as the Honda CR-V or Mazda CX-5, the Proton X70 is still the one I would buy for myself, and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone looking for a family SUV. It’s a no brainer, really."

Hafriz from paultan.

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005

Heck, I’ll say it again, even if it’s priced the same as the Honda CR-V or Mazda CX-5, the Proton X70 is still the one I would buy for myself, and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone looking for a family SUV. It’s a no brainer, really."

Hafriz from paultan.
hmmm. any reason why it's better?

mofisa69

Nov 6, 2019
hmmm. any reason why it's better?
Obviously in term of price.
Highest torque of them all. 300Nm
7 speeds DCT.
Ventilated Front Seats with 'Boss Switch' for Front Passenger Seat, Reclinable Rear Seatbacks
Sunroof

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
7 speeds DCT.
Ventilated Front Seats with 'Boss Switch' for Front Passenger Seat, Reclinable Rear Seatbacks
Sunroof
doesn't the old premium spec have all that minus the 7speed?

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
Because Hafriz already bought the old CBU unit. :biggrin:
oh... but he only has a X70. must try all 3 at least a week or a mth to see which is better

7 speeds DCT.
Sunroof

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
"Overall, yes, this 2020 X70 is a small step forward, not a big leap over the CBU model. But the fact is, the original X70 was a great car, and this new one is even better. At this price range, nothing even comes close – the Proton is in a class of its own.

Hafriz from paultan.
assuming the top spec CX5 is the same price as the top spec X70.

I would buy the CX-5. No competition. 2.5T vs 1.8T with the handling. Worse case I’ll just bring an ice pack for my balls whenever I drive.

The best feature is definitely the new seat balls cooler and the DCT.

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
assuming the top spec CX5 is the same price as the top spec X70.

I would buy the CX-5. No competition. 2.5T vs 1.8T with the handling. Worse case I’ll just bring an ice pack for my balls whenever I drive.

The best feature is definitely the new seat balls cooler and the DCT.
That's what i will choose as well based on his sentences.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
That's what i will choose as well based on his sentences.
Right. Which is why it’s very odd someone would buy the X70 if priced the same as CR-V and CX-5. It’s not a logical and sound choice.

and I’m confident if priced the same the x70 will not be the best seller anymore. Probably the Honda.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Although the camouflage makes the car pictured look like something of a cross between a hearse and a delivery van, it is in fact a Ferrari, quite possibly a new 2+2 in the granturismo form factor. Spied testing at the track in Fiorano and snapped by a photographer, the new car is breeding rumours quicker than it runs laps.

The new Ferrari is expected to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience